Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Am I right in saying that Caicedo has only played 26 Premier League games for us?

Maybe just over half a season, and yet it's being portrayed almost like we're holding him against his will.

He's received some awful advice from his new agents today and that statement feels all kinds of wrong.
Correct. He's trying to play it like because he's given us so much that we should do him this favour. You've played 26 games!!! Fuk right off!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
We do not have to sell.

When players don't make the grade, we can't just ditch their contract, we have to pay their salary for the whole of their contract. When players do really well, they can't just demand to leave before their contract is up.
Players have the power. He will go by Tuesday night, I'm sure.

If we threw him in the reserves for six months, it would send a terrible message to other young players looking to join (and their agents).

BTW, don't know if anyone has mentioned... at least 20% of the fee (some say 30%) will be going to Independiente del Valle. Eek.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sure, but you said about the possibility of an injury ending his career, and the chance to set his family up for life. We can offer that opportunity too, and in doing so he wouldn't miss the chance to earn more later, as his career should be longer than 5 years, and he could still go elsewhere if the release clause is met.

So yes, I can understand him wanting to earn more (and I don't begrudge that), but let's not pretend it's because he needs to secure his family's future.
OK. Point taken. I agree he’s not in penury and his family will be nicely set up as a result of his association with the Good Ship Albion. Trouble is, the argument will always be that it’s a high risk sport and you strike while the iron is hot. He’ll just want to secure his family’s future a little more.

Greedy though, innit? Sigh!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Your points would be reflected in the valuation. That's why I'm saying that Arsenal can't afford it.
Say £75m but Albion stumble along to midtable and the Europe dream ends pretty quickly.

TB being a fan at heart, I wonder if he’ll park the money side until the summer. Caicedo’s value isn’t going to fall. And yes I’m dismissing the over the top gloomy posts about a career ending knee injury or heart defect.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Another triumph apparently for one of the Six Real Teams™ in English football.

I'm pleased they just let us breathe the same rarified air they do, I really am.

(Tugs forelock)

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
When Trossard threw his toys out the pram everyone pointed the finger at him and his agent.
How much involvement did Arsenal have in that?
Are they trying to do exactly the same again with MC?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some sanity here...

Things were looking good for Brighton & Hove Albion just a week ago.

It's easy to put a list together of everyone who's left.... yeah, boo hoo hoo.

But we're happy with the Potter/RDZ swap, and Cucurella/Pervis, not that fussed about Trossard, etc etc.

Caicedo WILL BE a massive 'loss'. It feels like a massive kick in teeth, as we've had less than a season out of him.

But here's the rub: he was ALWAYS too good for us (or any non-top six team).

He was star in his national team, called the ‘Ecuadorian Kante’, aged just 18.

Man United, Liverpool and AC Milan were after him FFS. They only backed out because of the legals, permits etc.

The club worked hard to get him to England, and will get rewarded with £50m+. That's not a loss!

Caicedo's exit is not a flaw in Albion's system. It's not the end of the dream. In this case, we just aimed a little too high imo.

(Also, the mid-season World Cup has clearly destablised players/the market this winter)
Or he stays until the summer, we make Europe and receive a fee of £100m.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I learnt quite by accident from an unexpected but v reliable source he met up with arteta last week but after then the word was Chelsea was his preferred choice cos of the higher wages - then when the bids were too low from both camps and him saying he’s happy here I thought it’s definitively now a summer deal - can only think they’ve (Arsenal) increased their wages offer since and with the prospect of a medal he’s switched - very much new agent led, I hope TB switches his phone off now - he won’t sulk he’s not trossard he’ll get over it - can’t give in unless it’s absolutely stupid money - all this blatant tapping ups got to stop - I know we must have done it too on occasions but it’s becoming a joke

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Say £75m but Albion stumble along to midtable and the Europe dream ends pretty quickly.

TB being a fan at heart, I wonder if he’ll park the money side until the summer. Caicedo’s value isn’t going to fall. And yes I’m dismissing the over the top gloomy posts about a career ending knee injury or heart defect.
The European dream is exactly that, a dream! Even with Caicedo in our team we're probably more likely to finish 12th than in the top 6 regardless of what the bookies or super computers say right now.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Some sanity here...

The club worked hard to get him to England, and will get rewarded with £50m+. That's not a loss!
That's the bit that you've got wrong. They are deliberately manipulating the situation to de-stabilise Caicedo in order to obtain him below his market value. They're trying to force us to take £60m which is about £20m to £30m less than we should receive in a marketplace with any integrity.
Having myself had a couple of hours to think about it, I think that Tony Bloom might well draw a line in the sand on this occasion and stick to his guns with a much higher price. Just like Shaktar did with Mudryk's proposed move to Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here