Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More people up in arms over LDC

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
roz said:
There are new rules about councillors speaking out before they act in a quasi-judicial context. So, for example, if they sat on the planning committee which was going to consider a specific application, they can't spout up about it before the meeting.

In this instance, my understanding is that (with the exception of the Chairman of the forthcoming full Council meeting) they can comment ahead of the meeting. So far as the Lib Dems are concerned, I suspect that their silence has everything to do with instructions from above about being roasted on pointy sticks or having their nads nailed to the door of the Council Chamber if they do.

Or perhaps because some of them know they've made an unwise and undemocratic decision in secret and haven't the guts to defend it now the shit has hit the municipal fan.

My understanding is that members of the LDC cabinet are indeed still bound to some degree by this quasi-judicial process - especially if the full council meeting does decide to refer it back to the cabinet.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
"The council has already spent £207,000 in its fight against the Albion's proposed stadium"

You think that would be enough to get the tax payers pissed off - never mind the upcoming expenses.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Keep the heat on. Every step of the way. Make them think twice about every pound they spend. This 25K won't be the last.

:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the same page is an inset from Lewes Bridge View Junior Football Club sending a newsletter to more than 200 members advising them to lobby councillors not to go ahead with an appeal against the Albion yes decision.

In a nutshell this organisation were told by Lewes council there was no money to repair their dangerous pitches just days before councillors agreed to spend thousands in the courts.
They were told a couple of years ago the funding was available and they're still waiting.
This is from a guy called Paul Brinkhurst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here