Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] More than 40,000 have crossed the channel this year.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I voted for Brexit because I lived in the USA. I saw how unwieldy multiple states can be in terms of making decisions. Accountability is passed around like pass the parcel.

When an entity becomes that large, there is little thought for local society. There is a great deal of finger pointing.

Regulation becomes very difficult, and extraordinarily costly, because it’s hard to enforce in a consistent manner.

If we don’t perform as a country, government, local government, council, who do blame as part of Europe? It removes accountability.

I think this government is pretty shit but they are absolutely 100% accountable.

So you can accuse every Brexit voter of being an imbecile but I stand by my vote.

Don’t assume we’re all morons. I, for one, read many books about this and am pretty angry about your trite comments.
So the US should break up into seperate states, call themselves the un-united states, have border controls everywhere, seperate currencies and if I wanted to travel i'd need 20-odd visas for every state?

What a brilliant idea

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
This makes me think you were not paying close enough attention to those

Perhaps it`s you who should read a few books , and read about how before joining the EU we had shipyards all round the British isles building some of the biggest and best ships both Merchant and Royal Navy . You can also read about how many aircraft companies we had building al types of planes including some of the worlds best fighter planes , also how many car manufacturers we had , that we now don`t .

Due to the EU agreement we were hamstrung right up until Brexit , the current Government has made a giant balls of things yes , but can you see any better from anywhere else ? . It will take time , but we will grow our economy for the benefit of us not for Brussels . We were the go to country for funds for all those that weren`t pulling their weight , continually being told by Eurocrats what we can and cant do .

Ask yourself this , if we weren`t so important to them , why did they make it so bloody hard for us to leave ? .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That's fair enough and if you read a lot about it, then the increase in channel migration, raging inflation, the longest recession on record, the problem with the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, the inability to implement JRM's 'act of self harm' Import controls, the shortages of staff in the NHS, Care sector, Hospitality, Logistics etc etc (I could go on) will have been completely expected and you will have got exactly what you voted for (y)
do you think the migrant issue would have been more manageable if we remained in Europe ...?? 40,000 migrants at 300 quid a week being housed , fed etc. ....well over half a billion quid to be found per annum , its an unanswerable problem in my view , it's going to have to pan out over time , will it end well....i don't think so.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
ees complicated isnt it? the act of crossing a border without passport is illegal, while claiming asylum once here is legal. this illegal/legal status is mutable, they change from one to the other. then once they abscond they change again. we dont return them to France because they aren't French or have any more right to be there, no legal basis to do so.

many other countries have this way of only allowing asylum claims once in the country (or at least the border, they dont want to move the problem of managing them to embassies and consulates around the world, flying or coaching claimants in. thats obviously something that needs to change, at least for the channel crossings we could have some reception centre in France (if they allow it) and charter ferries to bring them over. good luck putting that in a manifesto, that wouldnt go down well, beyond the Farrage followers.
President Macron offered to have a processing centre in France, but Theresa May turned him down,
It’s almost as If this government have a need to keep pointing the finger at reasons for their failures.
Perhaps it`s you who should read a few books , and read about how before joining the EU we had shipyards all round the British isles building some of the biggest and best ships both Merchant and Royal Navy . You can also read about how many aircraft companies we had building al types of planes including some of the worlds best fighter planes , also how many car manufacturers we had , that we now don`t .
Due to the EU agreement we were hamstrung right up until Brexit , the current Government has made a giant balls of things yes , but can you see any better from anywhere else ? . It will take time , but we will grow our economy for the benefit of us not for Brussels . We were the go to country for funds for all those that weren`t pulling their weight , continually being told by Eurocrats what we can and cant do .

Ask yourself this , if we weren`t so important to them , why did they make it so bloody hard for us to leave ? .
Cornwall used to get an EU grant every year, and was promised as much by the government, only to find it was false promises.

Manufacturing went to the Far East in the 70s, nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with cheap labour.
Far from being told what to do by Brussels, Britain wrote much of it.

These are old arguments and facts proved so I won’t convince you.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Maybe you could give an example or two of things they did that 'made it so bloody hard to leave' :dunce:

do you think the migrant issue would have been more manageable if we remained in Europe ...?? 40,000 migrants at 300 quid a week being housed , fed etc. ....well over half a billion quid to be found per annum , its an unanswerable problem in my view , it's going to have to pan out over time , will it end well....i don't think so.

If you simply read the posts on this thread, you will see that the 'migrant issue' was already weaponised prior to Brexit, and formed a significant part of the case for Brexit. Yes, I know that not everyone who voted Brexit was xenophobic or worse :rolleyes:, but getting all the xenophobes in Britain to vote for it was a bloody good start. Prior to all this, for decades, we had very reasonable and well run immigration and asylum schemes.

As with so many things, the underlying problem was already there and gathering speed and Brexit simply turbocharged it. So yes, with Dublin II it would have been 'more' manageable', but what is really needed is a Government who put together a serious and fair immigration and asylum policy again.

And this one most definitely won't, as the current policy is the only thing that's keeping the dregs of their support happy and noisy :facepalm:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just can't get my head around why a scheme can't be put in place whereby companies that desperately want experienced workers are able to sponsor individual experienced workers that desperately want work. It's hardly rocket science

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Our industries were falling apart before we joined the EU. British Layland, Cunard....uncompetitive, strikes....When Thatcher got in she closed what was left of it, with a plan that the UK would move into the 'service industry' sector. The demise of British Industry had nothing to do with joining the EU. In fact I'm not even sure I ever recall hearing such a narrative. It is simply foundless.

