Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - CARLISLE (a)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
What's happened to the Albion database, can't get on it. I sometimes need it to jog this old memory of mine

Still, I've only been to Carlisle twice and seen two fine wins. The hard fought 2-1 win on a cold winter's day was good but not as good as my 1st trip.

I believe it was the opening day of the season, Chris Cattlin was manager & the sun was shining. Engineering works meant that we had to leave Brighton station at 5.00am to travel to london via Littlehampton.

To get us in the mood, there were a few bottles of home made wine, the tea wine being a favourite, and it was a strange feeling arriving at Victoria at 7.00am already drunk.

Trains from london to carlisle were pretty fast and we were up there before midday for some more drinks ina pub called The Albion. And the Albion cruised to a 3-0 win in some style. can't remember who scored but probably the likes of Connor & Wilson.

Great day!

:drink:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Went to the game just after we'd gained promotion to the second division. Me and my family were staying with my grandma in the lake district, so we took a little de-tour to carlisle on the way back. It was 0-0, remember Lee Steele hitting the post late on. Brilliant Albion following, roughly 1,000

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Went to the game just after we'd gained promotion to the second division. Me and my family were staying with my grandma in the lake district, so we took a little de-tour to carlisle on the way back. It was 0-0, remember Lee Steele hitting the post late on. Brilliant Albion following, roughly 1,000

Yes lovely day out.

Coined on the way out by Carlisle fans even after we'd collected money on the train for the farmers affected by foot and mouth.

Terrible hangover on the way back so went into the "quiet zone" for a kip.

Had turned my radio off, but had left my headphones in by mistake.

Was woken up by an elderly man on the train asking me to turn the racket down.

Never forget that.. :D

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Yes lovely day out.

Coined on the way out by Carlisle fans even after we'd collected money on the train for the farmers affected by foot and mouth.

Terrible hangover on the way back so went into the "quiet zone" for a kip.

Had turned my radio off, but had left my headphones in by mistake.

Was woken up by an elderly man on the train asking me to turn the racket down.

Never forget that.. :D

I was carried off of the train at Euston, on the tube to London Bridge and put on another train that day with no shoes and socks on.

Excellent day out!

I was at that one; flew up with my dad and son, sadly it was my dad's last Albion game. Fond memory of him joining in with: 'Micky Adams's Blue and White Army' - not bad for a 71 year old.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
We spent Friday night In Lancaster before that game. Very quiet train to Carlilse on Saturday morning but after a pint or 2 the alcohol kicked in and it became a bit of a blur!

Bumped into Paul Dodds and his Carlilse mob one game and had to leave the pub pretty quickly and luckily jumped straight into 2 waiting taxis and we all survived!

We also had an infamous trip to Carlisle in 1999, seeing us win 1-0 on the Saturday and then seeing England v Belgium at the Stadium of Light on the sunday. I think that was the game when Aspinall scored for us and then left a dent in the pitch as he did a belly dive to celebrate the goal (I think it was an attempted sliding dive to celebrate but he sort of ground to a halt)

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths

Yep, me too. Virgin train was like a football special , everyone was pissed. Also got gobbed on by young Carlise fans when leaving the ground. Great day, awful match

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
1-0 win when Tubby Aspinall scored the winner against his old club.

that was on my 12th birthday i believe, and i was given birthday bumps outside the ground

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester

I went to that one. Decided to go to Gretna first to get a taste of Scotland, bought a tartan hat/ginger wig combo and had a Burger King at the motorway services.

Scotland is f***ing great.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak

The train was drunk dry (twice) on the way up.
I fell off my seat in the ground and took abnout 10 minutes to get back up.
So so drunk, great following that day. One of our systems people spoke to me for about 10 minutes in the ground. Saw him on monday and had absolutely no recollection of it!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here