Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mobile or print at home?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Everyone can purchase a paper ticket and scan it at the turnstiles, not everyone owns, or can use, a mobile phone.

The percentage ownership in each age range has been posted earlier in the thread. It is sufficient for the club to move forward with the new technology. You can’t seriously be suggesting they wait until every last person has a smart phone. It is up to people to keep up with new technology and every business can decide its use of technology for itself. Calling discrimination is a bit of a low blow.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Does seem hard to justify charging so much for emailing a pdf file.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
My guess is the club are probably operating two systems in the backend to support print and home and the mobile ticketing. Like with the cashless stadium I imagine the club are looking to move to fully digital tickets with the charge acting as another step to encourage digital take up.

With 96% of people under 55 now owning a smartphone it is the direction of travel for ticketing. That’s not to say something does not need to be offered to those with accessibility issues but hardly surprising the club are going down this route.

450815caee100317214dd922af90b116.jpg

This suggests more than 96%. The 96% is only for the age group 35-54. Below that you have 99% and 98% for the other age groups, putting it somewhere between 96 and 98% of people.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The percentage ownership in each age range has been posted earlier in the thread. It is sufficient for the club to move forward with the new technology. You can’t seriously be suggesting they wait until every last person has a smart phone. It is up to people to keep up with new technology and every business can decide its use of technology for itself. Calling discrimination is a bit of a low blow.

Calling it discrimination is not a low blow nor is it untrue. There are different forms of discrimination and whether one decides that it is important, not very important or not at all important is discrimination in itself.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Calling it discrimination is not a low blow nor is it untrue. There are different forms of discrimination and whether one decides that it is important, not very important or not at all important is discrimination in itself.

Ok, well we are not going to agree I guess. Your definition of discrimination would encompass everyone overtaken by new technology over the last thousand years.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ok, well we are not going to agree I guess. Your definition of discrimination would encompass everyone overtaken by new technology over the last thousand years.

I think we are arguing about 2 different things. You are rightly discriminating your argument from mine. Discrimination/ing has received a pejorative sense but in fact it can be positive or neutral as well. If the club decide anything at all it is also discriminating. It is free to do so whether we agree or not. This issue doesn't affect me but because the club is choosing to go along a path that makes one thing less likely/harder for some people, it is discriminating. It is simply a choice. I am not condeming the club and in fact I am very techie being a computing teacher, I just recognise that this is hard for some.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

certainly shouldnt be making a compulsory change for a club relying on community support. this discriminates on basis of age going by the stats. dont just to have a smartphone either, but one reasonably upto date to run supported apps. no good reason to force this and its sad the club cant see that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So the scanner that reads a bar code on a phone is different to that which reads a bar code on a phone......not sure i knew that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here