And they didn't make it hard for us to leave at all. The tories kept voting down all their own departure plans. May's plans. The EU just shrugged its shoulders. Eventually one of May's plans was accepted - when it was proposed by her successor, Johnson. And we still haven't fixed the departure proper because the ulster proddies won't sit in their own parliament because Westminster hasn't sorted out where the border with the EU will be - the Irish Sea or the border between Ulster and Eire. Everything may turn out OK eventually, but if I shat on my living room carpet everything would turn out OK eventually. The question is: why do it?

Frankly I'm not personally affected by Brexit. House paid for, nice pension, but I raise an eyebrow at the notion that people in less comfortable circumstances have been set free by leaving the EU. And the idea that the EU made it hard for us to leave is simply nonsense. I am astonished, frankly, they made it so easy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just can't get my head around why a scheme can't be put in place whereby companies that desperately want experienced workers are able to sponsor individual experienced workers that desperately want work. It's hardly rocket science
I am having to do 'right to work' checks and goodness knows what else to re-emply someone to help my teaching (lab technician) who is already employed by my institution. What seems to have happened is the 'health and safety' industry (and what a wheeze that is) has invented itself, and more and more processes to justify its own existence. I was just sent a questionnaire asking me if I teach any under 18s. The answer is that I don't know (the college does let in child prodigies, but I have no idea if I teach any of them). Consequently, I am now having to go through a thorough nonse and pervert vetting process, possibly involving anal probing. In triplicate.

There is no chance now that anything sensible will be put into place for anything. We have now crossed what Douglas Adams called the 'show event horizon', only it is the procrastination even horizon, where it is no longer economically viable to do anything other than procrastinate.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Rather than being a clunky unaccountable mess, the EU, with us in it, managed legal and illegal immigration well.
Strictly speaking, doesn't the EU manage immigration by paying Turkey and other less than great countries money to stop them crossing the border?
Something I recall the Guardian complaining about regularly prior to the referendum being called, when it suddenly clashed with their position and disappeared for about 4 years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I voted for Brexit because I lived in the USA. I saw how unwieldy multiple states can be in terms of making decisions. Accountability is passed around like pass the parcel.

When an entity becomes that large, there is little thought for local society. There is a great deal of finger pointing.

Regulation becomes very difficult, and extraordinarily costly, because it’s hard to enforce in a consistent manner.

If we don’t perform as a country, government, local government, council, who do blame as part of Europe? It removes accountability.

I think this government is pretty shit but they are absolutely 100% accountable.

So you can accuse every Brexit voter of being an imbecile but I stand by my vote.

Don’t assume we’re all morons. I, for one, read many books about this and am pretty angry about your trite comments.
Would you vote for the breakup of the USA ?

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Yes. This problem exploded post leaving the EU, when pre leaving it seemed to be running OK, unless you think that's just a coincidence?

People were pursuaded to vote leave saying the migration problem was all the EU's fault and if we left we could take back control and manage it better

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes. This problem exploded post leaving the EU, when pre leaving it seemed to be running OK, unless you think that's just a coincidence?

People were pursuaded to vote leave saying the migration problem was all the EU's fault and if we left we could take back control and manage it better
To be clear migration isn't, in itself, a problem.
People will move around as they did before we were in the EU, while we were and since we left. And we're better off for it.
Politically the important thing is that the government gove the impression of having some control over it, not the actual numbers coming or going.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
President Macron offered to have a processing centre in France, but Theresa May turned him down,
It’s almost as If this government have a need to keep pointing the finger at reasons for their failures.

Cornwall used to get an EU grant every year, and was promised as much by the government, only to find it was false promises.

Manufacturing went to the Far East in the 70s, nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with cheap labour.
Far from being told what to do by Brussels, Britain wrote much of it.

These are old arguments and facts proved so I won’t convince you.
Your talking rubbish , what manufacturing went to the far east that had anything to do with what i mentioned , because as far as i`m aware they never built a Leander class frigate for us , or a type 21 ,22 ,or 23 , so do you know something i don`t about this ? .

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Frankly I'm not personally affected by Brexit. House paid for, nice pension, but I raise an eyebrow at the notion that people in less comfortable circumstances have been set free by leaving the EU. And the idea that the EU made it hard for us to leave is simply nonsense. I am astonished, frankly, they made it so easy.
Brexiters still beleiving the same old crap from the same old liars rather than admit they were conned. Even now they still think that the EU was just there to rule over us rather than something we were part of and ratified all the decisions made

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Maybe you could give an example or two of things they did that 'made it so bloody hard to leave' :dunce:

If you simply read the posts on this thread, you will see that the 'migrant issue' was already weaponised prior to Brexit, and formed a significant part of the case for Brexit. Yes, I know that not everyone who voted Brexit was xenophobic or worse :rolleyes:, but getting all the xenophobes in Britain to vote for it was a bloody good start. Prior to all this, for decades, we had very reasonable and well run immigration and asylum schemes.

As with so many things, the underlying problem was already there and gathering speed and Brexit simply turbocharged it. So yes, with Dublin II it would have been 'more' manageable', but what is really needed is a Government who put together a serious and fair immigration and asylum policy again.

And this one most definitely won't, as the current policy is the only thing that's keeping the dregs of their support happy and noisy :facepalm:
Why don`t i just give you one example of the EU trying to control GB during the Brexit process that will illustrate what they have done to us since we joined , like taking illegal control of a British factory producing vaccine for Covid 19 because the fuckwits didn`t plan for the need or amount themselves , instead taking ours because they were even dumber and less prepared than Boris ? .

P.s. the hat suits you .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Which books did you read about this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here