Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward Commentating

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Why do the BBC give this pratt air time? There must be better candidates (and better qualified) to do the job than this berk...

I expect people to flame me for having a go again...
I got bollocked by Harty the last time I said this, and that was in spite of me actually praising Harty & Hawesy, whom I think are really good at what THEY do... But why can't they or the Beeb see through this guy???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The BBC love Mike almost as much as Micky Adams loved Paul Watson and that is a lot !.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
his bits in the programme aren't even funny (or albion related!) anymore , run along mike your 15 mins are up!

oneboot

Aug 4, 2003
Burgess Hill
I still think the combo of Halls and Harty is the best while commentating.

I never used to listen to the games on the radio while not at the ground but after a chance listening I got hooked! Harty was co-commentating with halls and it was excellent!

John Byrne is second favourite.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
the guy is a muppet,self confessed new breed only out to sell his crap book. even prepared to plug it in his column in the club program,about the only thing he writes about.

sooner he slings his hook AND takes hull's finest ,fatboy slim ,with him the better.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
His programme column is unfunny and uninteresting. Can't we go back to contributions from genuine fans as we had in the programme in the dark days at Gillingham.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
He even got involved in delivering the petitions to Downing St. (Ward)
Not bad for a 'lifelong' supporter eh ?? :angry:

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Give the guy a break - a fan is a fan - does not matter how long he has supported them.

How would some people feel if he had been a lucky charm and we had won yesterday. I thought he did ok.

GUNTER said:
Give the guy a break - a fan is a fan - does not matter how long he has supported them.

How would some people feel if he had been a lucky charm and we had won yesterday. I thought he did ok.

I'm dead against the comments of northstandnorth - people should be free to support who they want and when, in the case of Fatboy, they plough in their own money then they should be thanked, not derided.

I do get annoyed when Mike Ward is put up as spokesman for the club on Talksport and the like. He pays his money so is a "fan" but I don't feel that someone who can change clubs that easily represents my views.

If it had been Peter Ward yesterday making the same comments yesterday, I would still have been complaining about the style of commentary. IMHO - he is not a good co-commentator and only gets the gig because he's mates with Harty and has a background in media which means he can string sentences together.

I think Andrew Hawes is a very good commentator and, considering he is a Swindon fan, he did a very good, unbiased commentary. On the other hand, I can't stand Harty. Poor quips, Mike Dickin impressions and the like. Done more for the club than me and most of us on here but I just don't like his style. But as we get a lot more air time than the old Radio Brighton days, I'm not going to complain too loud - it's just personal preference.

So for me, criticising Mike Ward yesterday was based purely on his commentating.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I wondered what Mrs Hart was doing on my computer!!!

It just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time, as for Mike due to various circumstances he kindly stepped into the breach at the last minute, and I thought he did a good job.

As for the above post, its not my normal job its my hobby for which I am lucky enough to get paid, people know what I do 'full time' and its something I take a lot of pride in, just out of interest Great Cornholio what are your hobbies?

He's way toooo sensible for me.

I want an out and out Albion looney as co-commentator. Someone who gets mightily annoyed at a duff looking substitution, someone who mioht "lose the plot" when seeing his team win a championship and ask under which stone a former chief executive is.

What I don't want is some smug sounding Islington media type, I'm a TV critic.

Fine once in a while but he seems to get on awfuly often now.

And his programme colum is feckin dull.

I've not read his program article because I don't buy programs, I've not heard his commontary because I'm usually at the game, and 'Gullhanger' wasn't my cup of tea.

BUT.....

I've met Mike Ward on several occasions and think he's a very nice bloke. He very kindly donated some items for the auction at the chartity supporters match with Leicester in the summer and also sold me a quality mobile phone for a knock-down price. Alright in my book.

Oh yeah and northstandnorth, your comment about Fatboy Slim is GOBSHITE of the highest order.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Ah, the monthly Ward bashing thread !!

I have to also admit to not hearing Ward's recent commentary stint, but if his last one was anything to go by, then dont give up your rather easy day job Mike !

However, the UTTER SHIT about Ward not being worthy of having an opinion just because he is 'new breed' comes from retards who have absolutley no concept about how this club is going to move forward when we get Falmer, because we will have to welcome a whole lot of 'new breeds' then to even contemplate filling 15,000 or so seats. Just ask the thousands of 'ex-fans' (every taxi driver I get on a Fri/Sat night !!) with their Sky sports subscriptions and their Chelsea away tops, where they will be of a weekend !!

On the subject of Falmer, Ward has been heavily involved in the campaign, also through his contacts bringing it to the attention of the national media. How many of us have that ability, you northstandnorth ?? I seriously doubt it, your comments about Norman Cook really expose you for the FUCKWIT you most definately are !!

gumbopickles

Jul 10, 2003
brighton
totally agree with rougvie

The very future of the club when we get to Falmer depends on getting new fans interested in watching Brighton and having the stadium that can accomodate those fans back that have become increasingly pissed off by Withdean ie shortage of tickets (though admittedly not recently), lack of atmosphere etc or had kids so no spare time and now want to strt watching the team again.

I have never met Mike ward, read his book or programme notes and i dont particularly llike his commentarty. BUT he pays his money and therefore is entitled to have a say and if what has been mentioned earlier about the media attention he attracts for us then that can only be positive. i do believe though that when it comes to finding a voice for the fans we should always be representeed by those that experienced the dark late years at the Goldstone and decades before such as Paul Samrah and John Baine ( if he bloody smartened himself up). Its not a competition about whos supported the albion longest. The way i look at it those that have just started watching in the withdean years have missed out on some the best years of albion experiences because the goldstone was the best place on the planet to watch the albion in my opinion, real matchday experience all crammed in the northstand!
As for having a go at norman cook, well thats pathetic. Anyone who puts half a mill in this club at a very difficult time is fine by me and he goes to the games. think i even saw him at the wrexham home game weeks back on a groggy saturday.
rant over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here