Votes: 119 74.8%
  • Player Hater

Votes: 40 25.2%

• Total voters

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Wrong account again, Crodo!

Here I’ll do it for you:

I think it would be marvellous if the hero-among-men Michael Lynch were to accept a suitably agreeable negotiated offer. That said, all sides involved are doing a terrific job under very difficult circumstances and for this they must be praised.
So, inflation is 11%, he refuses 9% (effectively a pay cut) and asks for say 15%, that’s a pay increase of an eye watering 4% ! Come on people we need to get a grip. They aren’t asking the World are they ? Massive profits for the owners etc and non trickling down to the workers who actually work. It must be a southern thing hating unions, it’s embrassing. Anyway, I’m off to work now.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think the unions will settle at 12% FWIW as long as the reforms are taken off the table.
That would still be significantly below inflation, as the deal is over two years. My understanding is that the current offer is 5% plus 4%. It’s likely that inflation over the same period will be around 17%. The government is doing a good job of presenting these deals as huge increases, when in fact they are relatively modest over the two year period.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Inflation is 11% and rising, so it’s still a pay cut if they accept that.
In its November 2022 Monetary Policy Committee report, the Bank of England predicted that inflation will decrease below 10% after March 2023 before dropping below 2% in the first half of 2024. It said it expects that by the end of 2023, inflation will be between 5% and 6%.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wish some of you would make up your minds. A few years ago I was reading on here how some posters wanted to get average wages up for British workers and now when it looks like some may possibly get a rise very slightly above inflation, the exact same people are dead against it :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Does anyone really care about the strikes anymore?

They were annoying to start with, but people are just used to it now, meh.

Rail strike? Just work at home.
indeed, why waste anymore of tax payers money on the entire rail system?

choo-choos aren't for the likes of us

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In its November 2022 Monetary Policy Committee report, the Bank of England predicted that inflation will decrease below 10% after March 2023 before dropping below 2% in the first half of 2024. It said it expects that by the end of 2023, inflation will be between 5% and 6%.
Perfect. Give the rail workers the 14% they demand and you’re, in effect, future proofing further demands for many years to come.

This union stuff is easy.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
That would still be significantly below inflation, as the deal is over two years. My understanding is that the current offer is 5% plus 4%. It’s likely that inflation over the same period will be around 17%. The government is doing a good job of presenting these deals as huge increases, when in fact they are relatively modest over the two year period.
Hadn't realised this was two years. Lynch will surely be holding out for a 20%+ payrise at least half backdated to this time last year, plus no reforms.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So, inflation is 11%, he refuses 9% (effectively a pay cut) and asks for say 15%, that’s a pay increase of an eye watering 4% ! Come on people we need to get a grip. They aren’t asking the World are they ? Massive profits for the owners etc and non trickling down to the workers who actually work. It must be a southern thing hating unions, it’s embrassing. Anyway, I’m off to work now.
I don't think it is 9% either. It's 5% then 4% the year after. That's not really a 9% pay rise. Well - it is in effect, but if we try to say it's 9%, then we'd have to say inflation is 17% - 11% then 6% next year. So - still a well-below inflation offer.

Network Rail's chief negotiator earned £355,000 in 2022. In 2021 he earned £330,000. 7.5% pay rise. That is - more than he is offering staff. Funny that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here