Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
OH NO! IKEA or housing? IKEA or housing?

View attachment 138307

Sooner or later, the developers will get to somewhere you care about. We’ll see how you feel then.
But as I have repeatedly stated, no problem with new housing within reason and with the requisite infrastructure in place.
No problem with other types of development. I do have a dislike of Ikea, for reasons I’ve been over before and i am happy they have pulled out.
So no, not a NIMBY, I just prefer that if a company is going to destroy precious wetland that they do it for a good reason.

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Will this have any effect on the A27 "improvements" both practically and financially?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Will this have any effect on the A27 "improvements" both practically and financially?

It might do, as I assume Ikea were helping to fund / partly the reason for the 2 roundabout system planned.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It might do, as I assume Ikea were helping to fund / partly the reason for the 2 roundabout system planned.

I know construction on the bridge has already started. But I suppose that will be needed for housing too?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fab news. However, I very much doubt they’ll extend the planned nature reserve. It’s just gonna be filed with hundreds of more unaffordable housing units.
But excellent that we don’t get a gigantic, destination, chain store in our area. Bringing morons in from far and wide.
Mixed feelings for me but IKEA are a loathsome company with a massive carbon footprint and contribute greatly to environmental destruction.

Correct . . 99% of what they do is cheap disposable tat (harldy an investment in furniture to hand down to your grandchildren )

It would be nice to keep a green strip between Lancing and Shoream, not just the airfield and river.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Who hands furniture down to their grandchildren?

How much of your furniture, right now, is from your grandparents?

My great grandfathers desk chair, an Art deco settee, which I restored and had recovered. an occasional chair ( mid 1800's) and several other smaller items, a 30's side cabinet for gloves/scarves/sunglesses by the front door. .. Some of it came via my mother as everyone moved houses (they downsized and I got on the ladder etc) we've had newer cheaper stuff thats been and long gone.

You asked.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It makes for a bleak environmental prognosis when people defend a company like IKEA just because they like a bed they once purchased there. It’s all too personalised. Which is one reason it won’t change.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My great grandfathers desk chair, an Art deco settee, which I restored and had recovered. an occasional chair ( mid 1800's) and several other smaller items, a 30's side cabinet for gloves/scarves/sunglesses by the front door. .. Some of it came via my mother as everyone moved houses (they downsized and I got on the ladder etc) we've had newer cheaper stuff thats been and long gone.

You asked.

Quite. I have a writing desk, nest of tables, sideboard, cutlery, dining set, work bench, picture frames and other chattels handed down from family.
And I tend to buy furniture from reclamation yards. Good quality, built to last and far more aesthetically pleasing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It makes for a bleak environmental prognosis when people defend a company like IKEA just because they like a bed they once purchased there. It’s all too personalised. Which is one reason it won’t change.

A bed, wardrobes, lamps, saucepans, picture frames, chest of drawers, kitchen table, office chair, sofa, lights, batteries, none of which is plastic tat, nor ended up in landfill.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A bed, wardrobes, lamps, saucepans, picture frames, chest of drawers, kitchen table, office chair, sofa, lights, batteries, none of which is plastic tat, nor ended up in landfill.

They do use illegally felled timber though.
As I say, people personalising things like this is a hurdle we all need to overcome. It’s why we won’t get people to give up cars etc.

I have brought stuff from there in the past. I liked it. It’s affordable and functional. But I wouldn’t buy anything from them these days knowing what their practices are.
Sorry, but Ikea and it’s products are not a force for good, environmentally speaking.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Correct . . 99% of what they do is cheap disposable tat (harldy an investment in furniture to hand down to your grandchildren )

It would be nice to keep a green strip between Lancing and Shoream, not just the airfield and river.

That was breached years ago when the airport was called Shoreham Airport?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That was breached years ago when the airport was called Shoreham Airport?

There is/was still a large swathe of land separating Shoreham and Lancing. You get a real idea of just how much wetland and greenfield is being destroyed for this development, by going up to Lancing Ring and looking down on the Shoreham side. A birds eye view of the destruction.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Ikea were part of a larger development and had bought the land from the developers. The development is the reason for the changed road system. The development is still going ahead so will the road changes.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Who hands furniture down to their grandchildren?

How much of your furniture, right now, is from your grandparents?

A lot when I was first married (47 years ago!) now portable writing desk box and picture of farm G Grandfather owned, Adams Farm Crowhurst, that's it!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A lot of our furniture is what gets called 'vintage' we've chopped and changed over the years, usually getting your money back on things, recently sold a Deco drinks cabinet and replaced with a 60's teak side board . . . . found a really good Vintage one for Ikea money, which was 1/4 of the new G plan prices.

plenty of greenery between Lancing and the Airport. monks.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here