Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Broadband

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
5mb for a whole hospital? :laugh:

PCTs spend a fortune on telecoms, most hospitals will have multiple gig ccts in an IPVPN between each other and a few hundred Mb connection to the Internet at least..! And I moved away from this sector 4 years ago, prices have more than halved since then

your right they are probably linked into somthing substantial. not that they use it, they might spend money, but there are nurses that dont know how to send a spreadsheet. 5mb would be more than they probably know what to do with (considering a typical business with several hundred people wouldnt fully utilise that)

...20 meg is a theoretical maximum, same with the 100mb/s ethernet.

A network is only as fast as its slowest part, and if its running of the same infastructure all other internet connections run off, then it'll get slowed down by the Copper wiring that this country has.

Yes there is fiber optics, but its not everywhere. Not by a long shot. I'm happy to be proved wrong but a :facepalm: doesn't prove me wrong at all.

two things to point out, ethernet (copper btw) is much more efficient than broadband, you can get 80mb+ i believe. and all the backbone between exchanges and is fibre and massive mb bandwidth there. the slowest parts are often the technology rather than the medium.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Would your numbers total the 10 billion pound estimate BT made a year or two ago for hooking up 80%-100% of the country?

EDIT: internally, inside the hospital of course its not like domestic broad band but there isn't a seperate network of wires for hospital internet under the streets and over teh world, it travels down the same lines as our internet does.

Oops. Wrong.

Customers can have a dedicated fibre provided to thier premises at speeds up to 1 gigabit

have a look at zen : Ethernet Line | Leased Lines | Business | Zen Internet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here