Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute silence or minute applause?

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
I agree with a lot of what's been said above. A minute silence is a lot more respectful and moving, but a minutes aplause has the same effect and drowns out the idiots. I imagine this has been brought up on here already but this is where a minutes applause would have been useful in retrospect, because some idiots just aren't capable of respect.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There are reasons for and against the applause:

The silence if observed is far more moving, but say for some reason you do not agree with the reason for the silence then you can't exactly not join in unless you start shouting, with a minutes applause you can choose not to clap.

Struggling to think of an occasion when I've felt the minutes silence was not appropriate, and I felt I didn't want to join in.

Do you have an example?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I agree with a lot of what's been said above. A minute silence is a lot more respectful and moving, but a minutes aplause has the same effect and drowns out the idiots. I imagine this has been brought up on here already but this is where a minutes applause would have been useful in retrospect, because some idiots just aren't capable of respect.

I don't like the way we are constantly looking to adjust our actions because of the lowest common demoniator in society.

If there are idiots who do this - and yes there are - then the rest of us should continue paying our respects, and work to weed out those who are disrespectful.

Should we do away with epitaphs because some people graffiti them, or get caught urinating them? No, we keep them and prosecute the numbskulls.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
I don't like the way we are constantly looking to adjust our actions because of the lowest common demoniator in society.

If there are idiots who do this - and yes there are - then the rest of us should continue paying our respects, and work to weed out those who are disrespectful.

Should we do away with epitaphs because some people graffiti them, or get caught urinating them? No, we keep them and prosecute the numbskulls.
Absolutely agree with you. It' dealing with them that is the problem. If serious punishments were dished out to people were are complete knobs then there's nothing to lose. I wasn't suggesting (or at least I was trying not to) that we just change rules or circumstances so that idiots can prosper as they always have. That's very wrong. But something would have to be done otherwise they get the spotlight that they want.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Absolutely agree with you. It' dealing with them that is the problem. If serious punishments were dished out to people were are complete knobs then there's nothing to lose. I wasn't suggesting (or at least I was trying not to) that we just change rules or circumstances so that idiots can prosper as they always have. That's very wrong. But something would have to be done otherwise they get the spotlight that they want.

It'll be interesting to see what punishments get dished out to these Chelsea idiots. It's one of the more sensitive events for which we have a minutes silence, so books could be thrown at them, but in the eyes of the law this will set a precedent. Fail to pay respects to a minutes silence, and you'd face the prospect of getting what these idiots get.

Not sure the idiots prosper by the change from applause to clapping, by we are masking them, and in my view offering up something less powerful out of fear that some people can't behave in a decent way. That's letting the tail wag the dog, IMHO.

Struggling to think of an occasion when I've felt the minutes silence was not appropriate, and I felt I didn't want to join in.

Do you have an example?

Strangely enough, if I could be arsed to do a search you'd find it on here. Couple of years ago now someone high up in the FA or something popped off and there was talk of a minutes silence, someone posted that it would be better if it was a minutes applause so they would not have to join in as they had zero respect for the guy.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Strangely enough, if I could be arsed to do a search you'd find it on here. Couple of years ago now someone high up in the FA or something popped off and there was talk of a minutes silence, someone posted that it would be better if it was a minutes applause so they would not have to join in as they had zero respect for the guy.

And that "someone" needs accomodating do they? Meh, we can't keep changing the rules to accomodate idiots. #hopesitwasn'tmewhoposteditinareallybadmood :facepalm:

How about YOU, who wouldn't you want to have to observe a minutes silence for? Personally, it would be the sort of person who would NEVER get a minutes silence in the first place. Until the day we hear something like "Fred West was a lifelong Brighton fan, ........ " then I can't see myself thinking I don't want to respect the silence being requested.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I did notice on Tuesday that some people around me carried on chatting which I thought was pretty disrespectful. Was good to see the Watford fans join in and show respect, credit to them. To me observing a silence is the right way but maybe that's because it's what I've been used to for years.

This. It looked like not one pair of hands were not clapping in that stadium on Tuesday.

Applause for a loss of life around the football club is appropriate - showing appreciation for their contribution to football and the club but for Bradford, Hillsborough etc. it has to be silence, a chance to reflect on those tragic tragic events.

And that "someone" needs accomodating do they? Meh, we can't keep changing the rules to accomodate idiots. #hopesitwasn'tmewhoposteditinareallybadmood :facepalm:

How about YOU, who wouldn't you want to have to observe a minutes silence for? Personally, it would be the sort of person who would NEVER get a minutes silence in the first place. Until the day we hear something like "Fred West was a lifelong Brighton fan, ........ " then I can't see myself thinking I don't want to respect the silence being requested.

Where the f*** did I put ME? I merely pointed out that not everyone has the same levels of respect for others as I or you do.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
A minute's silence is far more respectful. It's a shame that clapping has replaced silence, all because of the risk of some looney jeering from the stands.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Where the f*** did I put ME? I merely pointed out that not everyone has the same levels of respect for others as I or you do.

Calm down, calm down! Didn't say you did, I was merely asking a question. Can you think of an example where YOU would object to someone having a minutes silence, and felt you didn't have an acceptable route out of it, as opposed to not clapping during a minutes applause. the only examples I can think of for me, would surely NEVER get a minutes silence in the first place.

Question, that's all, not firing any accusations, far from it. I'm expecting you to be like me, and struggle to think of any that would be even close.

Calm down, calm down! Didn't say you did, I was merely asking a question. Can you think of an example where YOU would object to someone having a minutes silence, and felt you didn't have an acceptable route out of it, as opposed to not clapping during a minutes applause. the only examples I can think of for me, would surely NEVER get a minutes silence in the first place.

Question, that's all, not firing any accusations, far from it. I'm expecting you to be like me, and struggle to think of any that would be even close.

Not off the top of my head no.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There are reasons for and against the applause:

The silence if observed is far more moving, but say for some reason you do not agree with the reason for the silence then you can't exactly not join in unless you start shouting, with a minutes applause you can choose not to clap.
When we had a minute silence for the POPE at Withdean I just stayed sat down and read the programme. So you can kind of not join in without disrupting it.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Both are good, I think it depends on the person and the situation though...

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

That is disgraceful. No class.

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
I think a silence is far more meaningful - as its about reflection and just the awe of a stadium of silence - its amazing to see.

Im not sure the few shouting fans is a good enough reason to move to clapping. Weve always had a few people who ruin things, but those taking part in a silence can carry on as they are by far the majority. I think even with the odd shout, a silence is more emotional.

Therfore Id keep silences for tragedys ie Hillsborough.

Respect paying at the beginning of games is becoming more common so to keep sad news such remembering a person whos now gone as an applause as a final thank you. And silences for the more severe moments to keep them poignant.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A minute's silence is far more respectful. It's a shame that clapping has replaced silence, all because of the risk of some looney jeering from the stands.
I agree. The thing with a minute's silence is that EVERYONE has to observe it and it is really poignant. A minute's applause on the other hand means nothing as people can choose to clap or not, and there's absolutely no difference between remembering someone's life and clapping a player when he's substituted.

There were however far too many, and part of me (and I stress part of me) thinks it was a bit OTT to have yet another minute's silence for Hillsborough at Wembley the other week.

The minute's applause is a cop out, but it is useful as it can be used to remember people that, in all honesty, nobody apart from their friends and family really gives a toss about and thus people not clapping aren't noticed. A minute's silence is too risky in those situations as it can be badly disrespected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here