Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most awesome moments at a gig, ever?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Getting a bit bored with all the snowed in moaning going on so I thought I'd start an international thread that everyone can join in on - what were your three, or if you like single, most awesome moment(s) at a gig ever? Obviously I've got a few else I wouldn't have started the thread but if I'm goping to pin myself down I'd go for;
1) The first time I saw The Cure, my first ever gig, at Chelmsford Odeon in (I think May) 1980, I don't have my XL workbook with me at work Herr Tubthumper, on the Faith tour - they were using Pink Floyd's PA and it was life changing.
2) New Order doing Decades as an encore at the Royal Festival Hall during the Miners Strike on 18 May 1984 - the 4th anniversary of Ian Curtis' death - yes, it brough tears to my student eyes.
3) Jeff Buckley covering "I Know It's Over" by The Smiths in the beer garden at The Sandringham pub on the banks of the Swan River in Feb' 96.

I think we need a rock'n'roll smiley.......
:down:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interpol at Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium, about 4 years back.

They were there as support for Coldplay. As they walked on the dark clouds rolled over in perfect timing above them. Throughout their set the weather was looking more and more ominous, and then just as Daniel Kessler started the exquisite solo in NYC (the song, not the place you idiot), the heavens opened and it starting absolutely pouring it down. It was absolutely perfect.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The moment these guys switched on the lights at the toon:lol:

Attachments

• bakers.jpg
    bakers.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 433

scooter1

How soon is now?
Guns n Roses at Wembley in 92(I think) when they did We Will Rock You with Brian May, 80,000 people doing that clapping thing. I'm not a Queen fan and don't really care for GnR anymore but seeing that was something else. Or,

Groove Armada at Glastonbury in 2002 as they started Superstylin, the whole crowd bouncing up and down and a lovely hash waft through the air - awsome...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pink Floyd, Earls Court. Played DSOFM from start to finish. Sam Browns vocals on Great Gig in the Sky were truly amazing. Oh, and we had the aeroplane across the arena as well.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
When the Chemical Brothers played Saturate at Bestival 2007. The drop in that tune is f***ing ridiculous and the whole place went absolutely BONKERS. The light show that the Chems had that year was amazing, and the second best thing I've ever seen at a gig is probably their show at Glastonbury, same year. Extraordinary.

[yt]J8v_Cah-atg[/yt]

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
One of my favorite moments was seeing Ocean Colour Scene playing profit in peace at Glasgow Barrowlands. The crowd carried on singing the chorus for a good couple of minutes after the song finished and the band couldnt get them to stop, so just stood back and applauded until it reached its natural conclusion.

Years ago i went to see Simple Minds at Milton Keynes Bowl, one of the support acts were The Waterboys, I was totally blown away by them and watching the fiddler twirling from one side of the stage to the other was enough to make me dizzy, never mind him!

Ive had many very good experiences at gigs but the two biggest disappointments i have seen go to two of the biggest bands!
U2 at Wembley Stadium on the Joshua Tree tour, probably the first time i realised that Bono was so far up his own arse! I have never really liked them since. As a side note a few years ago they played Hampden Stadium and Bono kept clicking his fingers and said "every time i click my fingers, another child dies" someone near the front shouted back "well stop clicking yer fuckin fingers then" apparantly Bono was not amused :laugh:

The other disappointment for me was two years ago at Hampden, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, i dont know why i would blame the fact that it was a stadium gig but then Biffy Clyro who were supporting were excellent.

corkster

Apr 26, 2007
on the streets
Pink Floyd, Earls Court. Played DSOFM from start to finish. Sam Browns vocals on Great Gig in the Sky were truly amazing. Oh, and we had the aeroplane across the arena as well.

^^^^^^^^
This plus comfortably numb, and run like hell

AC/DC @ Donnington

AC/DC this yr x3 watching the begining of rock n roll train

AWESOME

Motorhead, supported by Girlschool, Manchester Free Trade Hall - Overkill tour. Quite simply the best metal concert I have ever been to or I ever expect to go to.

Add in the head in the bass bin for special effects and it was pure class from start to finish.

Jack Hackett

Jul 3, 2007
Pete Townshend joining The Clash on stage to play 'White Man In Hammersmith Palais' Top Rank Suite 1979. The Specials and The Pogues performing 'Message To You Rudi' at The Town and Country Club, 1988/89. Awesome.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Watching Deep Purple from VIP box in Brighton Centre 4 years ago. Amazing.

seeing Rollins Band for first time

Soulfly at Concorde was intense earlier this year.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Dead Kids The Great Escape 2008, lead singer ran into the sea mid-song. Worst gig i'd ever been to up until that point.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When Metallica launched into "So What" at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993, that did it pretty good for me.

But I guess the most awesome was when Led Zeppelin played Stairway to Heaven at the O2.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Newcastle riverside Oasis about 1994 i think, was side of stage when some bloke jumped on stage and punched Noel Gallagher, chaos ensued and near riot kicked off. Locked in changing room for 20 minutes all armed with anything we could find, went out back and van windows put through. Basically fought our way out smacking drunk geordies left right and centre.

Specials at brixton earlier this year, just because i had waited all my life to see them and the build up of excitement was immense with the dj helping with playing geno just before they came on. brilliant.

THird would be a tie between Stone roses or Pixies at bristol bierkellar. pixies for sheer noise and excitement roses for atmosphere and pills.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Nine Inch Nails playing Hurt as an encore at the Oxegen festival earlier this year was pretty special, especially as it was their last ever tour. Sent shivers down my spine.

Pitchshifter at the Pavilion Theatre back in about 1998 was another highlight. Really intimate gig but the atmosphere was immense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here