Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Vaughan...

I think there's a case for dropping him down the order to 5 or 6 where he'll come in facing the older ball, get set for when the second new ball arrives.

I think any of England's major test opponents would get torn to shreds by their own media if they planned a team around the principle that a number 3 batsman will have to be playing against the first ball when it's still new.

At least today the ball was 23 overs old before Vaughan got to see it (or not, as the case may be).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure I follow, LB.

If the average opening test partnership for England is, say, 40 and they score at 3.5 per over the No. 3 batsman will, on average, come out in the 12th over. The ball at that point is still very new.

That principle applies to ANY test-playing nation. England's best-ever opening pair averaged in the 60s so No. 3 still comes in when the ball is bearly 20 overs old.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Rob Key. Unlucky to be dropped last time around; experienced captain who's done well for Kent and who has got a few runs this season.

I do not believe that on batting form alone Key would get in ahead of Shah etc. as the next in line. Age and his fielding ability are also definitely not on his side.

However, also all the others are named on here Cook, Strauss, Collingwood etc. none of them are also nailed a guaranteed spot in the batting line up.

I do not like bowlers as captain, because they either tend to overbowl themselves or underbowl themselves.

To my mind that only leaves one other player...Pietersen and we all know what country he comes from.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I think any of England's major test opponents would get torn to shreds by their own media if they planned a team around the principle that a number 3 batsman will have to be playing against the first ball when it's still new.

At least today the ball was 23 overs old before Vaughan got to see it (or not, as the case may be).

I am not sure if you are suggesting Vaughan (or any captain) shouldn't bat at number 3. Ponting does for Australia.

Number 3 is one of the most difficult positions to bat as you are both an opener and a middle order batsman. You could be in either 2nd ball or you could sit around for hours and come in after 50+ overs against two spinners.

A better bet might be to get Vaughan to open again (like he used to) so he knows exactly what he is going to be and maybe move one of the other two down (didn't they do this to Strauss in NZ, and that is when Strauss got his 100).

His form is shcoking at the mo and I think if he wasn't the captain his place would have been questioned sime time ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here