Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More home buying advice required

The internet may be great for most things but not house moving. I can request an exact quote but not a ballpark figure.

As we moved ourselves last time, I have no idea how much a removal company costs. I know it depends on amount of stuff, value etc. But can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much it's going to cost to move a 3 bed house from Hastings to Eastbourne?

Just trying to roughly budget at the moment.

Also - solicitors fee information would be handy. I can't remember how much we paid last time.

Cheers!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
You should find a solicitor who charges a fixed fee and itemises it all before you agree to instruct.

When I moved house a year ago, I paid the solicitor about 350 quid. Stamp duty came on top of that which, of course, were I buying the house this year I wouldn't have to cough up for.

Thanks Gordon.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Do NOT move yourself. So much stress and hard work.

3 bed your looking at probably about £1000 ish tops. It'll be the best money you've ever spent.

Solictors, you should be looking at probably about £1000 max for the sale and purchase combined (so £500 each)

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull said:

3 bed your looking at probably about £1000 ish tops. It'll be the best money you've ever spent.

Solictors, you should be looking at probably about £1000 max for the sale and purchase combined (so £500 each)

That's about what I figured - cheers guys.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barnet Seagull said:

That's about right.

I moved from a 3 bed terrace in Wimbledon to Reigate just 3 days ago - we paid £170 for packing and £650 for moving + VAT which was £1,000.

We then tipped the 4 blokes £15 each. They were excellent.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
we moved ourselves - granted it was a heck of a hard weekend - but the sunday evening in the sun in our new garden, next to our new pond, after it was all done - bottles of champagne - twas a great feeling!!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
We moved last week and the removals cost us £450 that was 3 men and a 7.5t lorry (4 bed to 4 bed and they had to make 2 trips!!!) but its was only 2 roads up! We got them out of the local paper and they did a good job, your best bet would be to ring local firms and they can quote you over the phone.

Solicitors fees were appx £800, not too bad, but the stamp duty was the killer at 3% :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here