Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Anti Falmer tripe in the Observer!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I read that article and thought it was great.

OK, they may have the specifics of a potential stadium wrong, but it's basically saying Brighton would be a great host city for any future World Cup. The premise of the article is that the FA should look beyond the usual tired old venues- the big five of London, Birmingham, Newcastle, LIverpool and Manchester, and look to generate some interest in a few less obvious places.

Aside from Brighton, it also considers Bristol, Plymouth, Nottingham, Portsmouth, Southampson, Preston and Blackpool.

And what they've written about Brighton- "what a host city this would be", and "Brighton has the beach location, and would provide dramatic scenery when VIPs arrive by helicopter", is more positive than, say, Portsmouth, which, while it apparently has "raucous support" but is "not exactly a beauty spot", and is where "it's hard to say how the locals would take to being invaded by foreigners".

Southampton, meanwhile, is "clean, safe, but a bit dull", while Nottingham has "a big crime problem", and Wolverhampton "filthy canals and factories...you wouldn't want to spend much time here unless you're holed up in a Banks brewery or you're into dog racing".

I think Brighton comes out of it rather well, considering our current status, ie League One and no permanent ground

:lolol:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Soul Finger said:
Why?

I'm not embarrassed by it. In fact, I'm proud of it.

It's one of the things that sets us apart from no-mark cities like Croydon.

Each to their own but I dont see that being associated with a load of cock sucking, starfish stabbing sausage jockeys can be anything but embarrassing.

Its the worst thing about Brighton and some people on here make a joke about it. Sicko's! :nono:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Does anybody care a shit what is written in the papers?

It only counts if you have got a decent ground watching decent football? (ie. beating Palace and Chelsea).

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
chez said:
Each to their own but I dont see that being associated with a load of cock sucking, starfish stabbing sausage jockeys can be anything but embarrassing.

Its the worst thing about Brighton and some people on here make a joke about it. Sicko's! :nono:

Sorry but you're wrong.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
chez said:

.....says the man with a Tangerine Dream avatar.

Pot and Kettle?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
chez said:

Total bollocks.

Bit of a homophobe are we?

The association is one of tolerance and I'm proud if it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
chez said:

Your wind-ups don't really improve with time, do they?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
chez said:

bloody hell, do people really get that wound up about what other people do?

Agree with others though, Brighton's gay population is a positive thing. What would you prefer? Britains highest population of 'top boys'?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with Edna: I thought the article was great - we can forgive them the Shoreham blunder for the nice things they said about Brighton.

I really hope the Observer's right and the venues are spread around the country - I disagree with their choice of Wolverhampton though, partly because it's the armpit of England and partly because it's not too far from Villa Park, a certain venue.

Why wouldn't Falmer be suitable? There were some small grounds used in the last World Cup and there wouldn't be a need for a massive stadium for, say, Ecuador v Angola or Bulgaria v Iran.

I'm moist at the thought of World Cup football being played less than a mile from where I live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here