Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Molango offered contract, Kerekes and Tankary gone

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Is it an urban myth that Hinshelwood was offered Upson (at the same time as Barrett) but turned him down or is there any truth in the rumour?

Because if Hinshelwood did turn him down he's a bigger dick than I thought he is (as Reading snapped up Upson, he was quality for them and this helped seal a move to Brum for big bucks)

and a few england caps shortly after as well

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Is it an urban myth that Hinshelwood was offered Upson (at the same time as Barrett) but turned him down or is there any truth in the rumour?

Because if Hinshelwood did turn him down he's a bigger dick than I thought he is (as Reading snapped up Upson, he was quality for them and this helped seal a move to Brum for big bucks)
He turned Upson down as he'd just signed Butters and wanted to strengthen the forward areas... Allegedly...

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Trigger said:
He turned Upson down as he'd just signed Butters and wanted to strengthen the forward areas... Allegedly...

I didn't think the deal with Butters had been sorted by then............seem to recall that the deal to bring fatboy to Brighton was very protracted

If he did turn Upson down.....:angry:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Barrett and Butters signed on the same day if i remember rightly?... I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong!

:jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dancin Ninja BHA said:

I believe it was Sidwell that he was offered and turned him down.

Then Sidwell was offered again when Coppell arrived.

Fingers crossed then that the Molango negotiations will go well. You have to speculate to accumulate, as he is young and looks good, should be given at least a 2-year contract. We don't want to be scrambling around this time next season if he walks off to a bigger club at the end of a successful season.

With our limited options for squad rebuilding, Tankary's age did count against him as he seemed to be waiting for the ball to come to him rather than working hard off the ball to create openings on saturday.

But Kerekes must have been a tough one. The Argus stated this morning that McGhee was still not sure, so they obviously thought hard before turning him down.

Molango is similar to Knight and Jake in that he doesn't look a natural targetman, so you must think there is unfinished business here in the transfer market. I can't believe McGhee will not get that kind of player which, through Benjamin and then Big Chris, he organised the team's play around last season.

I was sorry to read that interview with Simon Rodger in the Argus today - it was very downbeat stuff, a rare blood blister illness and calf problems delaying his recovery further. "I haven't kicked a ball for God knows how long and neither have I done any proper running. My comeback is a long way off."

He says he will give it two more months to get it right, if not he will retire.

Midfield does become a pressing problem for McGhee if Rodger is unable to return.

Paul Reid is at least making good progress.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Let's hope the contract negotiations with Molango are successful. We can ill afford to lose out again on a player of his obvious quality. Call me the eternal pessimist but I've got a gut feeling that things might still go pair-shaped. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

:eek:

Last edited:

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
If he's prepared to come here on trial and McGhee likes what he's seen as he obviously does, don't think there should be problem.
He will be an Albion player by Thursday :clap2:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
spidey said:
If he's prepared to come here on trial and McGhee likes what he's seen as he obviously does, don't think there should be problem.
He will be an Albion player by Thursday :clap2:

Let's hope so spidey. Just leaves us to find a midfielder, another striker and a winger in less than 3 weeks!

:(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He liked the fans and seemed to be happy enough playing on Saturday.

Just don't mention Swiss referees and we'll be fine.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
And wouldn't it be great if he turned out to be another Zamora.

:)

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Agree more additions needed - lets hope they can come up with options for midfield like they did with strikers.
With one or two more quality additions, things wouldn't look too bad :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

I was sorry to read that interview with Simon Rodger in the Argus today - it was very downbeat stuff, a rare blood blister illness and calf problems delaying his recovery further. "I haven't kicked a ball for God knows how long and neither have I done any proper running. My comeback is a long way off."

He says he will give it two more months to get it right, if not he will retire.

Damn, that is bad news about Rodger.

Must say that I also feel optimistic about Molango.

Go On MM just a couple of more players!!:clap: (after Molango)

Yoda

English & European
London Irish said:
Molango is similar to Knight and Jake in that he doesn't look a natural targetman, so you must think there is unfinished business here in the transfer market. I can't believe McGhee will not get that kind of player which, through Benjamin and then Big Chris, he organised the team's play around last season.

M.Mc has always liked his teams to play an attractive passing game so could this be the end of the long ball (sorry, semi ;ong ball)?

Yoda said:
M.Mc has always liked his teams to play an attractive passing game so could this be the end of the long ball (sorry, semi ;ong ball)?

That's true about McGhee - his period with us is certainly a departure from the style of play he fashioned for Reading and his other teams.

My point would be that to move Brighton definitively away from the semi-long ball game would probably require quite a substantial overhaul of the team, including maybe even in its stronger areas in defence.

I don't really care if we play as ugly as f*** - winning is what is important. McGhee has shown himself to be the arch-pragmatist this past season and that's great - he must continue to play the style that gets the most out of the particular limitations of this squad of players.

I think McGhee has no choice but to go for only a gradual evolution of our style. But it's true that Molanga's strengths will create new challenges for our midfield in supplying him with ball at his feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here