Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More PC help please!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
When it came out, an 8MB Voodoo was a pretty smokin' card - it just had massive RAM to do massive resolutions; nothing more.

8mb Voodoo didn't exist. The most memory the original Voodoo had was 6mb and it would only give you any discernable benefit if you had a half decent graphics card at the time. If you bolted it onto a 512kb card it (quite obviously) wouldn't perform. It did, however, do far more than just allow you to crank up the res. The Voodoo Rush was the first Voodoo card to have 8mb of memory, and you didn't need a seperate graphics card. It was, however, pretty bollocks. By the time the Voodoo 2 came out, there wasn't much point buying it unless you were a hardcore gamer, when you could get an all-in-one card from NVidia or ATI cheaper than a Voodoo and leave you with a free PCI slot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Grendel said:
8mb Voodoo didn't exist. The most memory the original Voodoo had was 6mb and it would only give you any discernable benefit if you had a half decent graphics card at the time. If you bolted it onto a 512kb card it (quite obviously) wouldn't perform. It did, however, do far more than just allow you to crank up the res. The Voodoo Rush was the first Voodoo card to have 8mb of memory, and you didn't need a seperate graphics card. It was, however, pretty bollocks. By the time the Voodoo 2 came out, there wasn't much point buying it unless you were a hardcore gamer, when you could get an all-in-one card from NVidia or ATI cheaper than a Voodoo and leave you with a free PCI slot.
Do you have a girlfriend ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
;)
Just kidding Grendel. If it wasn't for techies like you, I'd be adrift in a sea of danger and confusion.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Easy 10 said:
;)
Just kidding Grendel. If it wasn't for techies like you, I'd be adrift in a sea of danger and confusion.

I didn't take it to heart. :)

Though it is somewhat worrying that you aren't the first person to ask me that. Today.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:

I know the history of 3dfx, and I'd call a Voodoo 5 5500 a "Voodoo". And I meant the 8MB Voodoo Rush or Voodoo 2; as they were the only ones still on the market when the TNT2 came out, I believe the V3 came out afterwards

Oh how I wanted to get a Voodoo 5 6000. But they didn't come out to general sale:

http://home.tiscali.be/silvio/voodoo/images/V5-6000.jpeg

These beasts had FOUR seperate processors. And generally hit the processor bay or RAM in a small computer.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Would have been the crossover period between the Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 3, as I bought a TNT2 in late 1999 a couple of months after it came out and as far as I remember, the Voodoo 3 was around the same time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
MYOB while you're here, I'm after a new CPU (preferably AMD but not nesecary) at 2.5ghz+ for as little as possible, cant seem to find any decent prices on the 'net...as in they are all over £250 ??? Whats your KNOWING in this field?

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Marc said:
MYOB while you're herte, I'm after a new CPU (preferably AMD but not nesecary) at 2.5ghz+ for as little as possible, cant seem to find any decent prices on the 'net...as in they are all over £250 ??? Whats your KNOWING in this field?

It'll -have- to be AMD if you don't want to replace your motherboard.

The price differential is huge as the cheaper chips are all on much much older technology - meaning they're slower Ghz-for-Ghz than newer ones. Around 2Ghz (AMD) between 2-3Ghz (Intel) the price just rockets

Look for an OEM version of a processor - these come in a white cardboard box with no manuals, etc, for AMD; and a very simplistic box for Intel with little more than warranty data. This'll be up to 80 notes cheaper than a consumer CPU for a really high end one.

You'll be seriously limited in what your board can take if its more than a year and a half old, it might be an idea to get a new motherboard too, and with that reconsider wheter to do Intel or AMD.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
It'll -have- to be AMD if you don't want to replace your motherboard.

The price differential is huge as the cheaper chips are all on much much older technology - meaning they're slower Ghz-for-Ghz than newer ones. Around 2Ghz (AMD) between 2-3Ghz (Intel) the price just rockets

Look for an OEM version of a processor - these come in a white cardboard box with no manuals, etc, for AMD; and a very simplistic box for Intel with little more than warranty data. This'll be up to 80 notes cheaper than a consumer CPU for a really high end one.

You'll be seriously limited in what your board can take if its more than a year and a half old, it might be an idea to get a new motherboard too, and with that reconsider wheter to do Intel or AMD.

hmm I recently had to get a new mobo as my last died on me, new ones an Abit KD7-G whcih only supports Athlon XP Socket As amongst other older AMD shite. Suppose it maybe worth getting a new mobo and maybe Intel, but I do need more RAM so that might have to come first, got 768mb but need 1gig at least for todays gaming :)

cheers mate

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Marc said:
hmm I recently had to get a new mobo as my last died on me, new ones an Abit KD7-G whcih only supports Athlon XP Socket As amongst other older AMD shite. Suppose it maybe worth getting a new mobo and maybe Intel, but I do need more RAM so that might have to come first, got 768mb but need 1gig at least for todays gaming :)

cheers mate

the extra RAM probably won't work on a new motherboard either, with the move from normal DDR to DDR2 - it won't even fit!

These days a motherboard replacement often means a new processor, RAM and graphics card too. Damn fast moving technology :angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah sucks balls, I always build my own PCs up but this £399 offer from Dell is making me wonder WHY I bother doing it in the first place!
might be better just to buy a brand new system every 2 years instead of upgrading this 'n that every 6months!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here