Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute silence or minute applause?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think it depends on the circumstances of the person's/peoples death. Last night a minute applause was correct but say if we did it for Hillsborough I would say a minute silence would be better.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
A minutes silence is always more poignant, particularly in a football ground because it's never normally that quiet so it seems more special. Having said that the applause last night was very moving and it means you can't notice the c**** that shout all the way through a silence . . .

There are reasons for and against the applause:

The silence if observed is far more moving, but say for some reason you do not agree with the reason for the silence then you can't exactly not join in unless you start shouting, with a minutes applause you can choose not to clap.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I think it depends on the circumstances of the person's/peoples death. Last night a minute applause was correct but say if we did it for Hillsborough I would say a minute silence would be better.

This. All depends on the circumstance but like said before, always a twat in the minute silence.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I like the minute's applause as it allows you show your appreciation for the deceased as well as respect.

D

Deleted member 18477

Minutes silence is a lot more thoughtful and moving.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry to say this but the minutes applause has only been introduced because people know you can't get a group of people together and for them all to show respect.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sorry to say this but the minutes applause has only been introduced because people know you can't get a group of people together and for them all to show respect.

This. Which I find very sad. Silence is far more respectful in my opinion.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I like the silence, unusual to hear 20,000 odd football fans in a stadium not saying a thing, then when the minute is up BOOM the roar is back.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I did notice on Tuesday that some people around me carried on chatting which I thought was pretty disrespectful. Was good to see the Watford fans join in and show respect, credit to them. To me observing a silence is the right way but maybe that's because it's what I've been used to for years.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Its always for when someone has died, so always important.

I agree , just seems a little too much now , half the crowd may never of known them on some occasions , if you have the silence/clap for everyone who has worked for the club in the past or presently and all the players who pass away , then in the future we may have to put kick-offs to 1 minute past the kick off time every game . May be certain people who have worked or played most of there life for the club then yes and on certain occasions . It's better to have an announcement at half time or before the game and a page or two in the programme , like we used to have and still do for the fans who have spent their life supporting the clubs . Just my opinion , i do not want to be disrespectfull to anyone , it's always sad when someone passes away.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Being instructed to emote en masse always risks becoming a somewhat artificial experience. Especially when, for the majority of the crowd, there's no natural connection (beyond our common humanity) to the person concerned. These things are best enacted as a rarity rather than the norm.

The most moving example in recent times was the Withdean tribute to Glen Wilson – long serving player, captain, coach kit man, and all-round club stalwart, who gave several decades of his life to the Albion. In his case, a minute' s tribute was entirely appropriate, and natural. He would probably have preferred silence, but warm applause would equally appreciate a long footballing life well lived.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Which do you prefer at a football match to remember someone who has passed away?

Can I just say that the minute's applause on Tuesday night was very emotional.

but on a purely personal basis, clapping continuously for a minute is a bit tiring - I never knew a minute could feel that LONG (especially after climbing the stairs to west stand upper and partaking of apie and pint!)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would always say that if you are remembering someone who you would have previously applauded (i.e they entertained you), then a minutes applause is correct. Its kind of like a final thank you.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to anyone, but I mean people who have done work for the club, ex/current players, ex-managers etc etc.

For a tragedy I would always say a poignant silence.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I thought the minutes applause on Tuesday was right. All the Watford supporters seemed to be joining in too.
We had a minutes silence earlier in the season didn't we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here