Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MIDLANDS GULL - Derby think they will walk it!

IlsonDerby

May 5, 2014
This thread is unfair as a generalisation of Derby fan's feelings.

I'd say the confidence surrounding our forums is no greater than the confidence I've seen from your fans on this forum.

We both believe if we play well we'll go through, nothing arrogant there.

I hope if we don't go up, Brighton do. Hate Redknapp and Wigan's squad should be in the top two!

Some geezer sky sports news had on to review the play offs said that he expects the winner of the QPR Wigan semi to go up, t0sser.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I'd say the confidence surrounding our forums is no greater than the confidence I've seen from your fans on this forum.

I hope if we don't go up, Brighton do. Hate Redknapp and Wigan's squad should be in the top two!

Some geezer sky sports news had on to review the play offs said that he expects the winner of the QPR Wigan semi to go up, t0sser.

Agreed. It's always a case that 1 or 2 comments can be unfairly represented as a majority of the fan base.

The sky sports guy is a fool - and last year the same fools on that TV channel were expecting us to win the playoffs.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Going by that table it maybe closer than we think and QPR can't wait to get at Wigan.
I recon we would have had a better chance against Wigan, always said that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I suspect fans on both sides would want whoever wins our SF to make it. Both clubs get big crowds and loyal away followings, and will have done it on much lower wage bills than QPR/Wigan.

Personally I have no idea who will win the SF, we at least are glad to be here and I hope both sets of fans can enjoy a beer and a chat together over the 2 legs.

PG

Edit: PS and we did beat the Florists to get here!

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Blimey! You get penalties?
It's been so long since we had one of those I've forgotten what they look like.

:blush: A few, but not as many as Leicester. Haven't counted them up, but I think we've missed at least half and we don't seem to have anyone who's that confident with them. Martin, Ward, Bryson, Russell and Sammon have all missed. If we'd converted them all, we'd have been a bit closer to Burnley. Usually, when a team wins a penalty, the fans think "yes!" with us it's "oh f**k!".

Then again, at the last PO semi v Soton in 2007, I thought exactly the same, but we won the shoot-out with four of the best shoot-out penalties I've ever seen, including one from a full-back I wouldn't have backed to keep it in the stadium. So you never know, but I really hope it doesn't come down to that.

IlsonDerby

May 5, 2014
I suspect fans on both sides would want whoever wins our SF to make it. Both clubs get big crowds and loyal away followings, and will have done it on much lower wage bills than QPR/Wigan.

Personally I have no idea who will win the SF, we at least are glad to be here and I hope both sets of fans can enjoy a beer and a chat together over the 2 legs.

PG

Edit: PS and we did beat the Florists to get here!

Yeah hopefully there's a nice atmosphere before and after the game. During the game I'd expect it to be a war haha anything short will not be passionate enough for me! Last time we went up I didn't fancy us against a brilliant Southampton team (bale, surman, rasiak etc) nor did I fancy us against an even stronger west Brom (Dorrans, Phillips, Kamari etc) even though we finished miles above these two teams.

I wanted Brighton and Reading to both lose if I'm honest, we'd smash a Reading team coming into the playoffs on the back of a loss, not so confident against a Brighton who got in with a 90minute winner haha. If we don't let the occasion get to us, I fancy us to win but we have a very young team so it'd surprise me if the occasion doesn't get to them.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder will Derby come to attack us? Keep hearing about them being a very attacking team but that's a very dangerous game against us. Would be ideal if they did but I reckon they might come and try to keep it tight initially.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Keeping Chris Martin quiet will be key for us, at the start of the season we failed big time and this cost us.

When we played them at the start of the season we had a very inxperianced side out I hope we fair better at home this time round.

I think it will end up in extra time, 1-0 at our place 2-0 at yours and we sneak another late goal, we seem to score fairly late in games i am going for 80+ then extra time and pens is anyones guess, you would fancy Derby being at home to take advantage.

It will be intresting to see and its a bonus for us, where as Derby fully deserve their playoff place.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Derby have no reason to be anything other than confident - they've beaten us twice and are clearly the better side over the season as their points tally shows.

The two games we've had are 100% irrelevant now, if you look at them. Particularly the first one.

