Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More boiler questions

Mine isn't as serious as the other problem but it is really annoying. Every couple of weeks or so, our boiler just refuses to switch on. It should be on but isn't. I have to reset it with a button underneath. Then it is fine for another few days.

Anyone know what could be causing it? I have the British Gas cover but can't be arsed to take a day off for a small problem like this. And the next service isn't until October. Is it likely to be the controller? It is an old one with little pegs and I want a digital one anyway. But the lights are on when it should be on - just the boiler doesn't spring to life until I reset it.

Any ideas?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Water pressure too low? Check the gauge, I had that recently.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The little button underneath is the overheat cut out. This could be caused by any number of problems but if you've got the manual or can get hold of one there should be some basic fault finding in there to get you started.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Don't know what the fault was caused by (and so not much help I guess), but I had a similar thing a couple of years ago. The guy came round, took a quick look and nodded sagely, then replaced a couple of widgets and was gone again in 5 minutes - haven't had a problem since.

Sounds like you need a couple of new widgets (don't know what they actually were as the invoice was in Dutch, but they were small and cheap - a bit like Lorraine Kelly).

Seagull Stew

The plumber is tutting to himself while rubbing his chin and shaking his head at the appliance in question:

"What I'll need to do is replace the servo coupling. The part costs next to nothing but I'll charge you £30 for getting me out of bed!"

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Seagull_Stew said:
The plumber is tutting to himself while rubbing his chin and shaking his head at the appliance in question:

"What I'll need to do is replace the servo coupling. The part costs next to nothing but I'll charge you £30 for getting me out of bed!"

Is that a joke????

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The Great Cornholio said:
Mine isn't as serious as the other problem but it is really annoying. Every couple of weeks or so, our boiler just refuses to switch on. It should be on but isn't. I have to reset it with a button underneath. Then it is fine for another few days.

Anyone know what could be causing it? I have the British Gas cover but can't be arsed to take a day off for a small problem like this. And the next service isn't until October. Is it likely to be the controller? It is an old one with little pegs and I want a digital one anyway. But the lights are on when it should be on - just the boiler doesn't spring to life until I reset it.

Any ideas?

Had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago, it was a faulty electrical connection in the boiler. British Gas fixed it in 5 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here