Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most glorious events in your lifetime?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
This is probably quite disrespectful in relation to the hugely important examples mentioned previously, but for me it has to Buckley v Doncaster in the 98th minute. After seeing such wild celebrations in a packed new stadium, it suddenly dawned on me that we were 'back'.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
When Blair was elected I had such a sense of optimism, it felt like the start of an new era. History is not kind to some people and I now will always consider him Bush's poodle who took us into a war built on lies. I would hate to see Obahma going the same way but it is not inconceivable.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The moon landing was a very big deal especially with the rapid build up during the preceding Apollo missions, each one in itself was a big step for mankind and the technology available in the mid to late '60s. It was a hell of a challenge that JFK set for the US to put a man on the moon before the end of that decade. Just leaving the earths orbit, getting to the moon and returning safely where acheivements in their own rights, let alone a successful moonlanding. I think the culmination was Apollo 13 bringing home a damaged capsule that was running out of oxygen, the world seemed to hold its breath for a few days. I remember the BBC used to give the Apollo missions extensive coverage with Patrick Moore and James Burke becoming household names. Looking at the troubled history of the Space shuttle programme makes the acheivements of Apollo 20 years earlier seem even more startling.

This prompts me to recall the significance of JFK's (and to a greater extent his brother Bobby's) assassinations and how this seemed to affect the world at a time when the '60s were shaking off the gloom of the post WWII years and there was otherwise great optimism. My first proper awareness of politics was around '68 when there were images of mass protests against the US involvement in the Vietnam war, and a parallel with the Hungarian uprising which seemed to be a watershed in terms of the people speaking up against the superpowers.

Finally in a footie context it was the '66 Ingerland World Cup win that awoke my interest and the following season went to my first ever Albion game. Doesn't get more important than that for a little lad.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
This is a rather recent one but the Chilean Miners escaping is something that really choked me up (in a good way). Found myself glued to the telly watching each one come up and be greeted by their family. I don't know why that affected me as much as it did.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
"One small step for man....."

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's debatable if it was glorious but watching the Saddam statue being pulled down with my 5 day old son in my arms.

I really don't get this "winning the Olympics" thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Berlin wall coming down.

Scargill surrendering on the steps outside the NUM headquarters.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
The fall of apartheid.
On a more personal note, publication of my book.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Passing my 11+ exam

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Have to say the Berlin Wall coming down and the end of communism in November 1989. I don't know what it must have been like travelling behind the Iron Curtain to go to football, following England; very grim I imagine. .

Errr you couldn't - "travel behind the Iron Curtain to go and watch football, following England".

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The day the doctor told me my little girl would live. After being born three months prem, weighing 2lb 4oz, having three blood transfusions, having about 16 wires in her little body no bigger that my sky remote and two months in a incubator.....Six and a half years later she runs rings around me and has her pink kit with her name on the back.....fantastic.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How do you win the Olympics?

You bribe olympic officials with all manner of goods and additional high class prostitutes in their Sydney hotel rooms.
Not found out how we won them yet though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here