Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] MLB 2024 Season

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I am putting together a proposal for a three day Baseball film festival around the 2025 London Series.

Be good to get some mainstream and obscure Film / TV suggestions Baseball related.
Any news about this yet @Billy in Bristol ? I'd be interested in going along - and will put it out on the group chat for the rest of the Brighton Baseball Club players, if its happening?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
4th place. 1/2 game ahead of the Pirates while the Brewers are 1st place 1/2 game only above Cubs!!

How do you feel about the lowly birds now?
We've dragged ourselves off bottom place, only largely thanks to the Pirates.
And now we have a series with the statistically worst team in baseball, who will no doubt add to their six wins this year.

In short, still not happy.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Something very strange happening at the moment. Rockies have the best winning streak in the league (won 6) including a sweep of the Rangers and winning the first two of a three game series against the Padres.

Of course, they are still only ahead of the Marlins in games won this season and I'm sure that they will go back to their usual losing state shortly.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Something very strange happening at the moment. Rockies have the best winning streak in the league (won 6) including a sweep of the Rangers and winning the first two of a three game series against the Padres.

Of course, they are still only ahead of the Marlins in games won this season and I'm sure that they will go back to their usual losing state shortly.
After the series win against LA, I thought we could go on a run of wins / sweep this series v Colorado. How wrong was I? Even Dylan Cease (whos been brilliant since signing) couldn't get past the Rox last night.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Incredibly sad news this morning to hear of the passing of Willie Mays at the age of 93. An absolute legend of the game, and a name that everybody will have heard at some point - whether they're a baseball fan or not.
The Rickwood Field game tomorrow night, ironically honouring Mays and the rest of the Negro League players, will now take on extra meaning. RIP Say Hey.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FCB

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
With the All Star break coming up, how does everyone see the first half of the season for their respective teams?

Personally, the Padres are as infuriating as ever. Just one series sweep to their name, and some shocking series losses as well.
Yes, they've had their moments - Profar & Jackson Merrill have been superb - but I couldn't give them more than a 6/10 so far this year. Just not enough big names stepping up tbh. Musgrove is out long term, Darvish the same (although hes on a rehab assignment atm), Manny has been inconsistent, HS Kim hasn't really turned up this season, Tatis has played well at times (but now on IL), Arraez came over hot but has cooled off somewhat - as has Cease on the mound. Our pitching has looked light at times as well, but Waldron, King, (& Suarez) have been bright spots.

Really hope they can kick on after the break, and get some momentum heading into the post season.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not a great season for the Blue Jays so far. They had a promising start but then went on a terrible run and haven't really recovered from that. There has been the odd good performance and scoring runs doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, so there is some hope. Very much an outside bet to make the wildcard, which would require quite the comeback.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Jose Miranda first player with 12 consecutive hits after 72 years.

Minnesota Twins infielder José Miranda tied MLB history on Saturday, running his streak of consecutive at-bats with a hit to a record-tying 12 after a fourth-inning single against the Astros. Miranda subsequently made his first out in days in the sixth inning, hitting a fly out to left fielder Chas McCormick that ended his bid at sole ownership of the record.

While Miranda's attempt to become the first Major League Baseball player since at least 1961 to record a hit 11 plate appearances in a row was snapped earlier on Saturday, when he was hit by a pitch from Hunter Brown in the first inning, he did single in his first and second official at-bats. Miranda set the Twins' record for most consecutive hits with his 10th in a row on Friday night.

Miranda's streak will live on in a three-way tie for the MLB record for most consecutive at-bats with a hit, alongside Walt Dropo (1952), Pinky Higgins (1938) and Johnny Kling (1902). Additionally, Miranda is the only player in the Expansion Era to extend his consecutive hits streak to 12 at-bats in a row. Dustin Pedroia (2016) and Bernie Williams (2002) both ran streaks to 11.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Don't really know what to say about the Mariners season so far. We led AL West by 10 games not too long ago but have almost bottled it in last two weeks and now we're only two wins above Houston who are warming up. Luckily for us Texas is still struggling though.

We have bottom 3 offense in MLB by most stats and probably the best pitching in the AL. Arguably top rotation in MLB and bullpen is keeping it together as well despite struggling with injuries.

If we could just somehow make that offense at least league average we would be in a very good position but I'm waiting for this for years and we never really improve so already lost all hope.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And then its all gone wrong the last 2 days....(for us anyway!) 😆
Given the current state of our starting rotation I was dreading the road trip this last week (to the Dodgers and then you guys). So to go 4-2 (and for us to be ahead going into the bottom of the ninth of those 2 losses - 2 blown saves for our closer) was pretty remarkable.

We've got yet another rookie starting pitcher making his debut today (Monday) against the Braves; it's crazy.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Given the current state of our starting rotation I was dreading the road trip this last week (to the Dodgers and then you guys). So to go 4-2 (and for us to be ahead going into the bottom of the ninth of those 2 losses - 2 blown saves for our closer) was pretty remarkable.

We've got yet another rookie starting pitcher making his debut today (Monday) against the Braves; it's crazy.
Our age old problem of pitching depth is starting to rear its ugly head again. I really thought this season it looked stronger. With Darvish now gone for a while, Musgrove still out (but been awful since Spring Training anyway), and the bullpen struggling, its something Preller needs to address - quick.
Cease has had a few poor outings now, Mazur & Kolek are still REALLY raw, de los santos is just POOR (Vasquez not much better), & Peralta is a bit "meh", so only Waldron and King are really showing anything in the starting spots. Suarez has been lights out as closer, & Morejon has done well when needed, but they cant do it every night. Matsui seems to have sunk without trace as well.

A real shame as, for the most part, the bats come alive most days - but we cant back it up with consistent pitching!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't really know what to say about the Mariners season so far. We led AL West by 10 games not too long ago but have almost bottled it in last two weeks and now we're only two wins above Houston who are warming up. Luckily for us Texas is still struggling though.

We have bottom 3 offense in MLB by most stats and probably the best pitching in the AL. Arguably top rotation in MLB and bullpen is keeping it together as well despite struggling with injuries.

If we could just somehow make that offense at least league average we would be in a very good position but I'm waiting for this for years and we never really improve so already lost all hope.
I enjoyed watching the Blue Jays beat the Mariners last night,

Mariners blew a 4-1 lead in top of the 7th, then left players in scoring positions in the 8th and 9th. In the 10th the Jays went in front and even then the Mariners responded by failing to score despite leaving the bases loaded AGAIN.

In short, exactly the sort of shit scenario I've got used to seeing the Blue Jays regularly get into over the course of the last 2 seasons.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
FB_IMG_1721112110743.jpg

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
What in the world is this? :rolleyes:

She also looks bad, was she sick or on some substances?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
If you were being polite, maybe she was overcome with nerves. Didn’t help that one of the players was struggling to stifle his laughter part way through

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here