Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More views on Saturday from an Ipswich supporter

RonFearonsHair

Oct 2, 2011
Evening chaps.

I guess you could say Brighton are my 'second team' if such a thing were to exist. I lived down there for a couple of years and was in the Goldstone North Stand when you beat us on the last day of the season to get to the play-offs. I even cheered when you scored that free-kick near the end to win the game as we had nothing to play for and it was great to see an exciting end to a season.

I went to Priestfield to see you play Donny in 1998, missing us thump Port Vale 5-1 in the process. A little weird but certainly uplifting to see you both back in the second division 13 years later.

I digress, so to Saturday. I actually think you committed one fundamental error. You offered us too much respect. We aren't as good as you seemed to think we were. After you took the lead and then dominated us for the next 5 minutes I was wondering why you hadn't taken the initiative and attacked us more in the first half. I have seen talk on here about your defenders 'keep-ball' tactics. I think it suited our relatively 'mature' squad not to chase the ball about and keep it slow. I feel that you scored at the wrong time, if that's even possible. You didn't seem sure whether to push on or try and hold out for half an hour.

I hadn't realised until today that your man with the goal had such a pedigree. He's no Darren Currie though right? Your number 3 seemed quite composed in the first half. Something we were missing terribly until Sonko and Collins arrived.

I thought we were ok. We're nothing special by any means and I expect we will do well to finish in the 10th place we currently occupy. But thankfully going to football no longer feels like going to get an injection like it did under Keane.

I know our atmosphere is generally poor. Saturday was one of the best atmospheres we have had in years, though not a patch on what it used to be. Again, Keane's style of football sucked a lot of the life out of the club. I know the goal music is shocking, I hate it. We actually don't always play it and I don't think we needed it this time. Every time there is a vote 'no music' wins but nothing gets done about it.

I thought your fans were fairly good. I sit down in the corner where the players entrance is and I thought your support and our North stand probably matched each other. It was weird how quiet it went at 3-1. I think it demonstrates how stunned we were to see some attacking football and for it to pay off. Saints fans were good the other week too but it helps that you've both just had good seasons and had started this one well. Of course they had the bonus of tearing us to shreds.

I hope Taricco's learning a lot. I would love him back here as a number 1 one day.

Having been following you more closely over the years than I do other clubs I sincerely hope you complete your story and make it that final step.

Cheers and good luck.

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
cheers mate i didnt go, after tuesday im still in mourning and left it to the day to decide. i love the way we play and if our back 5 could up the tempo about 30% then i really think we would benefit massively, been to portman road once before and its a good old fashioned ground. anyway gl for the season

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nice one. How long have you been an Ipswich supporter for?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Good report. I enjoyed the day out, apart from the result. Friendly fans, who seemed impressed that we were taking an interest in the Robson and Ramsey statues. Regarding your defence, I'd love to have Collins and Sonko as our centre halves. Either one would be enough.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Seems like we caught you on a good day. Thought your fans were very quiet but there has been some discussion on acoustics. Think our players have lost a bit of confidence and seemed a bit nervous that may have explained our lack of attacking flair, usually our strength. First visit to your ground, loved it and found your fans and town folk very friendly. Good luck with your season

RonFearonsHair

Oct 2, 2011
Nice one. How long have you been an Ipswich supporter for?

I was only old enough to start going to games in 1989. Shortly after we moved to Brighton. I still didn't really have a solid allegiance, what with being a kid. But we moved back up here and I started going more regularly to see Ipswich. If we hadn't moved back I could well have been in the away end on Saturday! Though in saying that Ipswich has always felt like 'home' so who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here