Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minor injuries

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not a wind up thread or anything, but why is it pro players, earning shit loads of money, get the slightest little problem and are not featured in a game? In non league football people play all season on minor tweaks without complaint, and I know SCFL Div 1 teams play as many games as Brighton do. Isn't it about time to tell these overpaid puffs to get off their arses and earn their wage?

Just thinking like, no prejudice.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Not a wind up thread or anything, but why is it pro players, earning shit loads of money, get the slightest little problem and are not featured in a game? In non league football people play all season on minor tweaks without complaint, and I know SCFL Div 1 teams play as many games as Brighton do. Isn't it about time to tell these overpaid puffs to get off their arses and earn their wage?

Just thinking like, no prejudice.
Non league players are not anywhere near the fitness level of a pro player, so can play with minor tweaks as they are never going to test their bodies to the limit. Pro push their bodies tot he limit every week (well some do) so if any part of the body is injured, then they cannot perform to the top level (or something like that)

It could also be some are complete piss taking tarts.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But do you think they take it to extremes sometimes? I have no idea I have never been involved in a pro set up ... he felt a twinge in his right butt cheek so we are monitoring it and he is out this week, you know what I mean?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed I would imagine this is that case. I would also assume the higher you go the more squad depth you have as well, so why risk a slight tweak with a player when you can replace them with someone just as good without a tweak?

Can we seriously replace Vicente?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's all about fitness,the higher up you go,even players that have played at League 1 & Championship level,yet these same players could have gone on to play in the top flight did not due to fitness or have throughout their career carried an injury that has prevented them doing so at the medical stage.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well no! But he is rather an exception in our squad.
Also, maybe I just notice it more and so may be wrong, but fast nimble attacking players seem to be left out due to niggles more than solid slower defensive players. So maybe, if that is actually the case, small injuries affect attacking players more than defensive ones? Or maybe they are more likely to be "piss taking tarts" haha!

I think you're probably right and maybe I just get seriously pissed off with someone picking up a pay check in the region of 10K a week cos he's had a fly hit him on the head. I guess this is the sign of the times as we hit the peak of the prem ... just irritates me I guess.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But do you think they take it to extremes sometimes? I have no idea I have never been involved in a pro set up ... he felt a twinge in his right butt cheek so we are monitoring it and he is out this week, you know what I mean?

I do and it has amazed me who has carried out medicals here at the Albion in the past-even now to some degree,yet its a sign of the times a little,i mean players are treated better than they treat their very own cars,and for some that is saying something.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember the days (old bastard alert) when footballers playing lives were curtailed by serious cartilage problems, Tommy Smith being the biggest advocate and ending up in a wheelchair, now it is all about hamstrings and metatarsals, I can't remember these injuries in the 70's?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I remember the days (old bastard alert) when footballers playing lives were curtailed by serious cartilage problems, Tommy Smith being the biggest advocate and ending up in a wheelchair, now it is all about hamstrings and metatarsals, I can't remember these injuries in the 70's?

Medical advances/oxygen tanks have seen injury recovery times speed up,but allowing for this perhaps players don't want to take a chance on something that could cause an end directly or indirectly to their extravagance rich lifestyles? clutching at straws for a reason here i am i know but perhaps having it easy and needing to spend money is all some players look for.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Medical advances/oxygen tanks have seen injury recovery times speed up,but allowing for this perhaps players don't want to take a chance on something that could cause an end directly or indirectly to their extravagance rich lifestyles? clutching at straws for a reason here i am i know but perhaps having it easy and needing to spend money is all some players look for.

I'd love to be say 25 and a pro footy player, out for a year and picking up say a quarter million pounds for doing f*** all. I have never known an industry like it where a lollipop thrown in the direction of your thigh gives you two weeks off.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd love to be say 25 and a pro footy player, out for a year and picking up say a quarter million pounds for doing f*** all. I have never known an industry like it where a lollipop thrown in the direction of your thigh gives you two weeks off.

me too ,by the way are you talking about players in general or a specific Brighton player? if so who threw the lollipop :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In general, but a specific god like creature that I would have his baby's at the Amex! Not at the Amex but he plays his home games there. I think, did he just get a ducks feather in the leg... another 53 weeks out... I am to cynical.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In general, but a specific god like creature that I would have his baby's at the Amex! Not at the Amex but he plays his home games there. I think, did he just get a ducks feather in the leg... another 53 weeks out... I am to cynical.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Athletes in other sports seem to have similar problems, I don't think that it's football specific. Maybe niggles can turn into something serious with the amount of effort required to compete in a physical sport at the highest level? So give the niggle a week or so or risk someone being injured for months. This is just a guess with no medical knowledge btw.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think you overlook that often (usually?) its the club taking the decision, the coaching staff or medical team deem that a player isnt fit enough or sharp enough to play. dont want to play a player that might not be completely commited while they mindful of a small injury. pragmatically, they are protecting their investments from further injury too. we see all too often how a player 90% fit forced through a handfull of games then becomes a "sicknote" constantly in and out of the side, because an injury never cleared properly or caused other injuries.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the other hand, Bruno played yesterday with just a dressing over his head wound, which contained 4 staples. I saw a Hull player deliberately bring his arm down on top of it, which was missed by the referee of course. I bet that made his eyes water.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
LondonBlue, telling it how it is :clap:

If these pampered players went on to £70 a week sick pay, it would be amazing to see the recovery rates!

I think some would never recover from that..

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
There's a few moans at the players here, isn't the decision with the medical team and manager?

I would suspect people are not risked more at this time of the season, compared to near the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here