Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Owen

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lovely goal this evening.

Slightly better than 1 in 3 ration now for Man U

1 in 2 for England and will be 30 at the World Cup.

I think he has to go to the world cup. Has seen it and done it and would be a fantastic option off the bench

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I've said before and I'll say it again, on his day and fit he is the best out and out striker England have, its just whether he can sustain his fitness and/or given a chance to properly prove himself.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
Lovely goal this evening.

Slightly better than 1 in 3 ration now for Man U

1 in 2 for England and will be 30 at the World Cup.

I think he has to go to the world cup. Has seen it and done it and would be a fantastic option off the bench

Agree with that 100%.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I think he should go as a squad player but don't think a Rooney/Owen partnership would work. Having said that can't think of anyone better to have on the bench to bring on if you're 1-0 down with 20 to go.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Owen is finished. His legs gave out 5 years ago and he'll never get that pace back that he used to rely on

No offence like, but that's the view that really annoys me.

He is not SLOW by any means and cab still accelerate quickly, as shown to tonight and for his goals against Wigan and man city(both BRILLIANT finishes)

the guy has ADAPTED his game to counter his loss of raw pace. He scores tap ins, headers(his heading is brilliant for a short striker). His positional knowledge is second to none(when Valencia scored in the champs league last week he was standing basically on the goal line ready for any cross/fumble).

Michael owen is the best finisher in this country and, if fit, HAS to go to the world cup in my view.

Imagine it, last minute, we need a goal. Who do you want the ball to fall to 6yards out? Him? Or CARLTON COLE?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Way past his best and injury prone. I've got a bet on he wont reach double figures in the Premiership this season.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I think the following are currently in the running -

Rooney
Heskey
Crouch
C. Cole
Defoe
D. Bent
Agbonlahor
Owen

I believe we should be taking the following to the World Cup; 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 forwards. Keeping in mind a mixture of midfielders/forwards could play both positions.

I'd say the following already have their flights booked; Rooney, Heskey, Crouch. Given Capello's fondness of a big striker upfront.

So that leaves Owen to fight for 2 spaces with C. Cole, Defoe, D. Bent, Agbonlahor.

I don't think C. Cole will be going, due to Crouch and Heskey already being there.

For me, Defoe, D. Bent and Agbonlahor, whilst all good strikers, are all pretty similar. Therefore, I think Owen will be going to the World Cup.

Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Owen, Defoe/Bent/Agbonlahor.

There could also be an arguement for taking 6 midfielders and 6 forwards. In which case, he'll definitely be there.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the following are currently in the running -

Rooney
Heskey
Crouch
C. Cole
Defoe
D. Bent
Agbonlahor
Owen

I believe we should be taking the following to the World Cup; 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 forwards. Keeping in mind a mixture of midfielders/forwards could play both positions.

I'd say the following already have their flights booked; Rooney, Heskey, Crouch. Given Capello's fondness of a big striker upfront.

So that leaves Owen to fight for 2 spaces with C. Cole, Defoe, D. Bent, Agbonlahor.

I don't think C. Cole will be going, due to Crouch and Heskey already being there.

For me, Defoe, D. Bent and Agbonlahor, whilst all good strikers, are all pretty similar. Therefore, I think Owen will be going to the World Cup.

Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Owen, Defoe/Bent/Agbonlahor.

There could also be an arguement for taking 6 midfielders and 6 forwards. In which case, he'll definitely be there.

I agree with most of that.

Although I don't thing we should take 6 midfielders and 6 strikers - after all, Walcott is capable of playing up front if needed.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No offence like, but that's the view that really annoys me.

He is not SLOW by any means and cab still accelerate quickly, as shown to tonight and for his goals against Wigan and man city(both BRILLIANT finishes)

the guy has ADAPTED his game to counter his loss of raw pace. He scores tap ins, headers(his heading is brilliant for a short striker). His positional knowledge is second to none(when Valencia scored in the champs league last week he was standing basically on the goal line ready for any cross/fumble).

Michael owen is the best finisher in this country and, if fit, HAS to go to the world cup in my view.

Imagine it, last minute, we need a goal. Who do you want the ball to fall to 6yards out? Him? Or CARLTON COLE?

Yes closest player now in style to Jimmy Greaves at his best...:bowdown:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
At the moment i would take an in form Defoe over Owen as they are very similar that is why for the same reason you should only take one of Cole or Heskey.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Owen is finished. His legs gave out 5 years ago and he'll never get that pace back that he used to rely on
You obviously didn't see his goal against Barnsley - it was the sudden burst of pace that gave him the chance to score.

I actually think he'll benefit from being at ManUre. They won't need him to play week in, week out like Newcastle did and if he does get injured he won't be rushed back. You could well find that by the end of this season he's match fit and scoring goals but without being knackered from playing 50 games in the season. I'd certainly include him in the England squad, though as said before he doesn't combine well with Rooney

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here