Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing Lancashire woman

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
If you’re a suggesting a murderer has snuck the body back to a place near where she went missing, I’m no expert but I cannot imagine the area would have been left un-observed by police, to catch anyone trying such a thing.
Precisely what I was alluding to earlier - the crazies will be convinced of theories like this. Oh, and Aliens. The Aliens OBVIOUSLY…

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
In this case, 23 days later isn’t it? That just doesn’t sit right with me. They’ve had all these amateur sleuths (knobs) and a professional dive team + sonar radar and observed nothing. I did say in my earlier post and doing a bit of research it seems highly unlikely a body wouldn’t have floated to the surface within days, unless it was weighed down by a cast iron girder, even snagged bodies tend to come loose with the decomposition.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility she could have been dumped, a depraved local individual with knowledge could easily have held her and then discarded of the body in the river, I think people over estimate police presence in these situations, police resources don’t allow them to patrol every inch of the river
I'm presuming you are not either a search trained diver or expert on Sonar? Most people don't even know how sonar works yet they feel expert enough to comment on whether or not it should have been successful or not in finding a body. Not sure why you would mention Radar as that is primarily for things flying through the air. Even the best professionally trained diver could miss a body just inches away in cold murky water with zero visibility, particularly if it had sunk and lodged in an overgrown area on an outer bend. If she went in voluntarily and under the influence (a possibility) Its likely she went in the water and succumbed to the cold fairly swiftly, the body would sink fairly soon thereafter and could easily have floated downstream a mile and then come to rest in the location it was found, nothing remotely unusual about that at all.

It is a patently ridiculous suggestion that someone managed to kidnap her and somehow transport her away from the river without being seen and then keep her hidden fairly nearby for several days, after all that they kill her and then decide to take a breathtakingly monumental stupid risk in returning to the exact same river she was last seen near and evade all the police, search teams and internet nobbers to somehow deposit her body in the river?? Really? REALLY? Are you on drugs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm presuming you are not either a search trained diver or expert on Sonar?

Even the best professionally trained diver could miss a body just inches away in cold murky water with zero visibility, particularly if it had sunk and lodged in an overgrown area on an outer bend.
You make these statements but that expert guy, who is a trained diver and expert on sonar apparently, said if the body is in the water, he will find it i.e. he would not have missed a body given the scenario you suggest. He was absolutely clear on this.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You make these statements but that expert guy, who is a trained diver and expert on sonar apparently, said if the body is in the water, he will find it i.e. he would not have missed a body given the scenario you suggest. He was absolutely clear on this.
To be fair, I know someone who paid for a guy who said he knew how to install a water feature in their garden. He didn’t.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In this case, 23 days later isn’t it? That just doesn’t sit right with me. They’ve had all these amateur sleuths (knobs) and a professional dive team + sonar radar and observed nothing. I did say in my earlier post and doing a bit of research it seems highly unlikely a body wouldn’t have floated to the surface within days, unless it was weighed down by a cast iron girder, even snagged bodies tend to come loose with the decomposition.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility she could have been dumped, a depraved local individual with knowledge could easily have held her and then discarded of the body in the river, I think people over estimate police presence in these situations, police resources don’t allow them to patrol every inch of the river.
Won’t be much decomposition in February with water temps 6-7 degrees.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty sure personally her body wasn’t in any part of the river they surveyed at the time they surveyed it. Sonar devices are incredibly accurate now and it would have been obvious, particularly in a shallow river. The devices on the charter boats I fish on (less sophisticated than those used by SGI) pick up individual fish of less than 2ft long in 300ft of water.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty sure personally her body wasn’t in any part of the river they surveyed at the time they surveyed it. Sonar devices are incredibly accurate now and it would have been obvious, particularly in a shallow river. The devices on the charter boats I fish on (less sophisticated than those used by SGI) pick up individual fish of less than 2ft long in 300ft of water.
Izaak Walton would turn in his grave. Cheat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Izaak Walton would turn in his grave. Cheat.
He absolutely would. We recovered an electronic fishfinding device from a tree on one of our lakes (in Bedelands) recently….it’s 3ft deep and about an acre. If you need a £500 device to find fish in that place you need to find a different hobby :lolol:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So a person fell in the river, died and it took time to find her body. It’s very sad. The end.
It’s scary how many people can’t accept this, no doubt fuelled by watching some true crime docos on Netflix.
I fear the interference seen in this case is just the beginning.
The era of the Poundshop Poirots. Thick people who can’t tell the difference between a real time police investigation and a dramatised version on telly.
God help us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair point.

