Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bring back Mike Brearley (sp)

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Cook. Got all the qualities of a captain. He has application, is intelligent and is an automatic selection IMO

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
..and he sang in the choir at St.Paul's cathedral. How more 'England Captain' do you want?

Rob Key. Unlucky to be dropped last time around; experienced captain who's done well for Kent and who has got a few runs this season.

Oh god no. Was he unlucky last time around? He's got a Test average of 31, from 15 matches. Take out his 221 against a particularly bad (at the time) West Indies and his average plunges to 23. In 25 other Test innings he only past 50 three times, and made no other centuries.

Besides which, can you imagine the reaction of the other players if you bought a player in specifically to be captain?

edit: all stats courtesy of cricinfo. I'm not that sad!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Cook. Got all the qualities of a captain. He has application, is intelligent and is an automatic selection IMO

Captain Cook would be great fun as well !!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh god no. Was he unlucky last time around? He's got a Test average of 31, from 15 matches. Take out his 221 against a particularly bad (at the time) West Indies and his average plunges to 23. In 25 other Test innings he only past 50 three times, and made no other centuries.

Besides which, can you imagine the reaction of the other players if you bought a player in specifically to be captain?

edit: all stats courtesy of cricinfo. I'm not that sad!

But apart from two tests against Zim and the aforementioned WI, he played against Australia and SA away - two hard tours. He's also captained the Lions (although Yardy has too and I wouldn't suggest him).

I think Key should have got another game or two anyway, I reckon it's more his lack of ability in the field that counts against him rather than his batting. I'm not saying he's perfect but he's a better call than Bell or an out-of-form Collingwood.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
this is the problem, there is no successor ready for it yet

Cook is the nearest but maybe a year or 2 early for him at the moment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So Vaughan has scored 21, 2, 0 and 0 in this series. He's had one good test with the bat in his last 9, 1 ton and 1 fifty in his last 13 inns. He's 33 years old, but still a very good captain.

I think there's a case for dropping him down the order to 5 or 6 where he'll come in facing the older ball, get set for when the seond new ball arrives.

Bell could easily move to 3. That also reduces the chances of Bell and Collingwood batting together which can bog us down.

What you want, ideally, is to replicate the Taylor handover to the young Ponting with Vaughan handing over to Cook. But Vaughan needs runs and he doesn't look like getting them at 3 right now. Dropping him in the middle of the series with the Ashes looming is potential disastrous.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So Vaughan has scored 21, 2, 0 and 0 in this series. He's had one good test with the bat in his last 9, 1 ton and 1 fifty in his last 13 inns. He's 33 years old, but still a very good captain.

I think there's a case for dropping him down the order to 5 or 6 where he'll come in facing the older ball, get set for when the seond new ball arrives.

Bell could easily move to 3. That also reduces the chances of Bell and Collingwood batting together which can bog us down.

What you want, ideally, is to replicate the Taylor handover to the young Ponting with Vaughan handing over to Cook. But Vaughan needs runs and he doesn't look like getting them at 3 right now. Dropping him in the middle of the series with the Ashes looming is potential disastrous.

Moving Vaughan to 5 or 6 sounds like a good idea to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here