Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
pied pipers? MSM?

A translation into English please?

It means you shouldn't beleive what the Main Stream media tells you but you should believe a series of photographs with some uncited and unreferenced information next to them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
there were so many can't think why he got banged up can you ??? ANYWAY YOU EITHER LOVE HIM OR QUESTION HIM DON'T YOU
regards
DR

You seem to accept it whenever any state official labels somebody as a terrorist. Assad is doing this at the moment. I implied on an earlier post that certain racists are hiding behind labelling Mandela as a terrorist. Your pathetic attempt at irony merely exposes you to others on this site.

Jan 30, 2008
Is this still going ? It is incredible some people felt so threatened to a 1 minute, 30 seconds as it was show of affection to one of the, if not the greatest Man of the 20th/21st Century.

nobody's given a creditable reason as to why AN ENGLISH FOOTBALL MATCH SHOULD BE USED TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR A POLITICIAN FROM SOUTH AFRICA :shrug:
regards
DR

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It means you shouldn't beleive what the Main Stream media tells you but you should believe a series of photographs with some uncited and unreferenced information next to them.

Ta - 'the usual bollocks from Hybrid-gets-no-sex' would have sufficed but thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
You seem to accept it whenever any state official labels somebody as a terrorist. Assad is doing this at the moment. I implied on an earlier post that certain racists are hiding behind labelling Mandela as a terrorist. Your pathetic attempt at irony merely exposes you to others on this site.
you're entitled to your opinion, but history don't lie, THERE'S NOTHING RACIST IN POINTING THAT OUT, people falling over themselves to be seen doing the right thing in my eyes AS I KEEP SAYING NOTHING TO DO WITH A SPORTING OCCASION
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
An out and out lie. The sabotage campaign, itself a reaction to state terror, was aimed at objects not people. I don't expect racist mongs to display much intelligence but at least try and do some homework.
tart it up all you want , i wouldn't expect anything less from you
regards
DR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
you're entitled to your opinion, but history don't lie, THERE'S NOTHING RACIST IN POINTING THAT OUT, people falling over themselves to be seen doing the right thing in my eyes AS I KEEP SAYING NOTHING TO DO WITH A SPORTING OCCASION
regards
DR

I agree with DR. It was bad enough being asked to join in a minute's applause for some random Sussex FA suit that nobody ever heard of on Tuesday. Did join in, seriously-half-heartedly, out of respect for his family being there. Resented every second of it, for being coerced into that position. IMHO a minute's silence should be the norm. Then you can use that minute usefully to think about anything you damn well please. Or to think about nothing at all. I've hated minute applauses ever since that Withdean one for Alan ****ing Ball. Have a minute's silence for officially-sanctioned world events if you must, but don't ask us to actively applaud the damn thing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
regards
DR

You're right - recognition of the life of Nelson Mandela has nothing to do with an English sporting occasion but it has everything to do with giving a large gathering of people the opportunity to publicly acknowledge his achievements. In the same way that congregations in churches, crowds at the Ashes and children in schools were given that same chance.

What you appear to be suggesting is that those attending matches or any other gathering should not have been given that opportunity - if that is what you are suggesting then perhaps you can explain why the FA should not have afforded them that chance.

In other words it really isn't a matter of asking why people should have been given the chance to applaud the life of Nelson Mandela, (if they wanted to), but rather why the FA should have denied them this moment.

Dandyman

In London village.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're right - recognition of the life of Nelson Mandela has nothing to do with an English sporting occasion but it has everything to do with giving a large gathering of people the opportunity to publicly acknowledge his achievements. In the same way that congregations in churches, crowds at the Ashes and children in schools were given that same chance.

What you appear to be suggesting is that those attending matches or any other gathering should not have been given that opportunity - if that is what you are suggesting then perhaps you can explain why the FA should not have afforded them that chance.

In other words it really isn't a matter of asking why people should have been given the chance to applaud the life of Nelson Mandela, (if they wanted to), but rather why the FA should have denied them this moment.

Creaky knows his stuff, and says it well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

People who want to applaud are welcome to do so at a place and time of their choosing, why do they need the FA or Football League to tell them when it is appropriate to do so?

