Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mini Ipod

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yes it will to charge you can get an adapter for the plug to make it compatible for the uk. also the mini ipod can charge via the firewire cable.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
pishhead said:
Yes it will to charge you can get an adapter for the plug to make it compatible for the uk. also the mini ipod can charge via the firewire cable.

I've read various reviews on all things iPod and the sound is supposed to be abit cack, its all looks but no substance. Been reading alot of comparisons to the HD-500 Xclef (which I have) and the same sound crapness somes up again except the iPod wins for small size and its looks. No that I care what it looks like but the size helps alot, but the main thing is the sound, if thats shit then I aint getting one, really need to try it before I buy it!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
CrabtreeBHA said:
I've read various reviews on all things iPod and the sound is supposed to be abit cack, its all looks but no substance. Been reading alot of comparisons to the HD-500 Xclef (which I have) and the same sound crapness somes up again except the iPod wins for small size and its looks. No that I care what it looks like but the size helps alot, but the main thing is the sound, if thats shit then I aint getting one, really need to try it before I buy it!

"Shit" because...

a) The supplied earphones aren't great (they never are).

b) The volume is limited on European models due to an EU directive (there's a software hack).

c) iTunes rips at 160Kbs AACs by default - you might find ripping at 192kbps makes a bit of difference.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
"Shit" because...

a) The supplied earphones aren't great (they never are).

b) The volume is limited on European models due to an EU directive (there's a software hack).

c) iTunes rips at 160Kbs AACs by default - you might find ripping at 192kbps makes a bit of difference.

Yeah heard the phones are shit and also the volume limiter (did'nt know about the hack though...cool). As for iTunes i've also read that its shit too, my MP3 acts like another harddrive so its simple Drag N Drop stuff but again will have to see for myself what its like. As for ripping at 192, well I use 128 as it keeps the files to a respectable size and I got so many id fill a 20gig iPod by the end of this year probably! But seeing as i've been ripping at 128 for the past 3-4 years I dont really wanna go back through and re-rip them all!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
CrabtreeBHA said:
my MP3 acts like another harddrive so its simple Drag N Drop stuff

I'm not a massive iTunes fan but you can turn off all the auto features and drag and drop with that too.

But seeing as i've been ripping at 128 for the past 3-4 years I dont really wanna go back through and re-rip them all!

And you're questioning sound quality!?!? :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Wozza said:
I'm not a massive iTunes fan but you can turn off all the auto features and drag and drop with that too.

And you're questioning sound quality!?!? :lolol:

lol yeah well 128 is CD quality and when I first got into MP3's that was the best ripping quality you could get :lolol:
Most stuff I download now is at 192 so I suppose new stuff I burn should be the same!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Crabbers are you going to the game tomorrow? If you are I'll have mine on me if you want to have a look/try out.

Mines an american bought one and the sound is fine. I don't rip in itunes generally for the reaosn that the quality level isn't great but playing mp3s at the appropriate quality is fine.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right my question now about ipods

i heard stuff about batteries , them being specific made ones and running out after 8 weeks use and costing £40 to get a new one

any truth in this rumour?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
not heard anytihng about that braders.

Its a long life lithium battery so should last for a fair while.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
nah Tinx i'm not, short of cash :( thanks anyway

yeah 128 is abit quiet but the sound quality on the HD-500 Xclef is bloody good for it. Trouble is its too big and bulky to take down the pub on a friday night hence the desire for a mini iPod!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
braders7 said:
right my question now about ipods

i heard stuff about batteries , them being specific made ones and running out after 8 weeks use and costing £40 to get a new one

any truth in this rumour?

i think a charger comes in the box braders so i wouldnt worry about that... :jester:

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
20gb ipod or wait for mini iPod.... I know enough about each but still not sure what to do.... quick answers people?:wave:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
are they still heavy? Can you record on to them with a MIC?

I was thinking of upgrading to the latest Muvo (512mb TX)

But if they can record and they're lighter I may investigate

Oh and a minimum of 192, definitely.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
depends how much music you got, under 2 gig get the 4gig mini iPod, over 3gig get a 20gig as you'll soon fill up the mini

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

dont currently sell iPods but will the mini's, have tons of other MP3 players with full specs/dimensions/weights etc etc etc etc and great customer service and cheap aswell!

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Raphael Meade said:
i think a charger comes in the box braders so i wouldnt worry about that... :jester:
:dunce: forgot about that, got told you had to buy one

right next time i have money i'll buy one

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
braders7, you're getting your iPod scare stories muddled up.

True: the batteries only last for 8hrs (max) when fully charged, which is a bit shit.

False: the batteries die after a year and are not replaceable by users.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here