Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward Commentating

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Calm down boys, if you dont like the show and the commentary, dont listen to it - simple as that, no one is makeing you tune in after every game now are they? If you dont like it, turn over and listen to the 'fantastic' commentary on Southern FM!!!!

Group hug anyone ??????

Last edited:

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I should just add that yes, I listen to the show both before and after the game, sometimes i laugh at the callers, sometimes i dont, some times i laugh at the presenters, sometimes i dont - if it pisses me off, i turn over.......

BUT I DONT REALLY GET MY COMMENTRY FROM SFM !!!!! (just to make that clear, ok?)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's nothing to do with that - about whether you can accept criticism in a public domain.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Didn't hear Mike Ward so can't say what he's like as a commentator. However his book is so dull, the only reason I bought it is because there's a photo of me in it! Even though it's all about the Albion I couldn't read it, finding it patronising and unoriginal. But then he is v.new to the Albion I guess.

However......Harty son, you're alright on the air in my book so carry on regardless!

The Great Cornholio has done a fine job explaining with flawless argumentation why he has every right to express a personal opinion on Harty's broadcasting capabilities - well done.

But what a shame he did not set himself the more interesting intellectual task of defending Harty's right to get pissed off and express that when reading rather pointed criticisms such as "I can't stand Harty. Poor quips, Mike Dickin impressions and the like".

I didn't hear Mike Ward's radio work but his last match programme column did ramble alarmingly off the point of his chosen subject of Christmas football tradition with unfunny Xmas shopping stories - needs to raise his game in future. But I'm halfway through reading his book and while you always fear the worst when something is described to you as "hilarious", it is fairly amusing IMHO.

London Irish said:

But what a shame he did not set himself the more interesting intellectual task of defending Harty's right to get pissed off and express that when reading rather pointed criticisms such as "I can't stand Harty. Poor quips, Mike Dickin impressions and the like".

I thought I had explained that - I'm surprised that someone who runs a phone in and contributes on here would not expect some criticism or disagreement. I admit that maybe my comments were a bit pointed but, in my defence, they were to illustrate my point about Mike Ward. I haven't started an "I hate Harty" thread because I believe that would have been unjustified in the same way some of the comments on this thread have been unjustified.

Of course he is entitled to get pissed off when reading it but, I believe, now I have explained my views further, he has taken it in the spirit it was meant. If not and you still take offence Harty then I apologise. Anyone who has read my posts on here will know that I normally post my true feelings, warts and all. As do most people.

I also take Trotsters point about voting with my feet - which I already do. Sometimes I listen to the Phone-in, sometimes I don't. I listen to the commentary for most away games I can't make and quite often listen to it whilst at Withdean and have already said how good I think it is - especially with John Byrne as co-commentator.

Anyway, this will be my last post on the subject as I never intended this to turn into a rant.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think Mike Ward could do such an easy thing to endear himself to fans much better... cut out the sarcasm.

I think above all else, this is the biggest bug-bear I have with the guy. Having read his book and listened to him for a while now, he's just so stereotypical to his main employ in life as a TV critic... basically a job so out of touch with reality it's ridiculous by definition!

I try so hard to read his column in the programmes, but again it's too riddled with sarcasm. It's too teeth-grinding to read!

As for the dig about criticising the Zamora DVD... In no way am I knocking Paul Camillin. The guy has done a great job with the resources available. But for the price of DVD production - which is VERY VERY cheap! - the CLUB (NOT Camillin) could have done more, considering the retail price.
In reality it's the club knowing that fans will probably settle for second best until we get Falmer. Whilst I concur to this to a degree, I think sometimes the wool is pulled over a little too much.

With regards to nameless, faceless posts... Due to some pratts with whom I work, who kept putting on my posts..."is that you XXX?" I decided it's best to retain a bit of privacy. For which I do not apologise!

In the immortal words of Michael Winner

"Calm down dear, its only a poster"

Paul Camillin may well have put a lot of work into the Zamora DVD but most of it appears to have been left on the cutting room floor.

£18.99 for 45 minutes:eek: that's 42.2p per minute. and mostly consisiting of material which I have already shelled out for

That;s even more expensive than a match ticket with a travel voucher. If BHA used that rate then a match ticket would be just under £38.
(Season ticket comes out at £874)

Be thankful for SCR.

On Sunday, I found myself driving north up the A34 from Hampshire - with a car radio that might just possibly have been in range of whatever local radio station was broadcasting commentary from Swindon. As it happened, I could find nothing but coverage of the matches involving Bournemouth, Reading or Oxford.

If you want piss-poor commentaries, choose BBC Radio Solent, BBC Radio Berkshire or BBC Radio Oxford.

be fair lord b, they've only got piss-poor teams to commentate on.

andrew hawes is a terrific commentator for scr - gets involved, paints a superb picture, passionate - fully expect him to go onto radio 5

the phone in is wonderful.

the choice of co-commentator tho......................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here