Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When I was living in Jersey in the early 90s I came home for the weekend. Couldn’t get a direct flight back and had to go via Guernsey. Sitting at the departure gate reading the News of the World a guy comes up behind me and asks if he could have a look. Turned round it was Alex Higgins - and he was on the front page!

I showed him the paper and he said “Oh don’t worry, I know what it’ll say about me” and walked off.

On the flight he was great, chatted to people and walked up and down the plane giving out bags of sweets. Turns out he was off to Ollie Reed’s for a break.

Also once got on a flight to Barcelona with Gary Lineker. He was an arrogant cock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Richard Hawley (the actor, not the musician), who plays Johnny Conner the current landlord of the Rovers Return in Coronation Street is my next door neighbour. Lovely bloke.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Oh and Margot Robbie waved at me at a Rangers game at Madison Square Garden.

It was on the other side of the rink but it was definitely me she was looking at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I remember when I was part of a Local Residents Committee where I lived in London when the Tate Modern opened and the Queen came to a Pre Opening Reception. They asked all the Residents Committee if the wanted to line up and shake hands with the Queen.

I said " No yer alight. I am fine where I am "

Why leave a " Free Bar " was my thinking

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Quite a lot of musicians. Nearly all nice people. Artists generally are, its not a competitive ****ish thing.

Loads of drivers, some of them have awful attitude problem/over inflated opinions, Derek Bell and Jackie Oliver are jugglers of the highest order. Matt Neal was a good guy and Darren Turner is a top bloke. JYS was nice, ( I was driving one of his old cars) Gerry MArshall was an absolute hoot. As was Stirling MOss. Tom K, dull, possibly caught him at a bad time.

Went on the piss with Denis Lillee in Chennai. I thought I was thirsty!

Think we may have moved in the same circles at one point: Stirling was great company and his wife Susie was even better. Also worked with Peter Gethin who had a legendary black book full of 70s F1 legend. All the drivers thought they were “lads” but those in Gethin’s book were the ones that really played hard (and often died young).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I met the late Peaches Geldof at a party in my youth. I also met the Queen when was 10. That’s about the closest to the elite as I’ve gotten.

Wow. That mean's you're getting on for 90. Congratulations on being alive :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Think we may have moved in the same circles at one point: Stirling was great company and his wife Susie was even better. Also worked with Peter Gethin who had a legendary black book full of 70s F1 legend. All the drivers thought they were “lads” but those in Gethin’s book were the ones that really played hard (and often died young).

Lanfranchi/Marshall gang were proper party people. Cracking night in Dijon with them, and a weekend at Chimay years ago, pretty sure the whole gang lumped the bar tab ( drank it dry) on an unsuspecting resident who left their key on the table, with the number on display ;-)

Did an event at Aintree in 2004, Tony Brooks and SM, great evening. Had SM and Rupert Keegan on our table at Goodwood ball, Rupert twice. He's a very naughty boy :lolol:

They make most of the musicians seem pretty tame TBH.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Peter Gethin always a hero of mine from watching him racing Formula 5000 alt Oulton Park but mostly his amazing victory at the Italian GP in 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VB8Ry5kKjQ

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Knew (and have my uni/PhD leaving present - a football - signed by) Rudolph Vrba :bowdown: the first person to escape from Auschwitz. After that, the rest is basically m'eh....

Spoke to Bowie at a Human League gig.

Knew Liz Hurley's brother before Liz Hurley became Liz Hurley.

Have met and corresponded with a whole load of famous scientists, many of whom are delightful, and as mad as me, and others who are metaphorical stiletto-wielding psychobastards.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My daughter (now 39) worked in our local chip shop on the weekends when she was doing her A levels. One Saturday night she served a nice quiet unassuming Scottish gentleman. Once he had left the shop the owner, who was doing the frying said: “do you know who thar was?”
“No.”
“Graeme Souness”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On the day of the General Election in 1997 I attended a day conference in London to launch a Church based publication titled “Unemployment and the Future of Work”. It was deemed so important that Gordon Brown flew down from Scotland on Election Day to talk at the launch. Given the social and economic nature of the publication, the highest profile Bishop in the Church of England interested in the Social Agenda had agreed to chair the event - the Rt Revd David Sheppard, Bishop of Liverpool. I believe he also had some sort of fame in an earlier life in cricketing terms.

When the event was over, he went round talking to everyone who wasn’t rushing off, asking where they were from and what they did. I have rarely met anyone more humble, generous and genuine to talk to. When I told him I was from Hampshire, but that I was brought up in Sussex, he smiled. My colleague, a few years older than me and a keen cricket fan was in awe. I wasn’t old enough to have known him in his prime, but was fully aware of his past as a legendary opening bat for Sussex and England.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
I was walking through the woods one sunny Sunday lunchtime when I bumped into the Queen.
We had a nice 5 minute chat, she was very pleasant even though I called her Elizabeth.
She did not seem to mind but her 2 security men were not very happy about it.
I respect her but I have always said that I would never call another human being maaaam, sir or your majesty.
Having lived in Ascot for 10 years I have met many members of royalty, show business and sport people.
I used to have my breakfast with Glenn Hoddle in a cafe when he was England manager, Forsythe was often in my local Chinese in Sunninghill, Ruud Hullit lived across the road Russ Abott was often in my local pub and many many more.

Wonderful post. Made me think of stella street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here