Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield, whats going on?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Large One said:
That leaves the centre pairing too lightweight.

I'd stick Mayo and Reid in the middle meself.

I don't think my midfield is any better than the current side MM puts out to be honest. Find it hard to improve on with current players. Personally, I've never felt encouraged by Reid in the middle. I'd like Hammond on the left but think we need his presence in the middle. He's big and does when up for it slide in to tackles well. **** knows! Glad I'm not MM :jester:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Midfield, whats going on?

London Irish said:
Well that was the reason on Saturday.

Proof was when we moved back to a 4 in the second half, the game evened out and you wouldn't have known we were playing against a team of 9 ex-Prem players.

We were playing against quality in the middle that contributed to it but even in the second half our two in the middle were still second to the ball most of the time and have been most of the season. I think either a change of tactics, playing it on the floor more, or a change of personnel in the middle, to exploit our current tactics, is required.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Re: Re: Re: Midfield, whats going on?

Les Biehn said:
We were playing against quality in the middle that contributed to it but even in the second half our two in the middle were still second to the ball most of the time and have been most of the season. I think either a change of tactics, playing it on the floor more, or a change of personnel in the middle, to exploit our current tactics, is required.

I'd agree with that, Chippy seems only able to pass the ball out to our left hand side.... thats why i would like to see Reid in his place in a 4-4-2

Let Hammond play on the right, as when he plays in wider areas he seems to be able to get forward and beyond his marker, and Fruity on the left, not quite as skilful as Carole but does try to get to the byeline and get a cross in, not always the best delivery but better than no delivery from Carole. Nicolas would do well alongside Reid in the middle, but unlikely to get picked so Mayo on sat and Oatway next season ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You can shuffle around the players in midfield all you like but the fact is our squad is simply not good enough to stay up.

I was very disappointed by Reid on Saturday. He got his chance and he blew it. Chippy and Hammond looked totally off the pace - what has happended to both of them?

Pre-season I thought they'd both handle this standard no problem, but neither has looked like a CCC player at any stage of the season.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield, whats going on?

blockhseagull said:
I'd agree with that, Chippy seems only able to pass the ball out to our left hand side.... thats why i would like to see Reid in his place in a 4-4-2

Let Hammond play on the right, as when he plays in wider areas he seems to be able to get forward and beyond his marker, and Fruity on the left, not quite as skilful as Carole but does try to get to the byeline and get a cross in, not always the best delivery but better than no delivery from Carole. Nicolas would do well alongside Reid in the middle, but unlikely to get picked so Mayo on sat and Oatway next season ?

Not sure about Oatway for next season but would like to see Mayo and Reid in the middle with Fruty on the left and Hammond on the right. Hammond also offers height and a work ethic out on the wing. I would like to see Nicolas get a chance but for me would be on the bench giving him a chance to work his way back into first team games.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
It took me to the second half to realise Hammond was playing, he was totally non-existent in the first half, Chippy again was slow and look very vulnerable again. The only midfielder who looked ok on Saturday was Reidy, untill Magoo moved him back into bloody defence.

I would of took off Chippy for Carole, moving Reidy into the middle with Hammond. Then I would of put Carole and Hart on both wings.

When will Magoo realise that Reidy aint a f***ing defender, and he is one of our only decent midfielders we've got at our club.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Pavilionaire said:
You can shuffle around the players in midfield all you like but the fact is our squad is simply not good enough to stay up.

I was very disappointed by Reid on Saturday. He got his chance and he blew it. Chippy and Hammond looked totally off the pace - what has happended to both of them?

Pre-season I thought they'd both handle this standard no problem, but neither has looked like a CCC player at any stage of the season.

What he said. Spot on.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield, whats going on?

Les Biehn said:
Not sure about Oatway for next season but would like to see Mayo and Reid in the middle with Fruty on the left and Hammond on the right. Hammond also offers height and a work ethic out on the wing. I would like to see Nicolas get a chance but for me would be on the bench giving him a chance to work his way back into first team games.

Only said Oatway as are midfield has missed him, and he adds a bit of bite and would sit allowing Reid to get forward. Nicolas waould do the same job but obviously isn't going to get his chance.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Midfield, whats going on?

London Irish said:
Proof was when we moved back to a 4 in the second half, the game evened out and you wouldn't have known we were playing against a team of 9 ex-Prem players.

Not exactly. Soton were leading by then, and were quite happy to sit back and soak up our rather weak pressure ... it's not like we were matching them in terms of our performance.

I'd either play Reid-Nicolas-Hammond as a three, or Hammond-Reid-Nicolas-Frutos as a four.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Reid joined this club as a midfielder. Please MM pick him in his preferred position. After all you were the one who signed him from Bradford.

In fact f*** it we are down so why not play everyone in the position they are accustomed to and who knows we may win another game before the end of the season :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here