I haven't seen any racist comments on here, just people who don't need to be SEEN to care like so many others on here seem to do so.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
People are very threatened by a minute spent recognising the achievements of a man who stood for equality in the face of a regime that would not bend even to the will of the power of western governments. Freedom is something any community should value.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
People who want to applaud are welcome to do so at a place and time of their choosing, why do they need the FA or Football League to tell them when it is appropriate to do so?

I haven't seen any racist comments on here, just people who don't need to be SEEN to care like so many others on here seem to do so.
]

Nobody TOLD anyone to applaud - they simply gave everyone attending a match the opportunity to do so to demonstrate publicly their admiration for a great man.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
there were so many can't think why he got banged up can you ??? ANYWAY YOU EITHER LOVE HIM OR QUESTION HIM DON'T YOU
regards
DR

Many? He must have been the Robben Island champion fecking escaper over a number of years.
He was jailed, with other members of the ANC leadership for trying to overthrow the state. Not a terrorist act, and jailed in 1962. AFTER the ANC's FIFTY YEARS of peaceful protest,

Plus, he WASNT the leader of the ANC. Oliver Tambo was. Feel free to list his acts of terrorism, you turnip.

If you dont understand the connection between the South Africas first black president, and Britains role in SA history, your school didnt do you any favours.

I personally dont believe these things should take place at sporting events. That doesnt mean to say, i dont consider you a turnip.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I agree with DR. It was bad enough being asked to join in a minute's applause for some random Sussex FA suit that nobody ever heard of on Tuesday. Did join in, seriously-half-heartedly, out of respect for his family being there. Resented every second of it, for being coerced into that position. IMHO a minute's silence should be the norm. Then you can use that minute usefully to think about anything you damn well please. Or to think about nothing at all. I've hated minute applauses ever since that Withdean one for Alan ****ing Ball. Have a minute's silence for officially-sanctioned world events if you must, but don't ask us to actively applaud the damn thing.

Did you not applaud at Withdean when the club marked Steve Irwin's death in 2006?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
]

Nobody TOLD anyone to applaud - they simply gave everyone attending a match the opportunity to do so to demonstrate publicly their admiration for a great man.

Wow! Thanks to the Football League for that then, and thanks to you for your pearl of wisdom. :thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
People are very threatened by a minute spent recognising the achievements of a man who stood for equality in the face of a regime that would not bend even to the will of the power of western governments. Freedom is something any community should value.

freedom is something we should value indeed. thats the whole point. a football governing body decided it would like all its crowds to perform a display. yes you can technically opt out, and yes everyone can say how he was a great man and they dont mind giving up a minute, to show what nice blokes they are, but fundamentally this is the opposite of being 'free'.

pointing this out doesnt mean you dig apartheid or are a closet racist. i feel the same about thatchers funeral hysteria, Diana, or remembrance. sewing poppies onto teams shirts snookers people and is based on unilateral decisions, enforcing commemoration onto people in a bid to gain the consensus you desire. i was bought up to believe mourning is very personal, and am very uncomfortable with any public displays. and this was a display. dismissing this as you understandably believe he was a great man, and therefore there is no reason to question the wisdom of a mass tribute, is very silly.

its scary how people are missing the point massively on this. reminds me of the life of brian sketch where all his followers are shouting this is a sign we should follow his shoe. no surprise as this is turning into a quasi religious event for the secular world, very unthinking.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
freedom is something we should value indeed. thats the whole point. a football governing body decided it would like all its crowds to perform a display. yes you can technically opt out, and yes everyone can say how he was a great man and they dont mind giving up a minute, to show what nice blokes they are, but fundamentally this is the opposite of being 'free'.

pointing this out doesnt mean you dig apartheid or are a closet racist. i feel the same about thatchers funeral hysteria, Diana, or remembrance. sewing poppies onto teams shirts snookers people and is based on unilateral decisions, enforcing commemoration onto people in a bid to gain the consensus you desire. i was bought up to believe mourning is very personal, and am very uncomfortable with any public displays. and this was a display. dismissing this as you understandably believe he was a great man, and therefore there is no reason to question the wisdom of a mass tribute, is very silly.

its scary how people are missing the point massively on this. reminds me of the life of brian sketch where all his followers are shouting this is a sign we should follow his shoe. no surprise as this is turning into a quasi religious event for the secular world, very unthinking.

Do you think it is appropriate to have a minutes applause at the football to commemorate anyone's death?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Oh stop being so obtuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here