Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monday Morning Nostalgia

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
At last we looked a 'bit' better on Saturday albeit against a poor Oldham side....... another end of season survival fight........takes me back to '97 - I dug these out, taken during the last week the of the Goldstone's life!.

Attachments

• goldstone 2.jpg
    goldstone 2.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 221
  • goldstone 1.jpg
    goldstone 1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 220
  • goldstone 4.jpg
    goldstone 4.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 219
  • goldstone 3.jpg
    goldstone 3.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 220

Lush

Mods' Pet
Great pics. Funnily enough it's the last one that really brings a tear to the eye. Walking across Hove Park to the match, then that flutter of excitement when you first see the ground and hear the pre-match singing ...

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
:down:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It was a cracking ground

hope all those Bastards who sold it from under our feet get incurable nob rot.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
When's it my turn to stand in the Northstand :down:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey, the North Stand seemed so HUGE when I stood down the front of it as a chiddler.

I was only young but I can still remember the North Stand noise was deafening. Especially when Withdean is what you have to compare it to.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Blimey, the North Stand seemed so HUGE when I stood down the front of it as a chiddler./QUOTE]

That first photo's a bit deceptive, as your mind automatically assumes there's only a couple of rows between each crash barrier. There was actually a good 10 steps or more.

Albion Rob

Blimey, the North Stand seemed so HUGE when I stood down the front of it as a chiddler.

I was only young but I can still remember the North Stand noise was deafening. Especially when Withdean is what you have to compare it to.

I was thinking similar. I always thought it was massive but actually it wasn't all that big really. Stands at Falmer will look huge by comparison.

Anyone know what the capacity of the North Stand was?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Love this photo. So where was your regular spot then? Mine is marked, up on the heights of the crumbling East Terrace, paying £1.50 to get in, bringing in my trusty beer crate to stand on. Just in case there was a crowd, and I couldn't see, like :lolol: Please note: I was a kid at the time...

goldstoneground.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Love this photo. So where was your regular spot then? Mine is marked, up on the heights of the crumbling East Terrace, paying £1.50 to get in, bringing in my trusty beer crate to stand on. Just in case there was a crowd, and I couldn't see, like :lolol: Please note: I was a kid at the time...

goldstoneground.jpg

I often used to stand up there. Do you by any chance remember a guy who used to randomly shout "Wop it up 'em Brighton" with regular monotony...and no it wasn't me :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually those photos are TOO good as they merely make the Goldstone look a bit 'old fashioned' when in reality in its latter days it was a crumbling, semi-derelict sorry excuse for a football ground

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I often used to stand up there. Do you by any chance remember a guy who used to randomly shout "Wop it up 'em Brighton" with regular monotony...and no it wasn't me :)

Sadly not, I stood there from the age of about ten, until they condemned the terrace...well, when there was a game on anyway :p and then had to move, either to the West Terrace or the North Stand.

Things I recall? Being pelted with coins by Palace fans when they used to be kept in the North East Corner, the wooden panelling going up a few rows up from the front, because the first few rows of concrete were falling apart and the club couldn't afford to repair it. Getting wet when it rained, but at least being able to take an umbrella without ruining somebody else's view. The red fencing with spikes on top that went up in the late 80s, and was then taken down along with the perimeter fencing after Hillsborough. A bloke who used to puff on foul smelling cigars for the whole game. The regular accidental kicking of somebody's Bovril-filled Thermos, that they'd carefully placed on a step, which then bounced miles down the terrace as you tried to get past. Just doesn't work with seats does it?

Happy days.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Actually those photos are TOO good as they merely make the Goldstone look a bit 'old fashioned' when in reality in its latter days it was a crumbling, semi-derelict sorry excuse for a football ground

Very true - it's far from the worst crime Archer and Belloti committed but before their arrival it was always kept looking very spruce by the likes of Frankie Howard, whom they sacked with the minimum of pay-offs, the wankers. It was still looking pretty tidy the season when we got promoted against Bristol Rovers, for example.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was having a drink in a pub last Saturday and somebody came over and said they remembered me from my North Stand days, mrs was impressed!

Conboy, i feel for you & other youngsters who never experinced the Goldstone. Can't be easy hearing us all go on about it. If it's any consolation, it was not magic all the time, but when it was.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here