Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Bamber - hero or villain?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hero. Absolute total and utter Albion hero. He was the one who made us think that we didn't have to be a third division club until the end of time, and that we could go higher - and we did. Of course he made mistakes, like a lot of people he got caught out by the end of the Retain and Transfer system and the introduction of freedom of contract. He thought that signing players on long-term (10 year) contracts was the way to go, and in retrospect of course it wasn't. It all ended on a bit of a sour note which was a shame, but it was easily the best era we had .... until now.

I second these thought sir

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
I agree. We are entering a very exciting period in our club's history with a magnificent new stadium, one of the most progressive managers in the country and a fine squad.
But those late 70s / early 80s will always be the glory years.
son is BHA mad would have loved him to have him to exp erienced those times:albion2:thinks his dads mad:eek:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I agree. We are entering a very exciting period in our club's history with a magnificent new stadium, one of the most progressive managers in the country and a fine squad.
But those late 70s / early 80s will always be the glory years.

If we ever match the 70's/80's again, I for one would be buzzing!!

What a team we had back then.....but as per previous responses....Goldstone would always have limited us and what happened was neccessary for our team to start afresh on even ground!

:bhasign:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
How could Bamber not be an Albion legend? Bedson, Stanley, Archer, Knight. FFS!

The Bloom family (mega legends) they were involved during Bambers era and still are!! Thank gawd!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The worst thing Bamber ever did was to take a £1 million loan off Stanley. The best thing he ever did was live our dream of being a top flight team.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How could Bamber not be an Albion legend? Bedson, Stanley, Archer, Knight. FFS!
Pretty downright disgusting to mention Knight in the same sentence as Stanley and Archer, IMO. What short memories people have.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Best days ever as a BHA fan, Bamber had the vision to turn us into a 1st Division club(as was), it has been a bumpy journey and he has played a massive part in our history. Ernest, what is Dick Knights crime apart from not spending money we didn't have?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I still wonder why as other clubs developed their infrastructure (Norwich/Ipswich etc) nothing was done here and he allowed the Goldstone to fall into ruin and herald the dark days ahead. We were getting gates in excess of 30,000 but the money seemed strangely unaccounted for.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
IMHO Mike Bamber is guilty - but only of chasing the dream when Albion were in the ascendant - and perhaps of being rather naive when it came to tying players on the long contracts.

He was at the helm during the club's most succesful period and therefore worthy of a suitable memorial at The Amex.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Best days ever as an Albion fan until now, how can he be a villain? I think Keith Wickenden dying in a plane crash was the moment we went into decline.

The cup final was at the expense of League 1 football and Melia was a complete clown. Great though it was we'd have been better off with a decent manager and concentrating on the league imo.

Absolutely spot on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hero. Absolute total and utter Albion hero. He was the one who made us think that we didn't have to be a third division club until the end of time, and that we could go higher - and we did. Of course he made mistakes, like a lot of people he got caught out by the end of the Retain and Transfer system and the introduction of freedom of contract. He thought that signing players on long-term (10 year) contracts was the way to go, and in retrospect of course it wasn't. It all ended on a bit of a sour note which was a shame, but it was easily the best era we had .... until now.

The retain and transfer system ended in 1963? If you're meaning Bosman then that wasn't until 1995. There was no major change in the system between those two events.

Bamber made mistakes but then he was just doing what a lot did at the time. Definite hero and should be remembered as such.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
He was responsible for the best of times, getting us to the first Division for the first time, but also ultimately responsible for the worst of times, as the financial mess that followed allowed in Archer.

Ultimately he's both really - hero and villain.

He got us on the rollercoaster. I know from my Dad that the Albion were considered to be a sleepy stable third tier club beforehand, but as the pay off for the good times, we lost the Goldstone.

But then it's (hopefully) turned out all right...

heavyweightsrbest

Oct 10, 2009
I still wonder why as other clubs developed their infrastructure (Norwich/Ipswich etc) nothing was done here and he allowed the Goldstone to fall into ruin and herald the dark days ahead. We were getting gates in excess of 30,000 but the money seemed strangely unaccounted for.

We never did get a crowd of 30,000 in the old First Division. The crowds were in fact a bit disappointing. I remember one gate of only 13,000 and Bamber complaining that we were not breaking even. The club was in debt by the time we were relegated and the cup final cash paid off the debts. The Bamber years were brilliant lets hope we are about to enter a similar period.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
He was responsible for the best of times, getting us to the first Division for the first time, but also ultimately responsible for the worst of times, as the financial mess that followed allowed in Archer.

Ultimately he's both really - hero and villain.

He got us on the rollercoaster. I know from my Dad that the Albion were considered to be a sleepy stable third tier club beforehand, but as the pay off for the good times, we lost the Goldstone.

But then it's (hopefully) turned out all right...

Well, f*** my old hat.

Now it's Mike Bamber's fault that we lost the Goldstone it appears...........:facepalm:

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I agree best time ever with Bamber at the helm. 30K+ crowds at the Goldstone and what an atmosphere in that North Stand !!!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Makes me LAUGH when I see that BELLEND Dick Tight called a legend, he is not FIT to wipe Mike Bambers BACKSIDE let alone BE called a legend alongside Bamber.

I'm DISGUSTED that there is no tribute to Mike Bamber at Falmer and the supporters bar SHOULD have been NAMED Bambers and not named AFTER a potless pillock.

Bambers Bar does sound like a dodgy 80s Discotech mind

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here