Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micheal Phelps or Sir Steve Redgrave ??

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have to go with Sir Steve on this. Maybe someone while set-up a vote ? Phelps is awesome,make no mistake. However over 16 years (5 Olympics) Redgrave has only had one event,and he has been top everytime. :bigwave:

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
i dont think any one person could be classed as the greatest olympian. one person could be the greatest olympic swimmer or rower or athelete or shooter etc .

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Michael Phelps - the greatest olympic swimmer, which he has proved so far in Beijing

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Carl Lewis.

Oct 25, 2003
swimming events are so uniform that if you're any good, you'll easily collect shit loads of medals

what redgrave did was FAR better as he was at the top of his sport for so many years

maybe they should introduce 100m hopping and backwards running into the athletics to even it out

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Redgrave, being top of your sport for such a long time is legend status

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Michael Phelps - the greatest olympic swimmer, which he has proved so far in Beijing

Yes, on paper. But swimming is totally different to Rowing. Many swimmers in the past won loads of medals, eg Thorpe. But the fact Redgrave won 5 medals in 5 different Olympics over 16 years is surely better.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There is only one greatest ever Olympian & his place will never be taken.

Jessie Owens.

Phelps will become the most decorated Olympian.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ali by a country mile imo or Cassius Clay as he was then

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1 gold medal?

Redgrave has competed in 5 Olympics and never been beaten.

Depends whether you think an Olympian cannot go on to greater things after the Olympics and has to stay an Olympian to be considered as the best. No other Olympians that I'm aware of have gone on to become considered the greatest sportsman of all time apart from Ali.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Depends whether you think an Olympian cannot go on to greater things after the Olympics and has to stay an Olympian to be considered as the best. No other Olympians that I'm aware of have gone on to become considered the greatest sportsman of all time apart from Ali.

I wouldn't consider Ali to be the greatest sportsman of all time.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would consider Ali as an all time great sportsman, not in terms of the Olympics, more what he achieved afterwards.

Oct 25, 2003

i guess thats because he's in a sport where the olympics aren't the greatest acolade

the olympics are the pinnacle of redgraves sport, and he was at the top for FIVE olympics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here