Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moscow

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
We went in February so my memories are that is was cold.

Red Square is surrounded by St Basil's Cathedral, The Kremlin, GUM department store and Lenin's tomb all of which are worth a look. We had one meal in that area but it was very expensive- even Vodka was £4.00 a shot- so I would suggest looking for cheaper (and frankly nicer) restaurants. Our hotel was probably a mile and a half from Red Square and their were nice places to eat on the main roads.

We saw a museum too which was OK- I think it was the State Historical Museum.

The underground is worth seeing.

We only did 2 nights then went onto St Petersburg. Probably more tourist friendly there and we enjoyed it too. I never felt threatened or likely to be ripped off in Moscow though we didn't stray far from the main tourist areas. I remember the visas being a headache to get- we had to pay an online 3rd party to sort the details out.

Hope you enjoy!

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
It is interesting, everyone I have met that went just for a couple of nights comes back with the same view as you lot.

Those that go for just a day or two longer have a different opinion, ie if there long enough, you see through the doom and gloom and find bars and the like that are cheaper and maybe friendlier. Which is the same the world over.

Anyway, my opinion doesn't count as I'm biased, lived there for 3 years in the 1990s and been back several times. I f***ing love the place.

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Just sitting at Moscow airport waiting for the plane home.

Lets just say Moscow isn't really set up for or interested in tourists. The main things we came to see (Kremlin and St Basil's cathedral) have been closed all weekend despite contrary info on their websites. Everywhere is really expensive (£17 for two coffees earlier) and trying to rip you off. It's dusty everywhere and the tube is very hard to navigate if you don't speak Russian.

As for the people - I have never come across a country where everybody is so bloody miserable all the time.

Oh, and it appears smoking is compulsory once you reach about age 12 (including in shops/hotels/restaurants).

And I missed the Wolves game to come here.

My wife (Russian although not originally from Moscow she has spent the last 15 years or so there with Uni and her first marriage) has done a review of your review on her UK Blog.

It is not aimed at you personally but is intended as a general comment on Russia/UK

She wrote..
Hostile Moscow
My husband shared the review (this British person obviously went to Moscow for the weekend and was quite disappointed with the city).

She quotes your review in full

then
Though of course sneaky Russians are not to blame for the fact that this devoted Seagulls supporter missed the game I can't but agree with most what he wrote.

Sadly Moscow isn't very friendly to tourists - that's true. Tourism isn't (and has never been) the main sphere of concern for the city authorities. Nearly nothing is done to make the city attractive to tourists. Which is incredibly sad because Moscow is absolutely unique: Russian architecture, churches, historic building are amazingly different from what you can see in any other city in Europe.
But Moscow is indifferent to what impression the city and its ways make on foreign guests.
More than 10 years ago when I then a student worked part-time as a tour guide in Moscow (mostly with American guests) I was deeply upset about how little was done to make the city welcoming to foreigners. But I was hoping it would change in a 5-10 years time. Apparently I was naive. It is still scary, unfriendly and confusing.

What can a foreign visitor do to make their stay in Moscow nice and pleasant?
What should you do if - in spite of all the notoriety of the city and ill reputation of "sneaky f**king Russians" - you still want to see something amazingly unique, feel this spirit of classical historic buildings and the divine atmosphere of Russian Orthodox churches?

Here are some tips:
1. Make some Russian friends before going to Moscow. They can be your pen-palls, some people you meet on the Internet or ask your friends if they know any Russians living in Moscow. It's always helpful when being in Moscow you will have some phone numbers of Russians whom you can call and ask for help, for directions, for tips or even translation.
You will be surprised to see that "unfriendly Russians" (it's how we appear to look in the streets) when you know them are eager to help, to guide and offer support.
2. Make a kind of plan of what you want to see before going. Moscow unlike Prague or Berlin can't boast of lots of opportunities for enjoying each and every place. You can just wander around but you are unlikely to enjoy it. Make a list: Kremlin, Red Square, The Tsaritsyno Park, The Tretyakov Gallery - whatever, it will give you a clear idea of where you can go.
3. Get acknowledged with Moscow Metro (Underground) and find out what stations you will need. All the stops in the underground are announced in Russian only - so better make a route for yourself and write the names of the stations you need in Russian (just copy the letters) so that you can simply show this to people and ask for guidance if needed.
4. Get a guide book with some phrases in Russian: you might not be able to pronounce them correctly but again - you can always show your guide-book to passers by in the streets or to policemen.

I decided against giving links to the blog but if any one wants it message me.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My wife (Russian although not originally from Moscow she has spent the last 15 years or so there with Uni and her first marriage) has done a review of your review on her UK Blog written in English.

There is also a Russian blog written in Russian (Google near translate will give an idea of what it approximately says for non Russian readers don't think there is anything football there but she does have a lot about Yam Yam's.

Thanks for the link and glad it's not just me. In fact we had made an itinerary based on the information available to us it was just the main things (kremlin, most of red square including Lenin's tomb and St Basil's) were all closed in advance of the victory parade on 9th May with absolutely no notice or information posted anywhere. The websites directly contradicted what actually was open and when. I just found the whole Moscow experience incredibly frustrating and listening to others on the plane home was not alone. I was especially disappointed as it was somewhere I had looked forward to visiting for some time.

Not to worry as I am going back to Berlin next month which is a fantastic city.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
My mate just got married to a stunning Russian lady from St. Petersburg. I have been trying to sort out a visa to visit them. It seems to work well when you are part of a tour and will be staying at a hotel, but when you are staying at a friend’s apartment it seems to get very complicated. I will persevere, looks like I’ll have to use an agency – why don’t they just take your money like any other country issuing visas. My mate says it’s because Russians are paranoid and like to keep track of every visitor. So are Americans but at least they don’t care if your address is a hotel or an apartment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here