Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully, we won’t entertain a bid for a couple of years, but as a minimum has to be the same value as Grealish.

For 'couple of years' I suggest you make that 12 months.

Sure form isn't a straight line heading upwards, and the lad has a big W/C season ahead of him.

But I'll Eden a guess he's already on the 'I really, really want him' list of all £50m+ clubs.
For which currently it's hard not to feel like it's a list that will only get smaller, as the money gets bigger.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One of the comments on there-

“If we drop a 60 million offer, they will take it”

Keep his form up and he’ll be our next short stay Cucu won’t he? :down:

They spent £76.5m on Sancho who is performing at a level below Trossard (if you compare stats for the pair last season). They could easily make an offer in the next 3 weeks.

But, the club will not sell anymore players this window. Even for £60m. Selling Caicedo in the next year would be the equivalent of giving up on the top 10. He is our new hope.

As others have said, stick a £100m buy-out clause on the (hopefully) brand new 6-year contract he should be getting. Then other teams know the score. If they want the lad, they’ll have to pay Tony more than he forked out for the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They spent £76.5m on Sancho who is performing at a level below Trossard (if you compare stats for the pair last season). They could easily make an offer in the next 3 weeks.

But, the club will not sell anymore players this window. Even for £60m. Selling Caicedo in the next year would be the equivalent of giving up on the top 10. He is our new hope.

As others have said, stick a £100m buy-out clause on the (hopefully) brand new 6-year contract he should be getting. Then other teams know the score. If they want the lad, they’ll have to pay Tony more than he forked out for the Amex.
Wowsers.

What possible reason would Caicedo have for signing such an awful contract?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Wowsers.

Well, precisely.
I don't get how so many on here think that players and, of all things, their agents wear blue-and-white-striped spectacles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, precisely.
I don't get how so many on here think that players and, of all things, their agents wear blue-and-white-striped spectacles.

Nobodies spectacles are bluer and whiter than mine and Jnr's.

If the boy stat were presented with that contract I'd laugh my freakin head off and instantly start letting it be known he'll not be signing an extension at t'Albion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Wowsers.

Tony Bloom won't be offering a contract with a minimum release clause as he doesn't like them as it ties his hands a bit when it comes to sales, but it is worth remembering that even if there is a release clause in the contract a player could be sold for less, well Man City will try bidding a lot less anyway. We tried to get Cucurella for less than his clause fee, but Getafe held out.

If we were offering Caicedo anything like 6 years and a £100 million release clause we'd be looking at him becoming the best paid player at the club by some margin, well until Lewis Dunk matches it. I don't think Tony will want such a disparity in wages across the squad either.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, precisely.

I agree with you. But it's quite possible that we get him to sign for another year on top of what he already has, in return for becoming one of our highest wages earners. You can imagine that given his age, he's nowhere near that bracket at the moment. He would have of course observed that having a long period left on a contract isn't necessarily a bar to selling to a bigger club if the price is right

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Keep up his performance levels to January and we will struggle to keep him beyond then. The guy is heading for being a world class player which means he'll be heading to a world class club imo

As someone kept saying last season about Cucu "Enjoy him whilst he's here, he won't be here next season"

I thought that was bollocks at the time and if 60 million plus had been mentioned I'd have put whoever it was on ignore :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with you. But it's quite possible that we get him to sign for another year on top of what he already has, in return for becoming one of our highest wages earners. You can imagine that given his age, he's nowhere near that bracket at the moment. He would have of course observed that having a long period left on a contract isn't necessarily a bar to selling to a bigger club if the price is right

I agree with you there too. But, note, your suggestion is somewhat different than tying a player to the club for 6 years save for a club spending £100m for him (which, in turn, would probably mean that the wage/add-on/agent% aspects of the deal will be somewhat less generous).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of the comments on there-

“If we drop a 60 million offer, they will take it”

Keep his form up and he’ll be our next short stay Cucu won’t he? :down:

If they drop a £60M offer, Chelsea will step in and offer the proper amount.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
They spent £76.5m on Sancho who is performing at a level below Trossard (if you compare stats for the pair last season).

I was thinking about comparisons between the two squads.

I'm fairly sure United could take any of our players and make them worse.

Sancho should be better than Trossard. Rashford should be better than Welbeck.

But, somehow, Old Trafford sucks the talent out of them.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Tony Bloom won't be offering a contract with a minimum release clause as he doesn't like them as it ties his hands a bit when it comes to sales, but it is worth remembering that even if there is a release clause in the contract a player could be sold for less, well Man City will try bidding a lot less anyway. We tried to get Cucurella for less than his clause fee, but Getafe held out.

If we were offering Caicedo anything like 6 years and a £100 million release clause we'd be looking at him becoming the best paid player at the club by some margin, well until Lewis Dunk matches it. I don't think Tony will want such a disparity in wages across the squad either.

and there's the rub. we, rightly, aren't keen on offering stupidly massive wages to people, more so than most clubs, but as long as that is going to be our policy, we simply aren't going to be able to hold onto these players for very long at all

Kojakker

Jun 10, 2022
I was thinking about comparisons between the two squads.

I'm fairly sure United could take any of our players and make them worse.

Sancho should be better than Trossard. Rashford should be better than Welbeck.

But, somehow, Old Trafford sucks the talent out of them.

I can’t think of a Man U outfield player in recent years that has gone there and become better, or even met expectations. Partly because they’re only interested in buying players at their peak, but even their youngsters seem to come out of the academy firing, and then fade (Rashford a prime example).

They have a lot of issues, their scouting and recruitment seem hopeless and Ten Hag only seeming interested in getting in players he already knows suggests it’s not improving any time soon.

They’ll likely still finish above us but I wouldn’t be that surprised if they finished outside the top 10.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Based on Sunday's shambles not one of the United starting 11 are good enough to start for us. I wouldn't swap one of them. Not one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Based on Sunday's shambles not one of the United starting 11 are good enough to start for us. I wouldn't swap one of them. Not one.

If you think that them not having one player better than any of ours will translate into us finishing above them in the league, then you'd be able to get some pretty incredible odds on a season match bet

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
and there's the rub. we, rightly, aren't keen on offering stupidly massive wages to people, more so than most clubs, but as long as that is going to be our policy, we simply aren't going to be able to hold onto these players for very long at all

We are never going to hold onto players once big 6 clubs come calling with the offer of challenging for titles, winning cups, playing regularly in Champions League etc. It wouldn't have mattered what Cucurellla was earning once Chelsea and Man City were courting him he was always going to move it was just up to Tony Bloom to get the maximum fee for him that he could.

What we can offer is an excellent footballing education under Graham Potter and a proven pathway that leads to big clubs being interested if you are good enough. Our stock is rising hugely as a club to play for at the moment even if we don't offer the highest wages.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If you think that them not having one player better than any of ours will translate into us finishing above them in the league, then you'd be able to get some pretty incredible odds on a season match bet

Very unlikely we will finish above them. I don't think I suggested anything of the sort. What I said was based on Sunday's performance not one of their starting 11 is good enough to get in our starting 11. But they are a very rich club and no doubt fortunes will be spent on new recruits. Factor in a new manager around Xmas and things might be different.

We won't finish above them. But then at OT especially you have to factor in that they always play with 12 (as you saw again on Sunday).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here