Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More deception in the Argus Letters Page

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The working title for the name of the stadium is about 73rd in the list of priorities for getting the thing built, but four of your five posts on a thread about some hypocritical dickhead from Saltdean have been about the supposed PR own goal of stating that is near Falmer.

For what it's worth, Mr Summerfield doesn't actually know what he's talking about, but then anyone saying that they're from 'Lewes District Campaign to Protect Rural England', when rural England isn't under threat from this project never would do.

Apart from that, I'm fine thank you, Gareth.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
The working title for the name of the stadium is about 73rd in the list of priorities for getting the thing built, but four of your five posts on a thread about some hypocritical dickhead from Saltdean have been about the supposed PR own goal of stating that is near Falmer.

For what it's worth, Mr Summerfield doesn't actually know what he's talking about, but then anyone saying that they're from 'Lewes District Campaign to Protect Rural England', when rural England isn't under threat from this project never would do.

Apart from that, I'm fine thank you, Gareth.

Fair point. But Im still encountering ignorant twats who automatically think Falmer = Village.

Regrttably they are not as well informed as us.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Did you ever use to be a School Headmaster ??? ;)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I notice that the Argus Letters page has a couple of readers complaining about Travellers. Wonder how all these various people would feel about having a permanent site for them instead of a stadium ?

I'm not one to cast aspersions but there's a Travellers site about two miles from here. Seems that the crime rate has increased somewhat in the area, a coincidence I'm sure.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Lord Bracknell said:

It's very nice near Ditchling Beacon as well -

leafletpic.jpg

I know. I was up there last Sunday but one with my mother watching some rare birds (dotterels - migratory birds on their way north)-http://www.swla.co.uk/SWLAmembers/warrenm/Warren_dotterels.jpg

Another area where ribbon development has ruined the Downs is at Rookery Hill, just outside Seaford, by the road up to Bishopstone. A grotty, ugly bungalow development on a hill above the A259, quite probably full of the sort of people who oppose Falmer, which spoils the approach to Bishopstone (the village, not the area round the station).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good news is that my response to this latest nonsense is published today:

Letter: Map reading 101

GK Summerfield needs to learn how to read a map if he thinks building the new stadium next to Brighton University will "destroy forever" a walk from Ditchling Beacon to the Swan pub in Falmer (Letters, May 22).

Has he been reading too many Lewes District Council publications?

The proposed stadium site is the other side of the A27 and the railway line from the Swan pub, Mr Summerfield, not next to Ditchling Beacon.

-Richard Sullivan, Brighton

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Actually, I need to do some route checking for the Sussex Downsman Hike. Perhaps I'll pop along and join in on this walk that's going to be ruined. I could take the kids, too. Would be interesting to get the views of others who do these walks.

Or maybe not.....

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mona said:
Lord Bracknell ensconsed in a dungeon at Lewes Castle and Dick Knight on the rack, Roz burned for witchcraft and Martin Perry's head on a pole outside the Swan in Falmer.

seems eminently sensible to me!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

BTW That walk is very good you ought to try it sometime.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Fair point. But Im still encountering ignorant twats who automatically think Falmer = Village.

Regrttably they are not as well informed as us.

so Falmer is not a village then? It was when I did my A level History project about Anne of Cleves and the lands given to her by Henry V111 and the church dedicated in her honour at Falmer!

Perhaps history has been rewritten.

I am slightly leaning towards Gareth here, in that the naming of the project "Falmer" was a bit daft

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dies Irae said:
... I am slightly leaning towards Gareth here, in that the naming of the project "Falmer" was a bit daft
I agree. I didn't really pay much attention to the name at the time but in retrospect I wish we'd called it the East Moulscombe or South Coldean stadium. Wouldn't have caused nearly so much fuss!

EDIT: Whoops! Can't tell east from west!

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hasnt Dick Knight dug out plan B yet?:down:

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Two things jump out at me when reading that farcical letter by the misinformed prick.

Firstly the monstrous stadium he refers to. Would this be the first stadium of its kind in the world to be set into the ground to blend in with the surrounding downs? Has he even seen what our new home will look like?

Secondly, he states that 'thousands of pounds of taxpayers money' is being spent. WTF! The council gave us the land sure, but have they been financing our pursuit of a new stadium? No they haven't - why oh why does the argus publish this absaloute drivel, its offending to the intelligence of the majority of its readers.

I'm so fed up with the lack of vision a lot of people have in this city. State of the art football stadium anyone? No thanks we've got withdean thats enough. Frank Gehry seafront development anyone? No thanks we've got the king alfred centre.

At this rate this city will slip down the pecking order and before you know it places like bloody Bournemouth will be more developed than Brighton.

One last thing which everyone has been careless enough to overlook. The stadium hasn't been named yet, 'Falmer' has been coined by the fans, the big letters will go to the highest bidder!

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
See-Goals said:
One last thing which everyone has been careless enough to overlook. The stadium hasn't been named yet, 'Falmer' has been coined by the fans, the big letters will go to the highest bidder!
I thought the club named it Falmer.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You miss the point....what we were getting at was that all the original and subsequent literature etc refers to the stadium at "Falmer" so envoking the local wrath of the nimby's

BTW you say the council gave us the land.....do you know what the value of the land is to developers? According to an estate agent mate somewhere in the region of £15million. That could releive some of the council tax burden for many years, and mean that the one legged blind lesbian support group would get its £300 funding grant instead of been told to hop off!!!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Its commonly reffered to as 'Falmer' because lets face it what else would you call it?

the naming rights will be sold when we actually have a stadium to stick big letters to.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Dies Irae said:
You miss the point....what we were getting at was that all the original and subsequent literature etc refers to the stadium at "Falmer" so envoking the local wrath of the nimby's

BTW you say the council gave us the land.....do you know what the value of the land is to developers? According to an estate agent mate somewhere in the region of £15million. That could releive some of the council tax burden for many years, and mean that the one legged blind lesbian support group would get its £300 funding grant instead of been told to hop off!!!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The land was in the councils local plan for development. It would have never been 'sold' to anyone. The council would lease or submit the land to a cause which would create best value for the community and the economics of the city.

But I definitely missed the point re: falmer naming :shootself

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But the only wrath has come from the village next to the site. It would have made no difference in the slightest. The people that write into the Arsegas stating that it will ruin a pretty village and leave ducks homeless have lost their marbles andf thankfully they have no say in the matter, in the slightest. If you think none of this would have happened if we had altered the name, then that is pure madness. :O

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here