Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams back at Port Vale ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What an utter bunch of TOOLS that Sheff Utd board are. They poach Adams in December and have to pay pay Vale compensation. They give Adams and Cork 2.5 year deals, with Adams apparently increasing his wage FOUR-fold from what he was on at Vale. Less than four and a half months later, predictably, its all gone tits up and thats another hefty pay-off for a failed manager they're having to shell out for.

"He [Adams] made it clear that he wanted the chance to lead us next season but the fact remains that we have been relegated. I feel that in order to give ourselves the best opportunity we should make a clean sweep at the top and start afresh next season."
- Kevin McCabe, Owner

Yes well done Kevin, what a stroke of genius that was eh. Blades fans must be delighted to have someone with your forsight making the big decisions at their club. Now, where's that facepalm.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
What an utter bunch of TOOLS that Sheff Utd board are. They poach Adams in December and have to pay pay Vale compensation. They give Adams and Cork 2.5 year deals, with Adams apparently increasing his wage FOUR-fold from what he was on at Vale. Less than four and a half months later, predictably, its all gone tits up and thats another hefty pay-off for a failed manager they're having to shell out for.

"He [Adams] made it clear that he wanted the chance to lead us next season but the fact remains that we have been relegated. I feel that in order to give ourselves the best opportunity we should make a clean sweep at the top and start afresh next season."
- Kevin McCabe, Owner

Yes well done Kevin, what a stroke of genius that was eh. Blades fans must be delighted to have someone with your forsight making the big decisions at their club. Now, where's that facepalm.

So Adams could have a payoff of around 8 times his annual Vale salary for 6 months work!:O

I know what you mean, but losing your manager when a better job comes on offer, is just the reality, whoever you appoint.

Many Albion fans worry about losing Gus to a mega club - and he might be tempted away by such. In reality - like Adams at SUFC has - he might struggle to lead a top club like Chelsea and get the elbow sharpish. Even finishing 2nd is a sackable offense in those quarters. I think we need worry less, because the kind of club that can tempt GP away aren't going to have a guy in his position in their sights, not until he's a proven force in their league.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So Adams could have a payoff of around 8 times his annual Vale salary for 6 months work!:O

4 months work.

They were in 20th spot, 2 points above the relegation zone when he took over on 30th December. So they were in trouble, but by no means doomed. That is until Mick got hold of them, and achieved a princely 4 wins from 24 games.

Good effort.

edpvfc

May 11, 2011
Vale Fans View

Be interesting to hear what the occasional Vale fans who come on here think. I'd go with "tainted no thanks" if I were a Vale fan.

As a Vale fan I would love Micky back he performed miracles with average players, his stress on fitness and his hard working mentality is what we lacked as we slid from 2nd to 11th after he left. Although it didnt work out well when he returned to Brighton the second time around us Vale fans just have to look down the road to see how well Tony Pulis has done second time around at Stoke. Hopefully he'll come back and we will get taken over by local businessman Mo Choudry and next year will be a promotion party. This is Vale though so i dont expect too much...

Micky 'the mesiah' Adams instilled new hope in the fans of the Vale after over 10 years of demise.

Last edited:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Many Albion fans worry about losing Gus to a mega club - and he might be tempted away by such. In reality - like Adams at SUFC has - he might struggle to lead a top club like Chelsea and get the elbow sharpish. Even finishing 2nd is a sackable offense in those quarters. I think we need worry less, because the kind of club that can tempt GP away aren't going to have a guy in his position in their sights, not until he's a proven force in their league.

I notice Gus has gone from 22/1 to 4/1 outright favourite for the next West Ham manager in the last few days.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wonder how much we had to pay him off? didnt he still have over 2 years on his contract with us?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
4 months work.

They were in 20th spot, 2 points above the relegation zone when he took over on 30th December. So they were in trouble, but by no means doomed. That is until Mick got hold of them, and achieved a princely 4 wins from 24 games.

Good effort.

Was MA just doing Palace a favour in keeping them up and taking the Blades into the relegation zone ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I hope he gets it and then sticks it out. He is a manager that needs TIME. He had no time Abd no money at Sheff Utd and he would never have taken it if he didn't love the club so much. Really fail to see why there are so many bad comments on this board about him.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I hope he gets it and then sticks it out. He is a manager that needs TIME. He had no time Abd no money at Sheff Utd and he would never have taken it if he didn't love the club so much. Really fail to see why there are so many bad comments on this board about him.

I can't understand some of the comments about him either.

OK, he was less than successful during his second spell here but he lifted us out of the doldrums after Horton did exactly what Adams did-left for a better offer. Horton hasn't exactly been a roaring success since he left us, didn't win anything whilst here yet Adams gets the abuse? We had 2 fantastic seasons thanks to Adams-why the need to be so happy that he's just lost the job he wanted more than anything?

saintvaliant

Jun 4, 2009
As one of the occasional Vale to visit here, have to say I'm underwhelmed by Adams' potential return.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that I guess.

In all honesty, he left us a squad with virtually no goals in it. He never gave youth a chance and of course he jumped at the 1st time of asking. The failing of this season was that the side Adams' left got found out when he left when it ran out of a bit of luck.

It's a perverse world where such a lack of loyalty is 'rewarded' by a 3 year deal on the best terms the club has ever offered apparently.

Oddly enough though it's not the biggest issue we have at the minute. The fans have forced a General Meeting of the shareholders and which it is hoped the current board will be booted out. Part of that has seen a season ticket boycott with pledges from 1900 fans to not renew - roughly 40% of the figure we sold last year.

Adams coming back will buy the board some token support I guess, but ultimately even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
His heart will really be in that wont it,,,sake. There fans must be well pissed off with that, not that I wish anything bad on Micky(always a legend, for the first time round) but it a bit like taking back an old bird, that dumped you for a better looking fella, only for him to kick her out when he realised she was not that good a shag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here