My point was about @The Fifth Column stating that a body in “cold murky water with zero visibility, particularly if it had sunk and lodged in an overgrow bend” could be overlooked. The expert guy stated this is not the case, and you support this up.

I can only assume the expert didn’t check the area where the body was, or it wasn’t there at the time he did check it, or his bold claims are just bold claims.

I’m now venturing into Pound Shop Poirot territory so I’ll stop right here.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My point was about @The Fifth Column stating that a body in “cold murky water with zero visibility, particularly if it had sunk and lodged in an overgrow bend” could be overlooked. The expert guy stated this is not the case, and you back this up.

I can only assume the expert didn’t check the area where the body was, or it wasn’t there at the time he did check it, or his bold claims are just bold claims.
He said a diver could miss it, which whilst technically correct is highly unlikely, as they basically do fine-tooth, planned and segmented area searches the same as forensics do on land. The sonar isn’t impacted by visibility or temperature. I really don’t think the body was in the stretch of water they searched at the time although the caveat here of course is things in rivers do move (albeit very slowly in this particular case). A pal was one of the SGI divers.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but would/could sonar have missed the body if it was at the bottom, perhaps partially covered in silt?
Sonar may find a 2 foot fish in 300 feet of water, but does it find them if they are hiding motionless on the bottom of a 10 foot river?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So a person fell in the river, died and it took time to find her body. It’s very sad. The end.
It’s scary how many people can’t accept this, no doubt fuelled by watching some true crime docos on Netflix.
The era of the Poundshop Poirots. Thick people who can’t tell the difference between a real time police investigation and a dramatised version on telly.
God help us.
Would hate to think some posters said this all along on this very thread… 😬 Was clear the most obvious thing was the river. Some sort of fall medical issue or something else. But it always seemed the obvious and dull answer was ignored by so many on the internet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
God help us.
Agreed. But they won’t bother for other creeds or non-lookers.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My mate who live in Lancashire recons he saw a knackered rattling space craft a bit like the MIllenium Falcon yesterday. He said it was shitehouse
Blackpool is a good night out in fairness. How’s his head today though?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but would/could sonar have missed the body if it was at the bottom, perhaps partially covered in silt?
Sonar may find a 2 foot fish in 300 feet of water, but does it find them if they are hiding motionless on the bottom of a 10 foot river?
The most sophisticated are not far off what you see in a dashcam…….very clear outlines of the sea/riverbed. It would be pretty obvious.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I believe sonar guy, amongst his bold claims and bravado, did quietly conceded that if the body was in a reeded area then it could be problematic to detect. There are a lot of reeds on that stretch.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In answer to 'why is this mystery causing so much publicity, well-
Initially poor Nicola vanished into thin air. There is no way of leaving the area without being seen. 100% she must have gone into the water.
The river was checked by police and we have to presume they would have done a very good job but we are unsure how far they searched.
Meanwhile 100's of amateur sleuths are also combing the area, including visual checks of the river and private buildings.
A pro search team take to the river claiming 'if Nicola is there, we will find her'. They didn't but we are again unaware of the distance searched.
Meanwhile it would be obvious to the sleuths that just maybe Nicola could have floated up/downstream. You can guarantee that river was searched visually (and I bet some went in) for many miles up/down from the point she disappeared.
So basically, she disappeared on the 27th Jan and was found on the 19th of Feb, 1 mile down the river.
and no one saw her in all that time.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I believe sonar guy, amongst his bold claims and bravado, did quietly conceded that if the body was in a reeded area then it could be problematic to detect. There are a lot of reeds on that stretch.
When did he say that ? Feb is just about the lowest point in the year for river vegetation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here