Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MK Dons

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
They are my nearest club; have ambition and a fan base and would have been interested to see if they could fill the stadium. Access is very poor, a Saturday afternoon sharing a car park with IKEA and europe's biggest Walmart/Asda wouldn't be much fun.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't go. f*** off I'm giving them a single penny.

seagulls4eva

Feb 7, 2006
Cumbria
Gully said:
Which makes me worried that if they do go out of the league some other team will be franchised so that they can play in that super stadium of theirs, who will be next I wonder?

With Luton looking for a new ground, a lot of their fans are worried it could be them.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Father Jack said:
By then AFC Wimbledon will hopefully be in the Conference at least or failing that even higher!!

AFC Wimbledon are currently 7th in the Ryman League Premier Division, behind such notables as Braintree Town, Fisher Athletic, Heybridge Swifts and Hampton & Richmond Borough. So they've a long way to go yet.

I hope you're reading this Attila......

:thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know it's footballing heresy - but I do have sympathy for the fans of MK Dons. Milton Keynes is a big place and were it in existence 80-odd years ago would have been invited to join the Football League. But to get a league club it has to start at the bottom of the football pyramid. Well 80 years ago they didn't.

I know the arguments - and I do not like the way it was done - although I would put blame at the feet of Merton and Hamman as much as MK.

I have nephews in MK and I think it is a good thing they have a League team to support. Better that than Chelsea or Man U. I want them to do well.

Dandyman

In London village.
Dick Knights Mum said:
I know it's footballing heresy - but I do have sympathy for the fans of MK Dons. Milton Keynes is a big place and were it in existence 80-odd years ago would have been invited to join the Football League. But to get a league club it has to start at the bottom of the football pyramid. Well 80 years ago they didn't.

I know the arguments - and I do not like the way it was done - although I would put blame at the feet of Merton and Hamman as much as MK.

I have nephews in MK and I think it is a good thing they have a League team to support. Better that than Chelsea or Man U. I want them to do well.

There is nothing stopping MK having a football team. It's just that they should start in the same place as everyone else and work their way up. Why should they be given an advantage over teams in the Conference or the likes of Eastbourne or Lewes and why should franchising of clubs be allowed ?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Dandyman said:
There is nothing stopping MK having a football team. It's just that they should start in the same place as everyone else and work their way up.

Brighton didn't earn promotion to the Football League.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
MK Dons are getting surprisingly-and disappointingly- decent crowds at home games, often around the 5000-6000 mark, which isn't bad for League One.

However, that away attendance tells me that many of their fans at home games are probably local kids and sports clubs on discounted ticket packages, which the Child Catcher Winkelman is having to dish out to help them attract crowds to their (snigger) 30,000 all seater stadium when it opens.

Hence they're all too busy doing their homework or playing on PS2s to go to away games (or in detention).

I doubt they have the sort of loyal fan base that any other club in the area would have acquired over the years, but are giving people in MK something to do on Saturday afternoons by letting them in for £5 a ticket, or something like that.

Dick Knights Mum said:

They had a team. They were called Milton Keynes City and went bankrupt as a direct result of their sponsor pulling out after franchise moved to mk.

They, the team, are scum. Bizarely enough I actually get on reasonably well with some of their supporters.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why would it be bizarre to get on with their supporters - it would be bizarre not to. Milton Keynes has a large and growing population for which a League team is an important symbol.

As an area it deserves a team more than Merton - who had one and apparently did not care enough for it. Of course the supporters got shafted - same as it ever was.

And Edna - Wimbledon used to get sell-outs - Wimbledon used to massively discount season tickets and give tickets away. As we are - now we have the opportunity - so I shouldnlt be too sniffy about it.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The Ironic thing about the rise and fall of Wimbledon is that Plough Lane still to this day remains a derilict, undeveloped bit of wasteland. That is must what really piss off the true AFC Wimbledon supporter. The club never was the same after they sold that ground.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Superseagull said:
The Ironic thing about the rise and fall of Wimbledon is that Plough Lane still to this day remains a derilict, undeveloped bit of wasteland. That is must what really piss off the true AFC Wimbledon supporter. The club never was the same after they sold that ground.

I totally agree.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not being sniffy about reducing ticket prices at all, more clubs should do it.

Merely stating that the fact a large proportion of their home crowd will be kids groups is probably the reason that they don't have a big away support.

Who knows, if it pays off, in a few years time, when the kids have grown up, they might be hugely well supported home and away.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Brighton didn't earn promotion to the Football League.

It is arguable that the Southern League was the equivalent of the the Football League Division One at that point, so forming Division Three could be considered a relegation of sorts.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Curious Orange said:
It is arguable that the Southern League was the equivalent of the the Football League Division One at that point, so forming Division Three could be considered a relegation of sorts.

Get out of it! Never mind the First Division, even the Football League's Second Division was considerably stronger than the Southern League back in 1920. You only have to look at the FA Cup results from the time for proof of that.

It was considered a minor miracle when Cardiff City earned promotion from the Second Division to the First Division during the club's first season in the Football League, as the Bluebirds had finished only fourth in the Southern League at the end of the previous season.

A measure of the strength of the Football League by comparison to the Southern League back then (and of City's achievement in getting promoted) is the fact that the champions of the inaugural Third Division (South), a certain Crystal Palace, finished only fourteenth in the Second Division in 1921/22. In fact, the Football League was so strong at the time that it took four seasons for another former-Southern League side (Portsmouth) to finish in the top half of the Second Division table, and another two until one (Portsmouth again) was good enough to earn promotion to the First Division.

As it happens, I'm currently writing a book about Cardiff City's exploits during the 1920's. I've accumulated plenty of information and have copies of a number of press reports regarding the club's bids to join the Football League (it made several before being elected in May 1920). All of them mention what a benefit joining the Football League would be, as the standard was so much higher than the Southern League.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Curious Orange said:

What happened was that in 1920 it was agreed that the teams from Div 1 of the Southern League would form Div 3 south so the clubs from the old Southern League moved across lock, stock and barrel. I presume something similar happned oop north for Div 3 North.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Gully said:
Which makes me worried that if they do go out of the league some other team will be franchised so that they can play in that super stadium of theirs, who will be next I wonder?

Haven't the FA (FL?) closed the stable door after the horse has bolted on this one and actually now changed their rules so this can't happen again?

Dandyman

In London village.
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Get out of it! Never mind the First Division, even the Football League's Second Division was considerably stronger than the Southern League back in 1920. B]

Not sure about 1920 but a Southern League side won the FA Cup in 1901.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here