Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - CHELTENHAM (h)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It may not seem like it, but we have not played Cheltenham that often. My most memorable is an FA Cup tie in 1970 when Pat Saward's shot shy team met Cheltenham in the FA Cup.

I knowledge of geography centred on the 92 FL clubs & I must have confused 'ham with Chelsford because I had this idea they came from Essex.

In those days, non league clubs were pretty beatable. They would start well but run out of steam & this was much the case with Albion winning 4-0. Colin Woofenden scoring one on a very rare appearence.

What i remember most though, as a young lad, was the unusual sight of a couple of bald footballers in the Cheltenham team. Now it may be fairly commonplace now, nearly every team has a 'skinhead' or 2 whether natual or shaved, but in 1970 baldness was seen as a sign of being old.

Think of it back then, Bobby Charlton, Jimmy Melia, Terry Hennesey, Ralph 'comb over' Coates...there really weren't many others. I do remember Wolves playing a Dutch (I think) team with 3 bald players.

So, can anybody explain this strange phernonemen?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
One nil last min Paul Rogers header at Withers in Cheltenhams first season as a league club. a drab affair spoiled by probably the most pedantic referee EVER.

And I can say that because we won.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here