Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MM still in charge for Falmer?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anyone who's followed football since MM was manager of Albion's fave second team Reading will know that he, fairly or unfairly, was labelled a mercenary manager, and certainly an ambitious one. Is it then realistic to think he will hang around for another three seasons of 'treading water' at Withdean followed by another season or two of stabilising at Falmer before we can field a side capable of hopefully challenging at the upper reaches of the Championship?

Obviously there is the other scenario that if results go tits up then DK could decide to get rid, but as Harty says, based on what he has done on a non-existent budget to date, a five year contract should possibly be offered.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
If we lose at Stoke tommorrow will he be incharge for much longer, I know the arguements for no replacement, availability of players but these questions have to be asked.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It is a long time in football between now and when the stadium is actually finished.

I'd like to hope he'll still be here but given our track record and his, I'd say there's a less than 50% chance he'll still be at the helm in 2008

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Goring Gull said:
If we lose at Stoke tommorrow will he be incharge for much longer, I know the arguements for no replacement, availability of players but these questions have to be asked.

What a joke post. I really wonder what youre on to be honest. We are 3 points away from 11th place. He wont get the sack this season even if we go down, thats a fact regardless of wether you or I agree with it.

Look at the league, we are the worst resourced team by far in the division and are rightly favourites to go down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Goring Gull said:
No you're right. If we lose tomrrow, McGhee has to go.

Thank THE LORD you asked the question.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Asked the questions and i'm being flamed again. Ok we haven't lost many and maybe not winning tommorrow is a 90% possibility but it's the home form that worries me.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Dan said:
What a joke post. I really wonder what youre on to be honest. We are 3 points away from 11th place. He wont get the sack this season even if we go down, thats a fact regardless of wether you or I agree with it.

Look at the league, we are the worst resourced team by far in the division and are rightly favourites to go down.

Not really a joke post, just one that you do not agree with Daniel.

You are correct that the table is tight and a couple of wins and you are sitting about 14th. However 6 wins to date in 2005 is just not good enough.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I tink if we lose the next home game then we have every right to start throwing a wobbler. Think about we do go down you've got sicknote FDM still being piad we will be getting less cash in league one. I also worry that we won't fill Withdeans new seats in this position and especially if we go down.

The euphoria of Falmer will soon be forgotten by the masses and 3 years is a long time, you will also get the attitude bollocks to Withdean i'll wait till Falmers built.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Uncle Buck said:

You are correct that the table is tight and a couple of wins and you are sitting about 14th. However 6 wins to date in 2005 is just not good enough.

Oh come on Piers its not even bloody Xmas how can you talk about sacking a manager who performed a miracle to keep us up last season, and has assembled a team that is playing the best football we have seen by a Brighton side in the last 10 years?

I know there are weaknesses but Goring constantly posts negative threads, it seems like attention seeking to me because those sorts of threads are bound to get lots of responses and be controversial. There are a few others who fall into the above imo as well.

Im the first to have a moan when it really is the time, and Im not happy that we arent winning or scoring enough goals, but until MM has been given the money to really bring in some quality surely you agree it is farcical to expect him to be sacked?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

Your comments re England and the Albion don't seem to tally, we are not in the relegation zone so MM is doing the job he was employed to do, much like Sven stumbling to qualification (and that was good enough for you i believe). Don't think anyone expected much better so it is good enough and will remain so as long as we don't go down.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Dan said:
Oh come on Piers its not even bloody Xmas how can you talk about sacking a manager who performed a miracle to keep us up last season, and has assembled a team that is playing the best football we have seen by a Brighton side in the last 10 years?

I know there are weaknesses but Goring constantly posts negative threads, it seems like attention seeking to me because those sorts of threads are bound to get lots of responses and be controversial. There are a few others who fall into the above imo as well.

Im the first to have a moan when it really is the time, and Im not happy that we arent winning or scoring enough goals, but until MM has been given the money to really bring in some quality surely you agree it is farcical to expect him to be sacked?

Althought not the biggest McGhee fan, I think last season he achieved his aims (just like Sven has getting England to the World Cup!!), but I do worry over the lack of wins this year. If we play like we did at Leeds then I feel that they will come, but at times on Tuesday (certainly towards the end) there was a sense that nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

Regarding playing the best football for years, I would say the Coppell side in this division at times played that. This season the style has improved, but by nature McGhee tends to play very attritional football and if results do not pick up, I suspect we will go back to that.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes, he has stated his deisre to be the manager in 2008 and i cant see us sacking him for a long time!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Your comments re England and the Albion don't seem to tally, we are not in the relegation zone so MM is doing the job he was employed to do, much like Sven stumbling to qualification (and that was good enough for you i believe). Don't think anyone expected much better so it is good enough and will remain so as long as we don't go down.

Read my response to Albion Dan.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If the season finished now in the position we are in everyone would hail it a success.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Read my response to Albion Dan.

So it is good enough then.....at the moment

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Is Goring Gull the new Ernest?

Do we really need a new Ernest?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Uncle Buck said:
At present we are keeping our heads above water. The lack of wins this year is the worry, but then a decent run and that could double.

Do you accept that with MM hasnt really been given the funds to greatly improve the squad?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i doubt McGhee will be around in another 3 years, dont see the club or him staying that committed, 5 years is a long time at one club these days. Either one will get get tired of the other, we'll go through some awfull form, or he'll be successful and be poached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here