Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mobile phone advice for work and play

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I really liked my old HTC windows mobiles phones but I then moved to Symbian which was good for what it does although fairly limited in comparison and now I am on to the iPhone which is a fabulous piece of kit that just works and everything is slick. I am tempted to make my next an Android phone depending on how Android develops over the next year as my contract is not up until December. Obviously if the 4th Gen iphone turns out to be groundbreaking then I'll perhaps get another but I tend to like to move around to get a feel for the different types of phones.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That wasn't an early HTC, HTC have been making WM phones for bloody years now ....

they are great if your not an idiot !!! ..

That sentence EXPLODES with irony...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Handsets are a personal choice, but for business contracts Vodafone are very hard to beat. The back up has always been superb.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Dear all,

After years of not owning my own mobile phone.

I am having to invest my very precious cash into one of these boy toys.

I may well be having to go self employed very soon, so key:

is the accesibility to my e-mails and internet,
my PC is windows,
easy to use,
a good contract,
camera is a consideration, as it will save lugging one around,
looking good, having a smart screen, ability to play music, video's to keep the little ones amused on train trips are bonuses.

LC
Lc, i saw the bird you were so keen on today ! she looks like she showered in cuprinol this morning :lolol:

:laugh:
Lc, i saw the bird you were so keen on today ! she looks like she showered in cuprinol this morning :lolol:

the winter sun:laugh:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Made the move from iPhone to Hero about 3 months ago myself, haven't looked back.

Got the G2 Touch (Hero but on T-Mobile) myself. Is it me or do you find yours crashing quite alot of the time? Might be due to my phone having 2000 odd texts on it though at the min?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I not a brand slave, but liked the look of the NOKIA N900 out of curiosity because it has a new proper operating system, rather than the ageing Nokia usual one.

I've been very impressed and on the basis I was able to listen to the commentary on Seagulls World with it, I'm now sold.

Battery Life, well pretty much with all these things. If you play around with all day, it will go down on you later in the evening !

What I really like about it (compared to other devices) is the flexibility of having a touch screen, a real keyboard, a virtual one and a stylus. The touch screen is better on the IPhone, but I have a stylus to click on those links that chubby fingers struggle with.

With all those tools on board, it makes using the web very easy.

Also (as is normal these days) you can hook the thing up to e.g. Hotmail and you get emails just like text messages.

It look me a while to get used to receiving a call :) and I'm positive the sound quality was better on the N95 as were the speakers.

Generally works a lot better now I've updated the Operating System, which incidently is nothing like doing it on a grown up PC. You simply go to the updates section and let it do it's thing.

Not perfect, but very good all the same.

It's big, but it isn't a toy.

The Seagulls World thing should clinch the deal.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got the G2 Touch (Hero but on T-Mobile) myself. Is it me or do you find yours crashing quite alot of the time? Might be due to my phone having 2000 odd texts on it though at the min?

The amount of texts you have on there could be something to do with it, I've noticed slowdown when opening a conversation with hundreds of texts in.

Also just generally a good idea to de-clutter all your apps you're not using every so often.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
The amount of texts you have on there could be something to do with it, I've noticed slowdown when opening a conversation with hundreds of texts in.

Also just generally a good idea to de-clutter all your apps you're not using every so often.

Cheers, will attempt to do that now :thumbsup:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I am still a strong believer in iPhones, I just rate the HTC Hero very highly as well. It's powered by a company behind Google, and early HTC's were known as "Google phones".

This isn't actually true. HTC have been making phones far longer than Google have been in the market. I had an HTC handset SIX phones ago now in the early part of the noughties. They were normally branded by the operators however and it is only relatively recently that HTC has become a known brand to consumers.

HTC also make phones that run Windows Mobile however this operating system is widely regarded as considerably weaker than the open source Android and Apple's iPhone OS despite its supposedly simpler interface with Windows PCs.

This is one of the few markets Microsoft operate in but don't have a dominating market share of

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This isn't actually true. HTC have been making phones far longer than Google have been in the market. I had an HTC handset SIX phones ago now in the early part of the noughties. They were normally branded by the operators however and it is only relatively recently that HTC has become a known brand to consumers.

HTC also make phones that run Windows Mobile however this operating system is widely regarded as considerably weaker than the open source Android and Apple's iPhone OS despite its supposedly simpler interface with Windows PCs.

This is one of the few markets Microsoft operate in but don't have a dominating market share of

Perhaps I should've specified "first smartphone/phone worth having"?

Yes. I chose the Hero over the HD2 specifically because of Android being far better than Windows Mobile.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Yes. I chose the Hero over the HD2 specifically because of Android being far better than Windows Mobile.

Funny I did exactly the opposite :p

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This debate will never be over.

I long for a day when I can go out and buy a phone (or device capable of making calls) and load whatever damn well operating system I like on it.

.. and also freely choose the operator.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This debate will never be over.

I long for a day when I can go out and buy a phone (or device capable of making calls) and load whatever damn well operating system I like on it.

.. and also freely choose the operator.

Yes, that's the point. I like the look of the Nokia 9000 too but Three doesn't offer that. I could, of course, change operators but then I have to go through a load of hassle on credit checks, direct debits etc

If we could choose phone and operator, life would be much easier

I'd never choose Windows Mobile though - that's a definite no-no

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
is the accesibility to my e-mails and internet,
my PC is windows,
easy to use,
a good contract,
camera is a consideration, as it will save lugging one around,
looking good, having a smart screen, ability to play music, video's to keep the little ones amused on train trips are bonuses.

LC

This list is a given on a large number of phones today. Camera quality though is generally still quite basic, so if you want something better go for the Sony Ericisson Satio already tipped. Personally I would rather save the money and carry a grown up camera for when I want to take more than basic snaps.

If you are interested in functionality over brand take a look at the T-mobile Pulse. This is a low cost Android (google phone) and my top tip for bangs for bucks.

I have a Nokia E51 phone through work, which I have had for a couple of years now, it runs Blackberry software, TomTom Navigator and a sprinkling of games, plus it is showing little or no signs of wear and tear. So personally I am not in a hurry to splash the cash on phones and hefty contracts.

Absolutely top thanks for everyone who contributed especially clarifying technical issues and pointing me in the right direction,

LC

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well I have just got rid of my old mobile, below. It was a really good machine, plenty of apps etc but I saw the Bosch model and well, lets just say I think you can see why I upgraded.

old_mobile_phones_012.jpg

So yeah, the one below is my new one. I had it delivered this morning, the truck couldn't get down my road so me and some of the lads from the close got it back. You can see the red and black colour scheme looks pretty good but the main bonus with this one is it has a battery life of anything between 4 and 10 mins, which is gonna come in pretty handy for work. You can't see it in this pic but it has got a a really nice hologram security sticker on the bottom, nice feature that.

old_mobile_phones_010.jpg

The guy in the Carphone Warehouse said that soon, well within the next decade, These (below) handheld models will be at least in the prototype stage but I didn't really believe him. Anyone reckon they would be able to afford one if they ever do? The guy said that to even try and be realistic he would be looking at charging anything upwards of 200 quid to get your hands on that. He reckons at some point you wont even have to speak to someone you can just "Infotext" a message to someone (dream on).

istockphoto_6326351-old-mobile-phone.jpg

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
iPhone, simple really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here