And if you think about it, 2 more goals for us and 2 less for them over the season and 13 points becomes 1 point. Fine margins are what a season is built upon. They're not much better than us.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think the Rams are entitled to feel confident. They have beaten us twice and they are the form team. I'd be very surprised if they didn't make it to Wembley - delighted, but surprised.

I think most of us here - had we not made the play-offs - would have been keen for Derby to take the play-off promotion space. So, I hope we win. If we don't I'll be rooting for Derby in the final.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think the Rams are entitled to feel confident. They have beaten us twice and they are the form team. I'd be very surprised if they didn't make it to Wembley - delighted, but surprised.

I think most of us here - had we not made the play-offs - would have been keen for Derby to take the play-off promotion space. So, I hope we win. If we don't I'll be rooting for Derby in the final.

A fair & accurate assessment I think.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Ince to drop back and provide cover and keep Martin quiet ,CMS, March and Lua Lua after 60 mins to rape their full backs??? Living up here,their fans think they will play same way and play quick poss football.

IlsonDerby

May 5, 2014
Will Hughes and Craig Bryson made the championship team of the season. Keeping these two quiet will be the most important task for you. Difficult with Hughes as you'll barely notice him do anything but he keeps us ticking. We have Thorne in our side now playing the holding role who is 10 times the player of Eustace, Thorne on ability should not be as far down the pecking order at West Brom. He is the best player we have in my opinion.

Then you have Chris Martin, if you get close to him he'll go down like a sack of sh!t and win freekick after freekick, infuriating your fans and players. If you don't get close to him he will hold the ball up and provide for the midfield.

Next up is the two men either side of Martin as we play a 433. We have two to choose from:
Bamford - Does nothing all game but can conjure a goal from nothing, as you're well aware from our home game
Ward - Tenacious, big game player. Would put everything I have on him being in the starting line up. He's petulant and will get under your defender's skin
Russell - Injury hit season but still demonstrated why the club went all out to beat Celtic + others to his signature (flying him back early off his holiday to sign) his pace and direct running can cause trouble as well as his ability to hit a great goal.
Dawkins - Cannot understand why it has taken him so long to be rescued from Spurs' reserves. The ball glues to his feet whilst he is running and he is so strong for a small guy, some fans question his final product but I think he has the ability to unlock defences.
Bennett - 17 year old Mason, probably won't get much time on the pitch if any but go back to us playing Chelsea in the FA cup to watch him having Ashley Cole's pants down.

Finally, our left back Forsyth. Signed from Watford as a reserve winger. Now under the coaching of McClaren is statistically the best left back in the division this season (whoscored.com). The best crosser of the ball we have, he never floats them in he always hits them hard towards the keeper but with the intention of it swerving away from to keeper to leave him in no mans land. Often the defenders will get a block in or the keeper will push it away but when he hits it right the crosses are really dangerous.

Keep these guys in check and you'll beat us but there are a lot of dimensions to our attack which is why even teams who have set up with 10 behind the ball have struggled against us.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Blimey we might as well not turn up !!!.

We are a different side than both games against Derby this season. I don't expect Oscar to change his line up, injuries permitting. Hope Derby come and attack, will play into our hands, but not until the 2nd half. Subs will be critical, our bench is potentially better with match winners, but might be too late.... All adds up to hopefully 2 games that are full of ability skill, passion, nerves, etc etc.

Keep Martin & Bryson quiet and we have a chance.

East Stand

May 4, 2014
Will Hughes is not going to be starting tomorrow, despite being in the Championship team of the year together with Craig Bryson, young Will is finding it difficult to force his way back into the side.

His place will be taken by young Jeff Hendrick who gives us a bit more pace and power down the middle of the park. Hendrick has scored a few wonder goals recently and together with Craig Bryson who has scored 13 or 14 goals this season, ensures a potent goal threat from midfield. However, it's Thorne that pulls the strings, big and strong, this lad is some player.

I don't think the two games between us this season count for anything, at the Amex we caught you a bit cold and at our place it was a poor game which you didn't deserve to lose.

You have the experience from last season to count on and that could be very important, we have a young squad and like to move the ball around and attack teams. I think the longer in the tie the teams are even the more Brighton will fancy their chances?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here