Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mohammed Kudus **Signed For West Ham 27/08**

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I wonder if the Caicedo media circus isn’t helping us much here.

The perception being propagated in certain circles (never mind the reality) is that we are holding out for too much money for Caicedo when he wants to leave.

Kudus clearly doesn’t dream of playing for Brighton and will want to jump to a big club at the first opportunity. Ajax fans are already pissed off with him for this mindset. If he thinks that Brighton will hold him back, he might be reluctant, so if he believes the Caicedo nonsense then that’s a problem.

I keep seeing comments online about him having incredible talent but low tactical IQ - not sure that will work with de Zerbi. Clearly a talented player but at €40m in a position of depth? If we miss out I won’t lose sleep.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If he's holding out for another club at this stage then I'd give him a firm deadline to sign and see what happens then. And move on to alternative targets unless he finds his pen.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Ajax gave him a deadline. If it was reported correctly, he has to advise them of his intentions around midday today!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It makes sense that the higher the caliber of player, the harder they are to sign. We haven't gone to all this effort to get this far advanced in the purchase of a player who we consider worthy of a club record fee, just to give an ultimatum or walk away right at the end.

I'm sure an Orient player couldn't wait to sign but we're shopping in a different market here. Keep the faith.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
It makes sense that the higher the caliber of player, the harder they are to sign. We haven't gone to all this effort to get this far advanced in the purchase of a player who we consider worthy of a club record fee, just to give an ultimatum or walk away right at the end.

I'm sure an Orient player couldn't wait to sign but we're shopping in a different market here. Keep the faith.
But we cant just hang around while he waits to see if anything better comes along. There needs to be some kind of timescale because if he's not signing we need to be making enquiries about other players instead, and we need time left in the window for any other potential deals to be done.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But we cant just hang around while he waits to see if anything better comes along. There needs to be some kind of timescale because if he's not signing we need to be making enquiries about other players instead, and we need time left in the window for any other potential deals to be done.
Well exactly.

It also doesn't augur well for the future. If, if, he is waiting for a better offer, then if he were to join us, it suggests he will always be on the lookout for his next move, and not be fully focused on his current job.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Well exactly.

It also doesn't augur well for the future. If, if, he is waiting for a better offer, then if he were to join us, it suggests he will always be on the lookout for his next move, and not be fully focused on his current job.
I hope that's not the case, and it's rather that him and his agent are just trying to negotiate better terms. But there still needs to be a timeframe on how long it can drag on for

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is a timeframe, because reportedly Ajax want a decision by today.
I doubt they'll enforce it.

If they get an offer that matches their valuation (which they have) and Kudus agrees terms with someone, then they're hardly likely to block the move because its gone beyond some arbitrary deadline they set.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well exactly.

But that’s happened with the vast majority of our players. Arsenal have always been interested in Trossard for example, even before we signed him

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder if the Caicedo media circus isn’t helping us much here.

The perception being propagated in certain circles (never mind the reality) is that we are holding out for too much money for Caicedo when he wants to leave.

Kudus clearly doesn’t dream of playing for Brighton and will want to jump to a big club at the first opportunity. Ajax fans are already pissed off with him for this mindset. If he thinks that Brighton will hold him back, he might be reluctant, so if he believes the Caicedo nonsense then that’s a problem.
Don't believe it's conected to the Caicedo saga at all - Kudus hasn't agreed terms; he wants more money so is hoping for a 'big' club to come in for him (or us to shatter our pay structure).
I keep seeing comments online about him having incredible talent but low tactical IQ - not sure that will work with de Zerbi. Clearly a talented player but at €40m in a position of depth? If we miss out I won’t lose sleep.
But it's de Zerbi who has been pushing for him, apparantly.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
If that is true I would be reluctant to sign him on the basis of his attitude. Just suppose he joins the Albion bandwagon and has a superb season. Would he jump ship at the first opportunity that a ‘big club’ comes sniffing around? I suppose though that is the Albion template now for up and coming talent - join us, get noticed in the best league in the world, move on to bigger and better things with the so called elite in football. :shrug:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Probably nonsense, but I've read somewhere this morning, can't remember where, that Chelsea want either Kudus or Caicedo but can't afford both.

So they have Kudus on standby should their play for Moises fall through. Hence his reluctance to accept our offer.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
I doubt they'll enforce it.

If they get an offer that matches their valuation (which they have) and Kudus agrees terms with someone, then they're hardly likely to block the move because its gone beyond some arbitrary deadline they set.
Yeah, I don't think they have much to say on the matter if they've already accepted our bid. But we should be saying a similar thing in my opinion. Something along the lines of "Here's our final contact offer on xxxx terms, accept by xxxx date or it's off the table" and then move on if it's not accepted. We quickly moved on from Colwill when it became clear Chelsea weren't going to sell, I'd like to think we have a back up plan if this doesn't get over the line, but any deal will need time to complete, so we cant wait indefinitely.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The only way we can take the next step, that is to sign first team ready international class players, is to take a gamble on them leaving. This won't be the case forever. Continue our development, increases in the wage structure, our increased global profile, regularly getting deep in cups, regular European football etc should mean we can trust that players will actually stick around, but as it stands either we sign them risking they leave after 1, 1 1/2 seasons or not at all. We wont survive at this level purely signing kids.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Probably nonsense, but I've read somewhere this morning, can't remember where, that Chelsea want either Kudus or Caicedo but can't afford both.

So they have Kudus on standby should their play for Moises fall through. Hence his reluctance to accept our offer.
Yes, I read the same thing. Here it is:

The 'Boehly could be furious' in the headline does not inspire confidence in the truth of the article though.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Don't believe it's conected to the Caicedo saga at all - Kudus hasn't agreed terms; he wants more money so is hoping for a 'big' club to come in for him (or us to shatter our pay structure).
Sounds from some reports like Chelsea have done a bit of tapping up here and agreed (or at least offered) personal terms that are outside of our reach, whilst not tabling an offer to Ajax. He probably understandably wants us to meet those terms, thus the hold up.

I think Kudus comes to us and Caicedo leaves, or neither end up at Chelsea at this point (may end up elsewhere).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The only way we can take the next step, that is to sign first team ready international class players, is to take a gamble on them leaving. This won't be the case forever. Continue our development, increases in the wage structure, our increased global profile, regularly getting deep in cups, regular European football etc should mean we can trust that players will actually stick around, but as it stands either we sign them risking they leave after 1, 1 1/2 seasons or not at all. We wont survive at this level purely signing kids.
We don't just sign kids though do we - Dahoud, Milner, Estupinan, Igor, Mitoma, even Joao Pedro really don't fit into that category. The recruitment strategy is a lot more nuanced - than just signing 18 year wunderkids from Peru or Dublin. Although we do that too.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not sure if this is worth posting, but for completeness, or to muddy the waters even further, here's an article suggesting Kudus is eagerly waiting for an offer from Borussia Dortmund !

https://sportwitness.co.uk/player-c...agreeing-eagerly-awaiting-offer-another-club/

I've absolutely no idea how reliable this is, if at all. But I do sense that this deal is becoming ridiculous and it's best we walk away.
Having said that, Man Utd walked away from a deal for Caicedo before we signed him....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here