Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middle Names

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
my grandad gave my dad the middle pomeroy (old family name)........No disrespect grandad,but thank feck he died before i was born otherwise he would have insisted on it.

As well is known, various celebs have stupid middle names (Bob Primrose Wilson being a famous, or infamous, footballing example), but are there any NSCers out there willing to confess to having a dodgy middle name or names foisted on them by their parents?

What's wrong with Primrose? It's a good, old-fashioned British name. I assume it's a family name (his mother's maiden name?) - it was of course very common to give such surnames as middle names. It's far better than the modern system of "we couldn't decide between Bob and Colin, so we called him Colin Bob").

No middle name here, and neither of my kids have them. My partner would have quite liked a middle name - in her (Welsh) family, the first name would be a common family name, and the middle, by which the person would be called, would be the more personal name (eg her mother, Gwyneth Anne, is known as Anne).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My middle name is also my Dad's middle name, my paternal Grandad's middle name and was the first name of one of both my maternal and paternal great-grandfathers, hence why I have it as the oldest male of my generation on my Dad's side of the family.

Thankfully though, it's a nice normal one, so I'm happy to carry on the family tradition, although it'll rely on one of my brothers having kids and choosing to use it if it's to go any further.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What's wrong with Primrose? It's a good, old-fashioned British name. I assume it's a family name (his mother's maiden name?) - it was of course very common to give such surnames as middle names. It's far better than the modern system of "we couldn't decide between Bob and Colin, so we called him Colin Bob").

No middle name here, and neither of my kids have them. My partner would have quite liked a middle name - in her (Welsh) family, the first name would be a common family name, and the middle, by which the person would be called, would be the more personal name (eg her mother, Gwyneth Anne, is known as Anne).

They do that in ireland too.

My family (paternal) come from Unst in the Shetland Islands and since 1700's used the old Viking moniker "Omand" in all the girls names, it stopped with my sister but if I have a girl I will re-instigate it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Surnames that have turned into first names for kids annoys me nowadays. Everyone is called Tyler or Taylor or some other div name. I have neighbours who have called their daughter Ebonique. Fucks sake. Another neighbours kid is called Genius. He is as thick as f*** too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here