Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky settling in on opening line-up?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting that Micky only made one sub throughout the game The main message that came across to me in tonight's game is the ineffectiveness of David Livermore. The difference in the middle of midfield between him in the first half and El-Abd in the second alongside Thomson was plain.

Livermore's cover for in front of his defenders was woeful, exposing Lynch and Elphick to wave after wave of attack. You'd eventually see Livermore and Thomson trotting back at their own leisurely pace. Thank f*** for Kuipers.

With Whing at right-back in the second half, the team looked so much more balanced and together.

I'm sure Livermore can do a job, but I haven't seen it yet.

Kuipers

Richards
Lynch
Elphick
Whing

Cox
Thomson
El-Abd
McLeod

Murray
Forster

Unless we sign someone else, on tonight's performance, it's a team that nearly picked itself.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Agree with all of that. I thought El-Abd was great in midfield tonight. We seemed to have a lot more energy in the second half and Whing made some terrifics passes down the flank. I think the 2 all second half scoreline was not a fair reflection of the proceedings.

Ipswich look like a handy side and I would imagine they will be buzzing about the playoffs for much of the season.

Ps Kuipers would have made Gordon Banks look like Andy Petterson.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Virgo surely on the bench.

I don't particularly rate Livermore of Thomson and worry neither has the drive to push forward. I do think playing them together would limit our style of play too much.

Other than that and possibly swapping Lynch for Hawkins (which personally I wouldn't do) I can't see Micky having too many selection headaches come Crewe.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Virgo surely on the bench.

I don't particularly rate Livermore of Thomson and worry neither has the drive to push forward. I do think playing them together would limit our style of play too much.

Other than that and possibly swapping Lynch for Hawkins (which personally I wouldn't do) I can't see Micky having too many selection headaches come Crewe.

Thomson was much better in the second half, especially getting forward, including absolute peach of a cross from the dead-ball line right at the death which Forster? Murray? nodded wide.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would start Thomson in the middle purely because I think, although he does get caught in possession at times, at this stage he is more settled into the team and has at least been tried in the more offensive position we need filling.

Just no idea who I would play with him...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I didn't realise I wasn't!

If anything, I had worryingly agreed with you again!???

Oh.

You said 'no idea who to play alongside Thomson'. Go all the way back to the original post on this thread, and you'll find a pretty reasonable answer - especially on tonight's showing.

I said 'behave' cos I though you were being sarky, not being a fan of El-Abd and everything.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I'm coming to the conclusion, that could be the team for Crewe. I thought Livermore was poor in the first half. But in the second half, he looked alot better at Left Back. I know for a fact we're still two players short, from having a play-off contending team.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oh.

You said 'no idea who to play alongside Thomson'. Go all the way back to the original post on this thread, and you'll find a pretty reasonable answer - especially on tonight's showing.

I said 'behave' cos I though you were being sarky, not being a fan of El-Abd and everything.

Ah.

Im not sure El Abd is the long-term answer. I personally think Thomson is better suited to the deep role than the attacking one I am assuming he will be asked to play this season.

However, in the short-term, if Thomson is going to be the forward running player I don't see anything wrong with El Abd, or even Tommy Fraser, doing the job just as well, if not better than Livermore.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm coming to the conclusion, that could be the team for Crewe. I thought Livermore was poor in the first half. But in the second half, he looked alot better at Left Back. I know for a fact we're still two players short, from having a play-off contending team.

Who am i to stay but i don't agree that we are unable to gain promotion with the team we currently have. A central mid and back up striker would be perfect but we can gain promotion still...

I really feel Tommy and Joel will prove themselves as a brilliant pairing thoughout the season. I think if Micky can just find the right partnership in the middle, to provide for the wingers and strikers then we should have a goood season.

Stay positive!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes agree with all of that, EL Abd for me in midfield. We looked a better outfit. Livermore looked off the pace tonight, whereas El Abd was well up for it.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Yep, good one, let's criticise a bloke who's never played a competitive game for us and has more footballing pedigree than the rest of our midfield combined:clap:

To be fair he was poor tonight. I'm sure he'll do well though once he has settled in. However on tonights evidence I would certainly put El Abd in the holding midfield role.
Think the team that finished will be the one that starts at Crewe (except for Richards at LB). Personally would prefer Hawkins to Lynch though.
Was impressed with Murray tonight. He is never going to be the kind of player that runs around like a headless chicken but his lay offs and flicks were extremely intelligent. He's the kind of player that as well as scoring goals will set them up for players pushing forward from midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here