Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most famous person you have met, shook hands with and a chat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A weird one, is Peter Andre. I was staying in the same Courchevel hotel as him, some family members including Harvey, and a film crew. They are were filming a program.

I met him a number of times especially as their breakfast table was next to ours. I recall we had to sign a bunch of documents due to the filming. I spent one morning chatting with him at length outside in the snow whilst we waited for our ski buddies. Really nice guy and a lot lot smaller than I expected, petite . He was amazing with Harvey as well. He was such a nice guy one does ask why the f*** Katie Price?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not quite the same but I once tweeted on a post asking people to nominate great bass players.

I nominated Carlos D of Interpol, I said something along the lines of "He took the post-punk template laid down by Peter Hook and massively elevated it IMO."

Who should like my tweet? Peter Hook himself.

I asked Hooky in the gym what was his favourite debut album of all time, to which the answer is New Boots and Panties!!

YapBlue

Jan 9, 2024
Bumped into the Dalai Lama whilst in Oslo approx 10 years ago. We were staying at the same hotel and met whilst waiting for the lift. We spoke for 5 mins, just the two of us (with his bodyguards very close by!) - a moment I will never forget.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eve Baker, no less!

Me: Ali, Michael Johnson, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, (the then) Prince Charles (multiple times) and his first wife (ditto), Seb Coe, Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Matthew Pinsent, Jess Ennis (as was), Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Dan Marino… plus a few more.

Sorry, but you did ask.
How was Buzz Aldrin? I read his autobiography some time ago, an interesting read for a number of reasons. Strikes me as a interesting and complex, but overall nice, guy. Of your list, he's the one I'd most like to meet.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Pele. But I'd swap him for a few others on here. John Wetton, for example.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Terry Venables - when he was QPR manager at Toddington service station coming back from an away game in the 80's. Took the time to ask who we supported and how we got on. A complete gent.

Kevin Keegan - was on a golf trip to Le Touquet and they were filming pro-celebrity golf (the Peter Alliss thing). There were loads of celebs there, but Kevin was the only one who could be bothered to talk to the plebs!! A genuinely nice bloke.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sir David Jason.

It was when he was signing a new book about Only Fools And Horses about ten years ago. My favourite ever scene is without doubt the chandelier smashing down. He said the pressure on him and Nicolas Lyndhurst not to laugh was the most intense pressure he felt in his life. If they'd have balls it up by smiling or sniggering, the cost would have run into many thousands of pounds - and this was the early eighties! So they had to pretend the chandelier was like a relative losing their life. Still extremely hard but they managed the cut perfectly. Incredibly friendly genius. What a man. What a life lived. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How was Buzz Aldrin? I read his autobiography some time ago, an interesting read for a number of reasons. Strikes me as an interesting and complex, but overall nice, guy. Of your list, he's the one I'd most like to meet.
‘Complex’ is a fitting word. I dined with him on three occasions, all small groups. If I had the chance to do a fourth, I’d be washing my hair. Not because I hated him, but because I found him arrogant and I’d got everything out of my interactions that I felt I wanted to.

The one on that list that I most enjoyed was Michael Johnson; the least: Ali (simply because I was so saddened by what had become of him when I met him).

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I work in TV and film so meet a fair few folk and tend not to think much of it as not really impressed by all that.

However I did end up at a premiere for the James Blunt film last year - I was wearing a massive red sailors jacket as it was f***ing freezing and had to get back to the sticks after the show - so i looked totally out of place. The place was packed and post performance ended up making fairly awkward small talk with Blunt himself, before Ed Sheeran and Princess Beatrice ended in on the chat.

I suddenly realised i was TOTALLY out of place, and had no chat to add to this lot who were clearly all mates, made a shit joke about my coat and left.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nobody particularly famous….

Work wise…..(NHS).
Prof Sir Mike Richards - Cancer Tsar at the time, basically was my boss!
Chris Whitty

Similar to @hans kraay fan club played with/against quite a few ex-BHA through football, plus others.
Sully, OTM, Gerry Fell, John Templeman, Steve Piper, Tilts etc…. Osgood, Bobby Stokes, Jerry Murphy….. Played golf with Ron Harris.

Had a good chat with Trevor Brooking, Aitor Karanka (I think he was a bit scared, when I said I was a Brighton fan 😂), shortly after Stephens was sent off by Mike Dean.

Des Lynam
Norman Cook
Captain Sensible 😂
Bradley Walsh (bit of a prat)

All fairly insignificant

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
A few musicians..Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Brian May...oh yeah..and some bloke..Elton John..all very amicable and easy to chat to, I think Jimmy was my favourite, I was working in his house and was invited to sit down and have ( a very healthy) breakfast with him Top bloke.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite a few over the years, music and motorsport mostly.

Today @ Woodgood, I had a really nice chat with Darren Turner, Lovely man.

most famous . . . Probably Stirling Moss.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A weird one, is Peter Andre. I was staying in the same Courchevel hotel as him, some family members including Harvey, and a film crew. They are were filming a program.

I met him a number of times especially as their breakfast table was next to ours. I recall we had to sign a bunch of documents due to the filming. I spent one morning chatting with him at length outside in the snow whilst we waited for our ski buddies. Really nice guy and a lot lot smaller than I expected, petite . He was amazing with Harvey as well. He was such a nice guy one does ask why the f*** Katie Price?
Apparently Peter Andre was allegedly asked in an interview, what was memorable about being with Katie Price.
Answer was watching Harvey run into walls.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Met some proper randoms over the years, nearly all have been nice, bar a couple of exceptions.

John Hartson at Heathrow. Top guy, really friendly and chatty. Strangely it was about 5 minutes after I'd seen the non-bald one off masterchef and Lisa Faulkner in Smiths.
Andy Cole-miserable bastard.
Had drinks with Les Ferdinand and John Beresford- both fantastic and very drunk.
Stiffler from American Pie; Sean William Scott- very friendly and humble guy. Couldn't be any more different from his most famous character.
Served Katie Price when I was working at a petrol station while a student. Rocked up in her massive Pink Range Rover. Had a chat, she seemed ok tbf. Also served Paul Merton. Much more dour in real life than his tv persona.
Brian Fallon from Gaslight Anthem. Exactly the same as he is in interviews. Very chill and personable.
Stood in the queue with Richard Hammond at the US embassy when lining up for a visa. He was cool, chatting to everyone.
Former England butterfingered goalie Rob Green-another miserable sod.
Danny Murphy, good lad.
Worked at a PUMA store and the cricketers Herschelle Gibbs and Dwayne Bravo would come in with their personal shopping assistants and just empty the shelves. Neville Southall too.

Living in Singapore a lot of classic 90s prem footballers visit for various things throughout the year. Not met them but heard from people that have that Ian Wright, Fowler, Crouchy and Teddy in particular are all fantastic and a good laugh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
‘Complex’ is a fitting word. I dined with him on three occasions, all small groups. If I had the chance to do a fourth, I’d be washing my hair. Not because I hated him, but because I found him arrogant and I’d got everything out of my interactions that I felt I wanted to.

The one on that list that I most enjoyed was Michael Johnson; the least: Ali (simply because I was so saddened by what had become of him when I met him).
I wanted him to be nice, so I’m slightly disappointed to read he was arrogant. How was Neil?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I wanted him to be nice, so I’m slightly disappointed to read he was arrogant. How was Neil?
As you’d expect: the classic all-American ‘got what it takes’ hero. Quiet, reserved, humble, serious, oozed competence - deeply impressive. A man who you’d listen to when he talked, but not a man you’d want to have a beer with really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here