Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile phones - good or bad

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can't do without mine. Panic if I can't find it. Makes me wonder if I should get rid of it. But overall are they good or bad?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we have one for emergencies only

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It never bothered me for years whether I had one or not but now it's essential for me to have one.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Bad your Mrs can always get hold of you now. Playing away from home is more difficult

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I very rarely use mine, I take it out with me in case of emergency's. Like if my mobility scooter breaks down. I don't understand those who are completely obsessed with their phones, except people who use them for business obviously. What I mean is my Son is 18 and went on and on about the new iphone, he eventually got one and is forever playing around with it. He doesn't use it for work, so I don't understand him paying stupid money for it on contract.:nono:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When mobile phones started they were for one purpose - to make a phone call whilst being mobile.

Today they are a fashion assessory, if you haven't got the latest blackberry (for school kids) or iphone (for anybody else) you are a nobody

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I was on the train to a business appointment in the smoke a few days back when I realised I'd left my iPhone at home. Oh the joy of having to find and use a public phone kiosk in London - clearly some people confuse the words 'public phone kiosk' with 'public convenience'.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Annoying thing about phones is some people inability to leave the thing alone. People just walk about permantly on their phone. Have a few mates that have text convos elsewhere when out for the night which is rude.

Worst thing for me though is the ability to film and particularly at a festival / rave. Years ago people used to take loads of drugs and get totally engrossed into the moment / music. Now everyone forgets to lose themselves and instead has to point their phone to film. How can you be having the best time of your life while you have to mess about with buttons etc . This link sums up what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lhGjyxRzo&feature=related

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think that they have gone from being a brilliant invention which have their uses, to being a bloody nuisance, because they have created a generation of socially dysfunctonal idiots. No-one under the age of 30 seems capable of walking, or even breathing, anymore unless they're talking or texting on their bloody mobiles!

I have to say that young women are the most addicted; all young women now seem to have to walk around with their barbie-pink mobiles in their hand all the time - 'oooh, look at me; aren't I cool and sexy!'

I was in Leeds for a meeting yesterday, and during a 30 minute walk through city centre at lunchtime, I don't think I saw a single women under the age of about 30 who was not nattering on her phone (only about a third of the men were on their mobiles), or walking like zombies, staring down to read her 500th text of the day, and unaware of anyone else on the pavement, so that everyone else had to get out of her way! On one occasion, 3 women were walking along together, all of them on their mobiles (perhaps they were chatting to each other!). It was the same later, when I was waiting for the bus to the airport: every single woman under about 30 was on her mobile; even crossing the road, they're oblivious to the traffic, because they are so absorbed in talking or texting. Oh, and on the train up to Leeds, a woman got on at Sheffield, sat at my table, and then spent the next 55 minutes continually sending texts, putting her phone down, then 4 seconds later, picking it up again to see if she's had a reply.

Then, last night, having got home, my wife and I went for a drink at our local, and at the table next to ours was a group of young women; one of them spent the whole evening staring down at her phone, texting or checking for a reply to her last text,, or running outside and standing in the rain (!) to chat to someone on her phone. The one thing she didn't do in the 3 hours she was in the pub was talk to her mates!!! If I'd been one of them, I'd have told her to f**k off for being so rude and socialy inept. I bet when she's shagging someone she's checking her 'phone every few seconds.

Mobile phones have their uses, but most young people can't do anything anymore - even watch a band or a film, or go for a curry - without checking their phones every 3 seconds. I really do think mobiles have created a generation of social retards, peope who are slaves to their phones, and who can't function properly in public or when with other people. People don't enjoy, or focus on, what they're actually doing anymore; the mobile conversation or texting is always the priority.

Really, how much of the information which people pass between each other on their mobiles is actually interesting or important? :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think that they have gone from being a brilliant invention which have their uses, to being a bloody nuisance, because they have created a generation of socially dysfunctonal idiots. No-one under the age of 30 seems capable of walking, or even breathing, anymore unless they're talking or texting on their bloody mobiles!

I have to say that young women are the most addicted; all young women now seem to have to walk around with their barbie-pink mobiles in their hand all the time - 'oooh, look at me; aren't I cool and sexy!'

I was in Leeds for a meeting yesterday, and during a 30 minute walk through city centre at lunchtime, I don't think I saw a single women under the age of about 30 who was not nattering on her phone (only about a third of the men were on their mobiles), or walking like zombies, staring down to read her 500th text of the day, and unaware of anyone else on the pavement, so that everyone else had to get out of her way! On one occasion, 3 women were walking along together, all of them on their mobiles (perhaps they were chatting to each other!). It was the same later, when I was waiting for the bus to the airport: every single woman under about 30 was on her mobile; even crossing the road, they're oblivious to the traffic, because they are so absorbed in talking or texting. Oh, and on the train up to Leeds, a woman got on at Sheffield, sat at my table, and then spent the next 55 minutes continually sending texts, putting her phone down, then 4 seconds later, picking it up again to see if she's had a reply.

Then, last night, having got home, my wife and I went for a drink at our local, and at the table next to ours was a group of young women; one of them spent the whole evening staring down at her phone, texting or checking for a reply to her last text,, or running outside and standing in the rain (!) to chat to someone on her phone. The one thing she didn't do in the 3 hours she was in the pub was talk to her mates!!! If I'd been one of them, I'd have told her to f**k off for being so rude and socialy inept. I bet when she's shagging someone she's checking her 'phone every few seconds.

Mobile phones have their uses, but most young people can't do anything anymore - even watch a band or a film, or go for a curry - without checking their phones every 3 seconds. I really do think mobiles have created a generation of social retards, peope who are slaves to their phones, and who can't function properly in public or when with other people. People don't enjoy, or focus on, what they're actually doing anymore; the mobile conversation or texting is always the priority.

Really, how much of the information which people pass between each other on their mobiles is actually interesting or important? :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

A great read and very true. Problem is once you notice it and take issue with it , then you see it everywhere and it is actually a right annoyance

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Good in an emergency. A few years ago, long before I had a mobile phone, I was first on the scene of a road accident on country road some way from the nearest town...fortunately one of the first people to pitch up and help me render first aid had a mobile phone to call for an ambulance. The bad side is that people have become slaves to their phones and don't get me started on the cretins who still use hands-on mobiles whilst driving!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
[MENTION=365]Dougal[/MENTION] [MENTION=2318]Peteinblack[/MENTION]: 2 xlnt posts. #SoTrue #IfYouWantToTalkWhyDontYouCallMeRatherThanEngageWithAllThisCrap.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wannabe gangsta teenagers huddled round their phone listening to shit tunes that sound at best tinny.....don't get me started on that

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
When mobile phones started they were for one purpose - to make a phone call whilst being mobile.

Today they are a fashion assessory, if you haven't got the latest blackberry (for school kids) or iphone (for anybody else) you are a nobody

Or android handset (for those who aren't *****)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wannabe gangsta teenagers huddled round their phone listening to shit tunes that sound at best tinny.....don't get me started on that

although has that really changed at all - massive gettoblasters on their shoulders in the 80's has become tiny ones in their hand in the 10's - its still kids listening to rubbish music in order to annoy everybody else

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Never has so much been said by so many with so little to say.

A class rant and very true. My daughter (9) is perpetually nagging us for a mobile as apparently "all her friends have them" (which I doubt although I am sure a good number do). She is unable to clearly answer the question as what use it would be to her.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
hate them but sadly cannot live with out them.......................which thread is this phones or women

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here