Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya to Betis - deal complete

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Who are you referring to? I've seen absolutely no-one suggest he is going somewhere this summer.

This;

Do we have a back up for Lamptey if he goes?

Followed by these all in reply to the above;

Dutch guy or Alzate? Like Montoya, he’s always solid, but happy for him to go now - think it’s time. Really pleasant guy when I met him briefly too.

Veltman, Burn style for 4 at the back, Yapi if Lamptey injured and 3 at the back?

Veltman as a right back.

But no wing back which is what I think we need.

In fact I think we need a quality wing back, and back up on both sides.

Personally think that's how Potter wants to play, with 3 CBs.

But I don't know if we'll get that this year...

Including one of your own.

Veltman, but Alzate looked decent playing there and Webster played there a couple of times in Bristol.

Wouldnt be completely shocked to see a signing but dont think its likely.

And the rest...so yeah, there was no explicit suggestion but no one scoffed at the original quote RE: "if Lamptey goes" like I assumed it would be. Just though it was weird, that's all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This;

Followed by these all in reply to the above;

Including one of your own.

And the rest...so yeah, there was no explicit suggestion but no one scoffed at the original quote RE: "if Lamptey goes" like I assumed it would be. Just though it was weird, that's all.

I think the question was meant to read more like, "do we have a back up for Lamptey if he (Montoya) goes "

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I think the question was meant to read more like, "do we have a back up for Lamptey if he (Montoya) goes "

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank you.

Yep, since we are in the thread about Montoya leaving, I was referring to back up for Lamptey.

TBH I'm more worried about the left side. Would love a wing back on the left of Lamptey's calibre.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Something has to give. Our squad is gargantuan. How many more to go? 3 at least I'd guess. Wonder if there'll be any surprises.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Hugely underrated player for us, but with the change in system, a year left on his contract, and a glut of interesting RB options it's probably the right time to part ways.

Montoya has 2 years left, signed a 4 year deal when he joined.

I believe Clarke can play RB as well. We are well covered in that position so it makes sense all round.

He’s left-footed, and has never played their in his career.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Is it though?

According the club site we have 6 CBs, 2 RB and 2 LBs plus Veltman. Which is about 2 per position if you take into account we go between 2 or 3 CBs.

Personally think the squad feels bloated at the mo. We don't need 11 players to cover 5/4 postions. Especially given Alzate and March both played full back last year. But i was thinking more about midfield and the likes of Locadia and Andone. It's a big squad when you consider how many promising youngsters are coming through.
We also need to make some signings.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Something has to give. Our squad is gargantuan. How many more to go? 3 at least I'd guess. Wonder if there'll be any surprises.
Last season we had 26 ( including Izquierdo, and U23s Mac Allister, Connolly, Lamptey and Alzate ).

This season I expect 26 ( incl Izquierdo, and U23s Connolly, Lamptey and Molumby ).

So we need to move on 6 players to bring in 2 more.

Duffy
Montoya
Clarke
Bernardo
Gyökeres or Jahanbakhsh
Stephens Groß or March

look likliest.

( Not including goalkeepers ).

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I always found watching Montoya a bit ‘meh’. To sum him up as a RB: does exactly what it says on the tin. He’s not bad, just not sexy football good.

Lamptey on the other hand is why we pay the price of admission. Quality, exciting player who gets you on the edge of your seat.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

The midfield needs thinning out. At the moment we've got Alzate, Bissouma, Gross, Jahanbakhsh, Lallana, Mac Allister, Molumby, Mooy, Propper, Stephens and Trossard. Ali J and Gross need to go somewhere else for playing time alone, and I'd somehow get over it if Mooy or Propper went too. Mooy became half the player once the ink was dry on his permanent contract and unless we play DP where Holland do then we're never going to see his best..

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The midfield needs thinning out. At the moment we've got Alzate, Bissouma, Gross, Jahanbakhsh, Lallana, Mac Allister, Molumby, Mooy, Propper, Stephens and Trossard. Ali J and Gross need to go somewhere else for playing time alone, and I'd somehow get over it if Mooy or Propper went too. Mooy became half the player once the ink was dry on his permanent contract and unless we play DP where Holland do then we're never going to see his best..

Think Propper will get better and better as the players around him do.
Agree, reluctantly, about the other three though. Feel like we need another dynamic CM too.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Personally I quite the combination of the two in the squad. We have a flair young attacking exciting player, and an older head who is a solid dependable player but not exciting. It gives us two different options to counter different scenarios during the season. Keeping Montoya also frees up Alzate to play in the centre more.

Very true. He does offer something at RB that Lamptey does not. The amount GP changes formation and tactics you would think having both TL and MM in the squad would be a plus. Maybe, GP feels Veltman is an upgrade of MM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here