Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MK Dons / Wimbledon

1066gull

I think the issue is deeper than the name of the club.

I really don't give a toss about other clubs.

All I care about is the well being of Brighton & Hove Albion FC and the country supporting its own talent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I really don't give a toss about other clubs.

All I care about is the well being of Brighton & Hove Albion FC and the country supporting its own talent.

Right, but you felt a need to post on the issue.

Unfortunately Brighton won't be able to supply the England team alone so you've contradicted yourself there.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry, I'll never see them as a proper football club.

Forever tarnished.

I'm sure the people of Milton Keynes and especially the 30,000 who celebrated at Wembley today will find a way to get over their crushing sense of disappointment that you feel like that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm sure the people of Milton Keynes and especially the 30,000 who celebrated at Wembley today will find a way to get over their crushing sense of disappointment that you feel like that.

Frankly I don't give a flying f*ck about the fans of Milton Keynes. The few of which I've spoken to who are quite unaware of the history and are just glad that in the style of McDonalds a football league franchise was deposited on their lovely town.

Brighton could well have been in a similiar situation, would you have supported the Milton Keynes Seagulls ?

There was already a non league Milton Keynes team that could have been invested in (the demand is obviously there), but no - much easier to steal the league place of a South London Club.

It stinks, will always stink and I will always view them as an anomoly and will tell MK Dons fans the same.. again.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Frankly I don't give a flying f*ck about the fans of Milton Keynes. The few of which I've spoken to who are quite unaware of the history and are just glad that in the style of McDonalds a football league franchise was deposited on their lovely town.

Brighton could well have been in a similiar situation, would you have supported the Milton Keynes Seagulls ?

There was already a non league Milton Keynes team that could have been invested in (the demand is obviously there), but no - much easier to steal the league place of a South London Club.

It stinks, will always stink and I will always view them as an anomoly and will tell MK Dons fans the same.. again.

They stole someone elses identity amd that is fraudulent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
if they just dropped the 'dons' in their name, they would help themselves and AFC a lot more hassle

Just let them be known as Milton Keynes and move on.

If they dropped the name, and offered to swap places in the pyramid with AFC Wimbledon, THEN we could move on.

They'd still be twats though.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Regardless how we feel about what happened Wınkelman can say he is justified by the fact that MK Dons took 33,000 to Wembley... his whole argument all along was that MK was a great ctrahcment area and offered a furture for a big club.... Plough Lane didn't. The rest, for him, is just background noise.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes

Well I support the Milton Keynes Seagulls! There are some 30 of us in Milton Keynes and we all support the Albion.:clap:

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
In the NFL franchise moves happen on a regular basis.

I can't see everybody over the pond slagging off the 2007 superbowl champs the Indianapolis Colt cos they used to be in Baltimore!

I went to a Cleveland Browns game last season and apart from a guy selling 'f*** baltimore' t-shirts outside (the Ravens used to be the Browns) nobody gave a toss.

So, to sum up, Indy used to be Baltimore, Baltimore used to be Cleveland, Tennessee used to be Houston, Houston and Cleveland are now new franchises, Oakland used to be LA who before that were Oakland, the St. Louis Rams used to be the LA Rams and the Arizona Cardinals used to be the St Louis Cardinals !!

Everyone supports their home town

simple

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How can you feel ANY affinity with them though? It defies any logic.

'Your team' dissappear overnight, then maybe a year later you buy a new club and they come to town.

Sorry, it might work over there, but then so does Billy Ray Cyrus.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I can't see everybody over the pond slagging off the 2007 superbowl champs the Indianapolis Colt cos they used to be in Baltimore!

I went to a Cleveland Browns game last season and apart from a guy selling 'f*** baltimore' t-shirts outside (the Ravens used to be the Browns) nobody gave a toss.

So, to sum up, Indy used to be Baltimore, Baltimore used to be Cleveland, Tennessee used to be Houston, Houston and Cleveland are now new franchises, Oakland used to be LA who before that were Oakland, the St. Louis Rams used to be the LA Rams and the Arizona Cardinals used to be the St Louis Cardinals !!

simple

Franchise moves happen quite a lot in North American sport, in hockey the Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche...I am sure someone else also lost out so Florida could have a team. From time to time the leagues grant new franchises, Toronto and Vancouver gained basketball teams, though I think the latter may have already lost theirs, the same has happened in other sports.

We don't have the same situation in the UK, teams traditionally represent a geographical area, the situation with MK Dons is a rare one. I agree that it would have been better if they had been forced to re-start further down the footballing pyramid...the question is how far do you make them go, AFC Wimbledon and Aldershot both began their new existance in the Ryman league, should they have gone lower because this disadvantaged teams lower down than them...Sunday park team level maybe?

We have seen teams relegated several divisions already for financial irregularity, perhaps the MK Dons case should have been considered in the same vein, I am sure that Scarborough, Boston Utd and Newport County fell foul of that ruling. I think we all agree that the Football League cocked up big time over this one, but as someone who advocates supporting your local team (are you listening Spoony), there is no way that I can criticise someone in Milton Keynes who follows their local team...regardless of how it came to be there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Winkelman was on 5-Live this morning, and Nicky Campbell read a (nicely put) text out to him along the lines of: "Winklelman is a clown. MK Dons killed off a small, vulnerable club and stole their place in the Football League, I will never accept them as a proper club".

Winkelman came out with some utter claptrap in response, and crowned it all with: "all the other major towns in the country came up with League clubs a hundred-odd years ago when the League was first set up. Had Milton Keynes existed then, we would undoubtedly have done the same".
(and if my granny, etc....)

It was then put to him about dropping the "Dons" from their title - which he said will never happen as "its part of our heritage, we have to remember where we are from". You havn't GOT any heritage ffs. Thats why the FA Cup Final memorabilia has been returned to AFC recently, and thats why you've been forced to remove "1988 FA Cup Winners" from your "List of Honours" in the programmes because its got f*** ALL to do with your stinking thieving hybrid club.

And as for the fans - if they had any pride or notion of what MK Dons actually stand for, they'd turn their back on the new club on their doorstep and become Luton / Northampton fans instead, or follow a local non-league club. Jumping on Winkelmans bandwagon is worse than gloryhunting. I so much wanted MK Dons to die a miserable death - the fact that they now won't is sickening, and every one of those fans keeping that club going should be utterly ASHAMED.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

simple

The difference is that Professional Sports hold a very different position in the US to what they do here, its almost accepted for the most part that you watch your team (which may or may not be particularly close proximity to where you live - for example 30 NFL teams covering a country about 50 times the size of the UK) on TV and that it is to a certain extent a business.

As a result there is a certain level of acceptance that teams will move around and that this is a part of the business.

The difference is that these aren't so much the sports clubs that represent the community - these are the High School and College teams, many of which have histories as rich as our football clubs and do not move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here