Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
What’s your source for this statement? I have never read this anywhere before.
I've seen more out there to suggest we don't tend to go with release clauses. Spain is the only one I know of where they are compulsory.

I think had there been a release clause in Moises previous contract he wouldn't be here now as it would have been way below 70m

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Are you confusing release clauses with a price we would be unable to refuse?
that's what I was wondering. I'm sure Tony Bloom has a figure in mind but that would be flexible anyway depending on form and success. to have a set fee mentioned in the contract would do us no favours

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thinking about this, it only increases the chances of him going this summer.

We've seen cases where players aren't going anywhere with two years left on the contract because players and clubs know that with only one year left, you often get half the price (which means the buying club will spend some extra on wages). Arguably, this way the club lost out on maybe a total of £50m or £60m for Bissouma and Trossard. I don't think the club wants that repeated. If there was no new deal in place it is possible he would have stayed around for another year to move cheaply in the summer of 2024.

Now I think a sale in the summer becomes even more likely because with a contract until 2027 or 2028, it really puts the club in a fantastic spot when it comes to negotiations. There's no f***ing around with running down contracts and stuff - Tony can ask for pretty much whatever he wants. Normally this means a good chance the player stays for some time. With Caicedo, I think it means that some club will actually pay the obscene money needed to get him - he is that good.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022

We've seen cases where players aren't going anywhere with two years left on the contract because players and clubs know that with only one year left, you often get half the price (which means the buying club will spend some extra on wages). Arguably, this way the club lost out on maybe a total of £50m or £60m for Bissouma and Trossard. I don't think the club wants that repeated. If there was no new deal in place it is possible he would have stayed around for another year to move cheaply in the summer of 2024.

Now I think a sale in the summer becomes even more likely because with a contract until 2027 or 2028, it really puts the club in a fantastic spot when it comes to negotiations. There's no f***ing around with running down contracts and stuff - Tony can ask for pretty much whatever he wants. Normally this means a good chance the player stays for some time. With Caicedo, I think it means that some club will actually pay the obscene money needed to get him - he is that good.
That’s possible, even likely but I wonder just how much better the wages and add ons are in his new contract, im hopeful this is as much about staying with us another year

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

As others have said, I think it just leaves all options available to the club.
The motivations for player and club will be known at the end of the season.
Whatever the situation, the club hold all the cards.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed…..Caicedo has basically traded a massive signing on fee for much higher wages now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Nope. It would still not be a surprise if he went in the summer but a long new contact simply means the opposite to your argument. It increases the chances of him staying by a long way. Before this news I was completely resigned to him leaving, now it would not be a surprise if he stayed another year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I decided to watch some Rice showreels.

He really is a very good defensive midfielder but his skill set is more central defender than No.10 if you had to move him into another position. His tackling and positioning is top level and his pace and speed is very good (Caicedo is faster). In addition he appears to have a good shot on him but he just reminds me more of Dunk than Caicedo.

What he can’t do is the De Bruyne passes Caicedo pulls out the bag. The example for me is the assist for Mitoma against Everton, Rice would never be able to pull that off. Rice has a lofted ball he plays to either wing (Dunk style) but that’s about it. I’ve not seen him thread the ball through the lines on the deck to set-up an attack like Caicedo can.

I’m going to enjoy comparing them today. I think Caicedo is world class, I don’t think Rice is or ever will be. Caicedo has that X factor.
I think they’re both fantastic players and hope that Rice has a stinker today.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The most unexpected news. He was the best player on the pitch against Stoke by a mile. I'd be delighted if we could get another year out of him.

The problem the club have with Moises it that there is no obvious succession. I suspect Kozlowski was supposed to be the next cab off the rank but he doesn't seem to be pulling up trees at Vitesse and I'm not sure Gilmour is the answer. Throw in the unfortunate Mwepu and we'd be looking light in the middle if we lost Caceido and Macalister who we know big clubs are circling about. I'm guessing but I think the club would consider it a result of we kept one of the 2.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed…..Caicedo has basically traded a massive signing on fee for much higher wages now.
Yeah.
Decent deal for him, probably another million or two in the pocket. Fantastic deal for the club, now probably able to sell him for maybe £20-30m more than if no new contract had been signed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope. It would still not be a surprise if he went in the summer but a long new contact simply means the opposite to your argument. It increases the chances of him staying by a long way. Before this news I was completely resigned to him leaving, now it would not be a surprise if he stayed another year.
Guess we’ll find out in July. What it has done is pushed the price even higher, meaning the number of clubs that will be interested will probably have shrunk further - literally no more than a handful will pay what we’ll want.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The most unexpected news. He was the best player on the pitch against Stoke by a mile. I'd be delighted if we could get another year out of him.

The problem the club have with Moises it that there is no obvious succession. I suspect Kozlowski was supposed to be the next cab off the rank but he doesn't seem to be pulling up trees at Vitesse and I'm not sure Gilmour is the answer. Throw in the unfortunate Mwepu and we'd be looking light in the middle if we lost Caceido and Macalister who we know big clubs are circling about. I'm guessing but I think the club would consider it a result of we kept one of the 2.
Yes, I think Alexis will go but we’ll not want to lose both in the same year.
Get Johnny in from Brazil and give him a year to integrate into the team as a Caicedo replacement.
Kozlowski may come good as he’s only young but at present doesn’t look like the Caicedo replacement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Get Johnny in from Brazil and give him a year to integrate into the team as a Caicedo replacement.
Kozlowski may come good as he’s only young but at present doesn’t look like the Caicedo replacement.
Got Moder to come back too……

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can't see Kozlowski ever replacing Caicedo. They are pretty much the opposite as players. More likely Kozlowski will play as no 10.

Not next season though. He has a lot of work to do before being ready for Premier League.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Are you confusing release clauses with a price we would be unable to refuse?
I just presumed in this modern day that there would be a clause in a players contract that if an EPL table topping team came in for a player, they would have to offer a minimum to buy said player. Yes there would be a sum that Tony had in mind but maybe that sum, say £80 million, was in the contract. Thus stopping a player asking to leave and going on strike for a move so that said EPL table topping club could then buy him for £27 million.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I just presumed in this modern day that there would be a clause in a players contract that if an EPL table topping team came in for a player, they would have to offer a minimum to buy said player. Yes there would be a sum that Tony had in mind but maybe that sum, say £80 million, was in the contract. Thus stopping a player asking to leave and going on strike for a move so that said EPL table topping club could then buy him for £27 million.
What is this EPL you talk of? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here